Hawk pylons

Dr S

Does anyone have a good side photo at 90 degrees (or even a proper drawing) of the Hawk's pylon

I want to carve some out of plastic card in 1/32!?!

Gav

check out my walkround in the resource section, if not i have the plans at home somwhere ill try and dig them out

Does anyone have a good side photo at 90 degrees (or even a proper drawing) of the Hawk's pylon

Gav

Hi Gav,

Oh no, you've not caught the 1/32nd Hawk bug as well! :tease:

Shaun.

Gav

Hi Gav,

We use the same pylons on the T-45. I will take some photos at work this week and post them here for everyone.

Gabe

Hi Gav,

Oh no, you've not caught the 1/32nd Hawk bug as well! :tease:

Shaun.

Shaun!

oh yeah!

emptied 3 Argos shops in Swansea of their Hawks

started the cockpit and the seats are terrible.

they have omehow lost about 6mm of height below the head box and thus the seat pan sits half way up the rocket rails!

lots of cut-and-shut going on in my house! Have added the height, moved the seat pan to the bottom of the rails, reduced the size of the base to fit in the gap in the tub and started making belts and cushions from Warhammer green putty (which was fun and turned out OK)

I think my first one will be the black 19sqn anniv. scheme

Gav

Hi Gav,

We use the same pylons on the T-45. I will take some photos at work this week and post them here for everyone.

Gabe

thanks mate!

Hi Gav,

Don't start picking faults or we will never build the kit :bleh:

On a serous note it should be a good start for nice 1/32nd Hawk.

I'm planning on sticking a couple of pilots in mine, so that should hide most of the seat problem. The seat are strange at the bottom, don't know why Revell did not just mold them flat instead of the small rail attachment provided?

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun

Shaun!

oh yeah!

emptied 3 Argos shops in Swansea of their Hawks

started the cockpit and the seats are terrible.

they have omehow lost about 6mm of height below the head box and thus the seat pan sits half way up the rocket rails!

lots of cut-and-shut going on in my house! Have added the height, moved the seat pan to the bottom of the rails, reduced the size of the base to fit in the gap in the tub and started making belts and cushions from Warhammer green putty (which was fun and turned out OK)

I think my first one will be the black 19sqn anniv. scheme

Gav

thanks mate!

Perhaps someone simply didn't motor the seat pan down?

Looking at this photo (borrowed from another thread):

re2005101.JPG

You can see the bottom of the GGRA (Gun and Guide Rail Assembly) at the back, and what I can only assume is a representation of the rocket pack underneath, although it doesn't really look quite right. To be honest it does look like the seat pan is motored all the way up.

I see there's a slightly dodgy representation of the BTRU (Barostatic Time Release Unit) on the RH side of the seat structure aft of the head box, and a slightly better drogue gun on the other side. Can't see whether there's any HPRU (Harness Power Retraction Unit) detail but it doesn't look like it.

At least in that photo they aren't the worst representations of Mk10s I've seen.

Edited by Phil

Perhaps someone simply didn't motor the seat pan down?

Looking at this photo (borrowed from another thread):

re2005101.JPG

You can see the bottom of the GGRA (Gun and Guide Rail Assembly) at the back, and what I can only assume is a representation of the rocket pack underneath, although it doesn't really look quite right. To be honest it does look like the seat pan is motored all the way up.

I see there's a slightly dodgy representation of the BTRU (Barostatic Time Release Unit) on the RH side of the seat structure aft of the head box, and a slightly better drogue gun on the other side. Can't see whether there's any HPRU (Harness Power Retraction Unit) detail but it doesn't look like it.

At least in that photo they aren't the worst representations of Mk10s I've seen.

here's what i did to mine

seats.jpg

based on the photo in aeroguide no 1 (its the old seat with the old headbox)

I used the rocket rail as a spine. Put the head box at the top, seat pan at the bottom and added a card spacer and am in the process of making some cushions from putty.

Gav

OK Its a dumb question - but are these pylons the same , or simliar to the Tornado's outer pylons? - from what I remember , they look simliar...

and yes I have the 32nd Hawk bug too!

Definately not the same as Tornado pylons! they are very different in size. Also

The Hawk uses 119 Ejector release units (ERU) which accepts Bail type store lugs (These are the ones that are like screw in loops) wheras the RAF tornado uses Light Duty Ejector Release Units (LEDRU) that only accept MACE lugs which are like square blocks and do not require any swaybracing, so a Tornado pylon does not have swaybraces.

Selwyn

Those pylons are very similar to the RAF Hawk pylons.

The only difference I can see is the fairing from the wing to the pylon at the front. Ours is more vertical, still angled but more vertical. I think also, the top of the pylon from this fairing to the front of the pylon is parallel to the bottom of the pylon.

Need to check my refs

here's what i did to mine

seats.jpg

based on the photo in aeroguide no 1 (its the old seat with the old headbox)

I used the rocket rail as a spine. Put the head box at the top, seat pan at the bottom and added a card spacer and am in the process of making some cushions from putty.

Gav

It looks like you've cut the rocket pack off? Although on the Revell seats it looks like there's a bit too much of a gap between the bottom of the seat pan and the rocket pack it should still be there as the front of the rocket tubes are visible when the seat is in the aircraft.

Just as another point of interest, between the seat main beam rails there sits the seat actuator, this is an electric motor that winds a screw jack to adjust the height of the seatpan. From memory the top end is attached to the HPRU and the bottom end to the seat pan (obviously). The seat pan slides up and down on two chromed tubes fitted to the seat's main beams. None of this is visible on a model seat though as it's all hidden behind the seat pan and backrest.

Just to be a bit picky, there's no such thing as a rocket rail. The big tube behind the seat is called a gun, which is a telescoping assembly with three large carts in it to actually get the seat out of the aircraft. The gun has guide rails attached on which the seat itself slides down. The only thing keeping the seat into the aircraft is the top latch assembly, basically a large spring loaded plunger that engages the top of the Gun. The seat's only contact with the guide rails is three slipper pads per side, each about 3/4 inch wide and 1 1/2 inches long. The rocket motor doesn't actually fire until the seat has travelled 72 inches, when the remote rocket initiator sear is pulled by a (72 inch) long steel cable. Obviously at the 72 inch mark the seat has already separated from the GGRA and the aircraft.

Edited by Phil

Those pylons are very similar to the RAF Hawk pylons.

The only difference I can see is the fairing from the wing to the pylon at the front. Ours is more vertical, still angled but more vertical. I think also, the top of the pylon from this fairing to the front of the pylon is parallel to the bottom of the pylon.

Need to check my refs

Now that you mention it, I see that there are some detail differences, namely access panels at the forward end of the pylon. Now that I have looked closer at the few few Hawk pylon photos I could find (mostly from Darren Mottram's Hawk 127 reference pages), there are detail differences but the shape looks identical and many of the details are the same (but definitely not all).

The top of the pylon on the outboard pylons on the Mk 127 looks to be parallel to the bottom, but this doesn't appear to be the case on the inboard pylons.

quick question

superb photos

any idea of the length and thickness of the pylon??

Need to be able to scale it to 1/32

Gav

I won't be able to take measurements until Monday, but I would be happy to measure one for you. I've just texted a friend who may still be there to see if he can do it sooner. I will post as soon as I have the dimensions.

-Gabe

Now that you mention it, I see that there are some detail differences, namely access panels at the forward end of the pylon. Now that I have looked closer at the few few Hawk pylon photos I could find (mostly from Darren Mottram's Hawk 127 reference pages), there are detail differences but the shape looks identical and many of the details are the same (but definitely not all).

The top of the pylon on the outboard pylons on the Mk 127 looks to be parallel to the bottom, but this doesn't appear to be the case on the inboard pylons.

I won't be able to take measurements until Monday, but I would be happy to measure one for you. I've just texted a friend who may still be there to see if he can do it sooner. I will post as soon as I have the dimensions.

-Gabe

you are a star!!!

thx

Gav

OK guys,

Sorry for the delay, but finally got some info and measurements for you. Sat down and spoke with some ordies who have been on the T-45 since day one. Turns out, our original pylons had the very same shape as the pylons used on the British Hawks. After the slatted wing was fitted to the T-45 they actually sent all the pylons back to BAe to be modified to provide clearance from the slats. A "kink" was added to the top of the forward pylon to provide slat clearance. The below scan does a nice job at showing the change in shape:

Capture5.jpg

The good news for the Hawk builder is that the overall dimensions remain the same as the original pylon, which should be dimensionally identical to a standard Hawk pylon although there are a few detail differences. Dimensions are shown on the photos below:

Capture3-1.jpg

Capture4-1.jpg

Note that the suspension lugs are have standard 14" spacing. The sway braces are 17" apart. The width of the pylon is 3 3/4".

Please let me know if you need any additional measurements. I hope you guys find this useful.

Cheers,

Gabe