Lockheed XP-55 `Skunk`

tc2324

My idea is pretty simple, although I`m sure the build wont be...!

Lockheed wanted to keep up with the `Jones` mid way through WW2 and fitted jet engines supplied by Britain to their P-38.

Lots of dicing and splicing to be done during the build as it`s a kit bash so I`m glad it`s a long GB.

Piccie of the two kits....!

011-18.jpg

Managed to grab an hour today and start this bit of `what if`. As you may know already, I`m not really a cockpit person but thought I`d try and make an effort with this one.

016-14.jpg

017-11.jpg

Also come to the conclusion that I`m going to have to make both kits and then cut them to size and fit. Oh well, who said this was going to be easy....?

Thanks chaps for the comments. They always say there is a fine line between genius and madness.

I thinks I`m the latter....!

Anyways...., end of day progress. Everything built, painted and weathered.

Engines - check!

Cockpit sections - check!

Main weapons - check!

020-13.jpg

021-12.jpg

I must admit I'm struggling to visualise this one, but sounds like incredible fun. Great start.

A couple of pictures to give you an idea of what the finished model will look like.

All held together with blue tack at the moment with lots of filing and filler ahead of me to make sure I get those few important millimetres so the tail section straightens out.

003-21.jpg

004-24.jpg

That looks pretty good, tail booms and surfaces might need some thermal protection but the jet wash over the elavators and rudders will enhance the aircraft's manuveriability.

Update and pics as usual. I have `dug out` a new u/c bay and attached the engines. The tail length has been shortened and attached to the out wings. I used some 1/72 fuel tanks to `cap` the front of them and used sponge to slot the wings into the tail..! (Don`t ask...) have put plenty of filler around the tail and wing connection and will file it into shape tomorrow. Also added blue tack to the cockpit section to add weight and started on the u/c which is from the Meteor. Happy days.....!

004-25.jpg

003-22.jpg

Wowza.....that's a whole lot of major surgery...this will be some unique a/c .........!!

Carry on.....

WIFF Cheers,

ggc

Cheers CPNGROATS, with a bit of luck something like this one hasn`t been done before.

Put the u/c in place today, (but not fixed as I still have work to do on them), to sse what it looks like standing on its own legs. Looks pretty `squat` to me but seems about right for jets of that time. Also got most of the smoothing down of the wing and tail section and seems to coming on ok.

001-27.jpg

002-28.jpg

003-23.jpg

That's looking the "BOMB" if'n U kno what I mean.......as Forrest Gump often said..." unique is as unique does"

WIFF'N ON Cheers,

ggc

Looking good a bit like a Vampire on steroids.

Pretty much completed the build and put the covers on everything. U/C still to be done but added a couple of bits to make it interesting, so now the `tweaking` begins.....!

005-24.jpg

008-21.jpg

Wow the wing span is huge thats going to look sweet painted. Great Job on the build it does look very venom or vampire like

Russ