Tamiya 1/35th Hetzer.

Siggi

No, haven't tried retarder, I'm like you and just press on like a masochist. :lol:

It was close to taking a bath in the alcohol but I figured I'd persevere. It's not exactly as I'd hoped but I think it's viable. The mistake I made was spraying the hairspray onto the salt to fix it rather than putting the salt onto wet hairspray, which would have made things a lot easier (and better looking). Too much camo, not enough rust. And the cursed Future shine, which is the only way I was able to bring out the colour and depth.

I put the whole thing into a tub of warm water and scrubbed with a brush to get the salt off, and as much paint as I could. It was going through to the plastic in the end so I stopped. Hence the need to have put the hairspray down first.

A wash of very dilute dark earth Mig pigment.

A wash of oil umber.

A wash of oil Sienna.

It all looked very flat when it had dried so on with a coat of future, which is where it's at now.

hetzer07.jpg

hetzer08.jpg

hetzer09.jpg

hetzer10.jpg

hetzer11.jpg

Edited by Siggi

Wheels dry-fitted and the new stencils used (with which I am mightily pleased :) ).

hetzer12.jpg

I'm off out tomorrow to see if I can find some of that Windsor & Newton matt varnish. I tried some Ronseal matt wood-varnish today, unfortunately it doesn't do what it says on the tin. Maybe because my model isn't made of wood.

Edited by Siggi

Three WIPs of the super-detailing/weathering. I've found a pot of Aeromaster Clear Flat that I must have had for around ten years and a test on the reverse-glacis took the horrible shine right off. I'll be airbrushing it on and hopefully it'll tone-down the levels of orange as well as cure the shine. The camera sees a lot more intensely than the naked eye however so it doesn't look so bad in the flesh.

hetzer13.jpg

hetzer14.jpg

hetzer15.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I had a bash at the diorama using DAS, but it shrunk and warped the base-plate like a bannana. Two weeks later I decided to give plasticine a go. I had intended to coat it with plaster of paris, but didn't want to lose the detail. I opted for trying spray-on PVC and it worked, I was able to paint on another coat followed by a base-coat of acrylic colour (umber). Perfectly sealed but I can still modify it any way I want.

Anyway, lot of work still to go but here are some WiP pics:

dio01.jpg

dio02.jpg

dio03.jpg

Siggi

I love the Hetzer - it really looks like it's been through the meatgrinder and it looks fine for the dio.

I'm sure you've spotted it yourself, but the shell hole doesn't look right at all. I know next to nowt about the process of building a dio, but I THINK that I would probably avoid the raised edges on the hole. I reckon a flat lead-up to the hole with a very slight incline would be more right.

Siggi

I love the Hetzer - it really looks like it's been through the meatgrinder and it looks fine for the dio.

I'm sure you've spotted it yourself, but the shell hole doesn't look right at all. I know next to nowt about the process of building a dio, but I THINK that I would probably avoid the raised edges on the hole. I reckon a flat lead-up to the hole with a very slight incline would be more right.

I think you're absolutely right. :ditto:

• 1 month later...

Hi chaps. Grass finally arrived two days ago so I've been able to pretty much finish off the dio.

dio08.jpg

dio07.jpg

dio06.jpg

The water will probably need another layer, it seems to shrink a fair amount when paint has been added to it.

Any criticisms and suggestions welcome, ground-work isn't my strongpoint (but boy, the ready-made stuff available sure makes it a lot easier!).

Personally I'd have mounted it on a plain, polished plinth so as not to take the eye from the B R E A T H T A K I N G paint/rust/salt work. Stunning effects, simply stunning :yahoo:

Ian

Edited by Ian

Ho hum, back to the salt. I shot two tests on the belly, both enamel, one over silicone oil and the other over hairspray. The oil has potential but would maybe be better with acrylic as the enamel seemed to smear and leave a tone over the rust. On the hairspray it just completely came away.

So, salt with hairspray to fix it in place (previous uses of this technique have seen the airbrush blasting the salt off, not good). And going with acrylic again.

hetzer05.jpg

Hi Siggi

Can I ask what type of salt you used.

Thanks

Paul