Monogram 1/72nd B-52H conversion.

Just found this thread so have been catching up.

Build looks great and I am looking forward to the finished project.

Regarding the availability of the Monogram kit, Revell is rereleasing it this year though it will be the X-15 carrier instead of the bomber. I have the parts from the old Monogram kit in the basement which I was planning on converting into the NASA bird but with the new release, don't need to. But, not sure I want to put out the cash the new kit will cost. If anyone wants to grab the new kit when it is out and swap the NASA parts for the Bomber parts, I may like going that way better.

Re your question about the flaps.

Needs some work methinks.

W

Yes I see your point. Wish I'd seen this earlier. May well remove the flaps at some point then and do some surgery!

Over the last couple of days I've got the BUFF finished. :thumbsup:

First came a couple of thin coats of Xtracolour Matt varnish. It's the first time I've used it and I was most impressed. It gives a slight sheen, creating a great scale effect of the sheen seen on the real B-52Hs.

Next I completed the bomb-bay by adding 2 x GBU-10 2000lb bombs and 4 x GBU-12 500lb bombs. I'm not sure if this load is 100% accurate, but it certainly adds some visual interest to the underside:

IMG_0481.jpg

Then I did some light weathering. I didn't want to over-do it as I've seen many photos during my research showing current B-52Hs to be pretty clean and well maintained.

I kept the main weathering to the engines, the flap areas and the underside of the wings behind the engine nacelles as they all seem to have black and sooty exhaust stains. This was done with a mixture of the airbrush and Promodellers' wash:

IMG_0483.jpg

IMG_0484.jpg

Finally the wheels were added, along with a few fiddly bits such as Littlecars.com landing and identification lights and windscreen wipers from stretched sprue.

Here she is in all her glory... in the BUFF so to speak (sorry couldn't resist!)

IMG_0490.jpg

IMG_0494.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_0502.jpg

IMG_0491.jpg

IMG_0489.jpg

This was a most enjoyable conversion, one which I started thinking it would be a lot more difficult than it was. There's nothing copious amounts of filler and a few sheets of sandpaper can't tackle...

I must also thank Mike Williams and VG33 who were generous enough to donate decals for this project. Thanks chaps, and I hope the finished model hasn't disappointed.

Tom

• Like 2

Tom.

The build is SPECTACULAR ..and you should be PROUD of this BRILLIANT work Sir.

HOUSTON

:yikes::yahoo::heart:

Thanks HOUSTON. Your comments are much appreciated!

• 5 years later...

Holly thread revival!

I missed this build all those years ago Tom, lovely detailing work as usually :thumbsup:

I skimmed through the thread and was not sure it you mentioned it, do you recall whose decals you used?

Blimey this is a blast from the past!

I used Cutting Edge decals for this build if memory serves correctly - our very own host Mike kindly donated them to me as they were OPP at the time.

This kit sadly succumbed to a house move a few years back and received irreparable damage so I've got the AMT kit with Lone Star engines to do another. I've also just bought a new set of decals for it directly from Cutting Edge themselves so am good to go when the time comes.

• Like 2