More BoB movie stars: Spitfires and Hurricanes

Hello Gents! I've finally got the next set of projects started. Continuing my movie stars theme, The BoB Messrs (shameless promotion here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...howtopic=61044) looked very lonely in my case so out from the closet (that's my closet chedders, not the Mrs! :rofl: ) emerged a 1/ 48 Hasegawa Hurricane and Spitfire Mk IX. From my before mentioned project instigating friend, arrived a 1/48 Revell Spitfire and another Hasegawa Hurri. ("As long as your building those could you...."). Well now, I couldn't argue with that logic so I now have a work desk full of bits an pieces. I thought to myself 'He's right! What's one more?' so to continue with that flawless logic, :hmmm: if I can find the kit in my stash, I will include Rolls Royce's Spit Mk XIV in the build, but finish it the paint scheme it wore just before the filming for 'Battle of Britain' started.

Does anyone have any information on the cockpit colours for the Spitfires used in the movie? As the filming was almost 30 years after the battle, I imagine there was much updating and overhauling done to the aircraft before they were withdrawn from service. Preparation for the movie would be limited to what would be seen on camera. Some of the close-ups indicate at least the portion behind the seat were painted black with green armor plate, but I think that may have been a static prop. I have not been able to get any colour info on the flying aircraft from my repeated watching of my copy of BoB! (is it possible to wear out a DVD? :confused: ) Any help would be greatly appreciated!

So here goes!

Eric

DSCN3694.jpg

DSCN3695.jpg

DSCN3698.jpg

This shows about 1/3 of my stash (yes, I know I have a problem :frantic: ). ! This is why I hope I can find my Spit Mk XIV

DSCN3699.jpg

Edited by Yankymodeler

Hells Bells Eric!!!!

I'll say you've got a problem.

You're better stocked than a lot of model shops :thumbsup:

OK,when you talk of Rolls's Spit,do you mean their old one,the XIV?

If you do and you mean when she was done in civvy colours during the '60's as G-ALGT,

I could well have some nice pics of her wearing that outfit before she went into her film togs

for the B of B.

Mark

Mark, that is exactly the Spit I mean. I have a pic supposedly taken in the summer of '68 showing G-ALGT in a gorgeous white and blue scheme. I'd appreciate any other shots you might have of her. I think it would be a nice contrast to the drab paint going on the movie aircraft.

At last count, I had 1326 unbuilt kits in the closet. My dad is even worse with just over 2000!

I had one of those Revell Spitfire MkIIs. I bought it in Wal-Mart on a holiday in Florida a few years ago. $5.00 at a time when the exchange rate was more advantageous to Brits. Very nice decals on a very old and not terribly accurate kit. An enjoyable build all the same. Just don't put it next to the Tamiya MkI!

robw_uk,

I've been saving those kits for awhile, now that I've finished the BoB Ha1112s I thought it would be a good time to get them built. The B-25s are marked for two Catch 22 aircraft, one of the Tallmantz camera ships and a MATS VIP transport (there's one hidden behind the door!), but thanks for the offer! :D The two He-111s visible just below the Mitchells will be converted to BoB CASAs in the not tooo distant future.

• 3 weeks later...

Once again a long time between updates, I never seem to get to work on my models as much as I think I will. Cockpits have been the focus. As these models are being built for display rather than any attempts at winning contest awards, the cockpits have been built pretty much OOB. I will add seat belts and shoulder harnesses before closing up the interiors. The kit detail is very nice, and a wash and dry brushing results in a satisfactory looking component particularly when so little can be seen in the completed model. Although civilian owned by the time of filming BoB, there didn't seem to be much changed in the cockpits from the aircraft's service configuration. One change I did make to help reinforce the image that the aircraft were no longer stock military was the deletion of the seat back armor plate from the Spitfire cockpit. This would reduce weight thereby increasing performance, and make maintenance somewhat easier. From studying photographs taken during the filming I noted that the flying aircraft retained the upper armor plate. My guess this was done for authenticity and would match close ups of the actors in cockpit sets that the upper plate was clearly visible.

I forgot :oops: to take pics of the Spitfire cockpit side before I glued the fuselage together, so these are the best shots I can get.

DSCN3983.jpg

DSCN3997.jpg

DSCN3986.jpg

Got a bit of an assembly line going here! Out of sight is the Revell Spitfire Mk II and the Academy Spitfire Mk XIV that will be finished as Rolls Royce blue and white scheme it wore just prior to filming BoB

DSCN3985.jpg

DSCN3991.jpg

DSCN3992.jpg

DSCN3987.jpg

DSCN3994.jpg

Edited by Yankymodeler

A little bit of progress this week. The final detailing of the cockpits was done with the addition of seat belts and control columns and a bit of dry brushing to bring out some of the raised detailing. It might be noted that the belts and shoulder harness are not correct for the summer of 1940 time frame. I felt that by the time these aircraft were used to film 'Battle of Britain' the ubiquitous Sutton harness would have been replaced by updated units. I substituted a version of the post war Sutton QS harness as a likely upgrade. This type of harness was characterized by a circular box that the ends of the belts and the shoulder harness were inserted and released by twisting a handle on the face. These were built up from lead foil and slices of plastic rod.

DSCN4005.jpg

DSCN4006.jpg

DSCN4011.jpg

DSCN4015.jpg

DSCN4017.jpg

DSCN4018.jpg

Panel lines are re-scribed on Hurricane wings after piecing them together from a multitude of possible different configurations!

DSCN4021.jpg

Shell ejection ports are filled on the Spitfire wings. The movie aircraft had been of course been de-armed and armament holes covered long before being used in the filming. The 'shell ports' seen in the move were painted on with black paint!

DSCN4023.jpg

At last the airframes begin to come together. I deviated from my usual method and attached the lower wing to the fuselage of the Spitfire before gluing on the tops of the wings. With the addition of styrene tabs seen on the fuselage, I hope to get a better fit of the wing roots.

DSCN4022.jpg

The fleet begins to take form! The Revell Spitfire is in green. Out of sight is an Academy Mk XIV being built as Rolls Royce's G-ALGT just prior to the filming

DSCN4024.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Not too much progress to report but a modeling story that will become humorous to me with the passing of time. <_<

The construction of the Mk 'Haddie" Spitfire suffered a major setback that started as I was giving the assembled airframe a last look before attaching the canopy. When I glued the top and bottom halves of the wing together I introduced an upward sweeping curve to the wings when viewed from head on. :oops: Although this model is meant to be of an WW II fighter being flown for movie work in the late 1960's, I didn't think I could pass off the distortion of the lovely lines of the Spit as a worn and bent airframe! I reasoned a little bit of straightening using hot water and steam should do the trick. To make a long and painful story short, the graceful Spitfire wing profile was so twisted and warped as to be unrecoverable. No matter I thought, I have another Hasegawa Mk IX in the closet, I will simply replace the wings with a new set. :fool: The reasoning being the modifications to the wings being much less work than the effort spent on completing the cockpit. Much easier said than done, the airframe proving to be impossible to disassemble without severely damaging the wing roots beyond repair. :badmood:

The final results are shown below, the only salvageable part the cockpit tub!

DSCN4030.jpg

A new kit was brought forth from the depths of the closet and as soon as I recovered from my self induced grumpiness, a new cockpit was painted and the airframe assembled.

DSCN4039.jpg

DSCN4037.jpg

The 'new' Spitfire airframe

DSCN4042.jpg

The elevators and rudder were posed deflected to add a bit of interest on the Spit....

DSCN4044.jpg

....and the Hurri.

DSCN4045.jpg

The underside of the nose of one of the Hurricanes showing the aluminum tube I use to install the propellers.

DSCN4046.jpg

Ready for installation of canopies and then paint!

DSCN4047.jpg

Edited by Yankymodeler

• 2 weeks later...

Short update. I only had time to get the radiators attached, a few of the smaller details like radio masts and a smaller compressor cooling scoop on the Mk 'Haddie' done. Canopies on, masked and an initial coat of paint revealing a bit more work to do on surface nicks and scratches. :weep: I used a light blue for the bottom color as a match to the movie aircraft. the entire upper surfaces were sprayed with dark green for a base.

I was hoping to enter the Spit in the Spitfire group build, but to be honest, even with the setback I encountered, I had too much done on the model before the start date to be fair. Here are a few pics of the latest progress. The Revell Mk II was not ready for paint yet, but is still part of this series and not far behind. (Don't worry SW, I'll have it ready for delivery with the Hurri my project instigator friend!) :bye:

DSCN4275.jpg

DSCN4279.jpg

DSCN4277.jpg

Impressive project and an impressive stash. Do I spy an Accurate Miniatures Racing Corsair in your pile??? I didn't know they did one. I take it its the Special Hobby kit in an AM box?is it?? I was going to do a collection of early post war racers in 48th but decided against it and sold the 3 kits I had. I'll stick to 72nd for this theme but I do 48th in other subjects though.

Paul.

Paul J

I believe you're correct, the AM kit is the same as Special Hobby. I've not looked too closely, it was a gift from my oft-mention project instigator friend. I too have plans for a series of Cleveland era racers, might get started after I get this BoB movie series done. After the Spits n Hurris, I have a couple of Monogram He-111s to convert into CASAs so the Hispanos aren't lonely, then I'm going to call the project complete! :cheers:

Eric

• 1 month later...

Another installment of my BoB movie stars project. I have been working on a series of models depicting the aircraft that were used to make the 1969 film "The Battle of Britain". The Hispanos that played Messerschmitts have been completed and posted previously, the Heinkels yet to come!

The Mk IX Spitfire and both Hurricanes are 1/48 Hasegawa, the Spitfire Mk II a vintage Revell.

I finally managed to get to the final paint, as usual taking me much longer than I ever imagined! I used Model Master enamels, RAF Dark Green and Dark Earth for the upper colors, and MM Duck Egg Blue that appeared to be a close match to the movie aircraft for the lower. I found a picture of the aircraft parked together with only the fuselage roundels applied in what seemed to be a pre-filming line up. This gave me a chance to see the style and pattern of paint before the making of the movie took it's toll. The demarcation between the colors appeared to be a fairly tight but definitely feathered edge. Pictures taken as the filming progressed showed touch up painting didn't always follow the same treatment. When I began to research the upper surface patterns, I quickly discovered the movie aircraft were close to but didn't match exactly any published wartime pattern. I looked at early and late, A and B schemes and even tried reversing the colors. I found most of the differences were on the tails and I think the final result is pretty close.

DSCN4345.jpg

DSCN4374.jpg

A Mk IX Spitfire masquerading as an earlier mark ( Mk I or II) This will be either MH434 or MH415. I've not yet decided which costume she'll wear.

DSCN4351.jpg

DSCN4356.jpg

DSCN4367.jpg

This Hurricane will be finished as the first one to appear in the film as the British were making their stand in France. I believe this is LF363

DSCN4358.jpg

This Hurri will be marked as Keith Parks' aircraft. (PZ865) I have tried to emphasize the aircraft's role as a movie prop by showing over-spray in the wheel wells and radiator openings. If it didn't show on camera, it was of little concern!

DSCN4355.jpg

DSCN4353.jpg

DSCN4378.jpg

The navigation lights are the old 'drill a hole and fill it with paint' trick......

DSCN4387.jpg

......while the very visible landing light received a lens with supporting framework to add a bit of interest.

DSCN4382.jpg

Hope these are of some interest to someone out there, they have been a bit more effort than I expected but I think very satisfying when series is complete and on display together.

Eric

Edited by Yankymodeler

Good stuff Eric.

I was wondering when you'd show us more.

Can't wait to see G-ALGT,you know my interest in it.

Mark

a

I should be able to get some pics of G-ALGT soon Mark. I was going to use the Academy kit, but as it will be on disply with a number of Hasegawa builds, I want to show a definite progression of development. I am currently planning to use a modified Academy nose on a Hasegawa Mk IX. Gonna be quite a conversion! I'm still undecided on what color the cockpit was during that time. I've heard from a knowledgeable source (Edgar of course) that he believes the cockpit to be the typical green. I found a admittedly poor quality pic taken of the left side of G-ALGT with the door open and it appears very dark (black perhaps?) with no hint of green. My thought is if Rolls Royce rebuilt or overhauled the aircraft, they would have used the latest and best components (this was before the age of 'proper restorations remember) and black was the cockpit color of choice about that time. Does anyone out there have information?

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you who recall my statement at the beginning of this project that I was expecting the build to be easier than the Hispanos because I was going to be able to mix and match parts from the Hasegawa kits rather than having to modify everything, I may have been somewhat optimistic in my estimation and would appreciate not being reminded of my earlier statement! :)

The basic markings are done as well as an initial round of washes and highlights. I'm still somewhat undecided on which specific markings each model will have as the aircraft wore numerous markings for the filming.

Now where should I start? :hmmm:

DSCN4403.jpg

After a bit of a struggle with getting the decals to settle into the panel lines, began to add the wheels and exhaust. As I was dry fitting the wheels, I noticed that the Hurricanes looked bowlegged. Further investigation revealed that I had been fooled into setting not only the axles at an angle but also the struts!

DSCN4411.jpg

The struts are supported by a retraction linkage that forms a forms a angled brace when the gear is extended, resulting in a robust affair that would have to be repositioned all the way down to the hydraulic retraction cylinders. This prevented me from simply straightening the struts. As I had noticed this problem only after adding gear doors and brake lines, major changes were impractical. The easiest solution was to slightly lengthen the last link in retraction struts.

DSCN4413.jpg

A very fine toothed razor saw was used very gently and the link removed. I grasped the undercarriage leg as close to the attachment to the wing as I could and bent the strut straight. All four (2 Hurries remember?) did crack slightly but by applying plastic solvent with a brush repairs were effected without damaging the paint work. A replacement retraction link was cut from styrene rod and glued into place.

DSCN4415.jpg

After touching up the paint, the correction was complete and the stance of the Hurris was much improved.

DSCN4454.jpg

]

Anyway, sorry if I rambled on, here are a few pics of the progress so far!

DSCN4453.jpg

DSCN4473.jpg

This Hurri will be either Kieth Parks' or have the "MI" codes.

DSCN4469.jpg

This will probably be the Hurri in the first scene, Jamie's "H"

DSCN4446.jpg

DSCN4470.jpg

DSCN4466.jpg

DSCN4464.jpg

DSCN4439.jpg

The Mk IX is the Hasegawa, the Mk II an ancient Revell

DSCN4436.jpg

Edited by Yankymodeler

• 3 weeks later...

This should be the last update before completion for this drawn out saga. :yahoo: Got the markings complete after much search and pause on the DVD player to attempt to get the proper serial numbers with the codes. As can be seen by the gloss tires, I need to get the final flat finish applied along with the fiddly bits like pitot tubes and canopies. The white codes really make them look like the movie!

DSCN4505.jpg

DSCN4514.jpg

DSCN4513.jpg

The correction to the Hurri's gear has made a big improvement in achieving that characteristic solid stance

DSCN4519.jpg

Yes as can be seen by the Acadamy Mk XIV, I'm starting G-ALGT!

DSCN4522.jpg

Edited by Yankymodeler