1/144 Arii Orion

Hi Guys,

well, its been a while since ive been able to do any real modelling, due to outside commitments, but ive managed to get this done over the last few weeks. Its the 1/144 ARII orion, bought from HLJ and its great. I saw a pic of a dirty, patchy orion on the web, and decided I would have a bash at trying something similar. I recently bought an airbrush, and this is the first time I have ever used one (another reason for going for the low viz option). I wanted to add a bit of life to it, so i put in some torpedo's and what I think are harpoons, borrowed from various other kits. I couldn't find any pics on the web or in my books of what the bomb bay looked like, so its really just a best guess.

Hope you like it, I had fun doing it.

fishingandorion057.jpg

fishingandorion064.jpg

fishingandorion060.jpg

fishingandorion062.jpg

fishingandorion063.jpg

Thanks for looking

Tim

• Like 1

Hi Tim,

Nice build, i like the pannel line detail. Did u airbrush the base - Card sheet looks real.

Cheers,

rishi

Thanks mate,

The base was bought from a local model show, I cant remember the name of who sold them, sorry.

Tim

Nice build of a "classic"

Like Dave posted its hard to think back as to how old this kit is.

I bought mine at the IPMS Kit Swap in Donnigton ( still unbuilt ...there should be a hangs head in shame emoticon) and its was an old kit then. Im not sure but I think it was an "LS" kit.

Perhaps yours will be the inspiration needed.

orionart.jpg Thought Id add a little modelling nostalgia.

Edited by ancient mariner

Tim,

Excellent model, love the weathering.

I need to get a 1/144 Orion to convert to the US Customs AEW version. Can you please expand on what HLJ is? Where did you purchase it from? How much was it and is it still available do you know? Thanks in anticipation.

Ancient Mariner, do you want to sell yours by any chance?

Cheers

Ian S.

Tim,

Excellent model, love the weathering.

I need to get a 1/144 Orion to convert to the US Customs AEW version. Can you please expand on what HLJ is? Where did you purchase it from? How much was it and is it still available do you know? Thanks in anticipation.

Ancient Mariner, do you want to sell yours by any chance?

Cheers

Ian S.

Thanks guys for all the kind words. I didnt realise when I bought it that it was the old tooling, in fact I didnt realise until recently! To be honest, considering its age, it went together really well, not much filler at all and really just a bit of sanding on the seems required. The decals though are what make this version of the kit, they are a dream. each engine has 3 decals per blade, inc manufacturers makings, warning markings and maintenance info!

HLJ stands for HOBBY LINK JAPAN. It is a web shop from Japan, and you can get loads of good, small scale stuff, and the postage is very reasonable!

Just type in HLJ to google and you should find it. i believe they have a few left and they are £11.66

Thanks again, I wouldnt mind doing another, but this time in full high viz USN makings, maybe even convert to an EP-3.

Tim

• 4 years later...

Resurrection of an old thread...love the finish and paint job, are they the kit decals or from an aftermarket set?

I just picked one of these kits today and the decals are shot, so need to find replacements.