TSR 2 Airfix 1/48 Scale

Martian

WOW! well done martin ive been watching this for ages and you have done an amazing job there, so much detail i wouldnt be suprised if it had working engines and could fly, i really like the tinted windows just super.

cheers rob

• 1 month later...

With this comming back up to the top I thought he'd knocked it off the table or something!!!

Si.

(Wonder if it will hit the 1000 replies mark)??!!

Edited by Dr.Jellyfingers

Dedication looks just like this.

Thanks Don, I fear its much nearer to mindless obsession than dedication! :mental:

Martin

Edited by martin hale

Thanks Don, I fear its much nearer to mindless obsession than dedication! :mental:

Martin

That's an interesting point. When does passion become obsession? When does a hobby become a pathology?

I suggest it's when it prevents 'normal' life happening, by interfering with family relationships, work commitments, even one's health.

Oh dear. Maybe I need to talk to someone about this...

Whats stickied?

It's making the post a permanent feature at the very top of the page, forever as reference.

It is seen as the higest praise a forum can bestow and very worthy in this case ;)

Si.

It's making the post a permanent feature at the very top of the page, forever as reference.

It is seen as the higest praise a forum can bestow and very worthy in this case ;)

Si.

Definitely. The definitive guide to building the TSR-2.

Si.

I'm not sure its that good but if someone thinks it would be useful to others and wants to ask Mike or whoever decides these things I have no objection.

Martin

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure how to work this 'reply / comments' thingy, so forgive me if I cock up.

All I wanted to say is, as my first attempt at modelling is going to be the Airfix TSR-2, you have managed to both scare the wits out of what I have in mind to achieve and at the same time given me a real goal.

What a stunning result and what a pricelessly informative thread.

Plainly my final standard will almost certainly be just the wrong side of... rubbish, but your thread has pointed me well on the way to making a decent start.

Many, many thanks.

Dave

Thanks Dave. The thread was by no means intended to scare or put anybody off building this kit, rather to show what could be done with the kit if it was pushed close to its limits. Just cherry pick such parts of the build that suit you. On reflection, I don't think correcting the undercarriage splay was worth all the trouble I went to. You could go for the main undercarriage doors closed and that would save you tons of extra work. The fixes I would always go for are; getting the sit of the windshield right and reshaping that dreadfull hump where the wing meets the fuselage. I would also fill in the curved panel line on the upper front fuselage. I know the panel line should be curved but as it is it accentuates the fact that the fuselage tapers in too much due to it being too wide at the intakes. By rescribing a new line paralel to the line just below it you will create a "tromp l'oeil" effect which seems to draw the eye away from the excessive taper.

Have a bash at the kit and enjoy it for what it is, a 1/48 scale injection moulded TSR2. A few years ago who would ever have thought we would end up with one of those? You will still end up with a cracking model that still looks very much like a TSR2 almost straight from the box.

Martin

Edited by martin hale

Thanks Dave. The thread was by no means intended to scare or put anybody off building this kit, rather to show what could be done with the kit if it was pushed close to its limits. Just cherry pick such parts of the build that suit you. On reflection, I don't think correcting the undercarriage splay was worth all the trouble I went to. You could go for the main undercarriage doors closed and that would save you tons of extra work. The fixes I would always go for are; getting the sit of the windshield right and reshaping that dreadfull hump where the wing meets the fuselage. I would also fill in the curved panel line on the upper front fuselage. I know the panel line should be curved but as it is it accentuates the fact that the fuselage tapers in too much due to it being too wide at the intakes. By rescribing a new line paralel to the line just below it you will create a "tromp l'oeil" effect which seems to dray the eye away from the excessive taper.

Have a bash at the kit and enjoy it for what it is, a 1/48 scale injection moulded TSR2. A few years ago who would ever have thought we would end up with one of thos? You will still end up with a cracking model that still looks very much like a TSR2 almost straight from the box.

Martin

Sorry Martin, I'd hate you to think that you really had scared me off... No, the truth is that your thread has been far more inspirational than threatening.

It must have taken almost as much of your time posting as the actual build itself, but it really is appreciated.

I'd like to take the model as far as my limited skill level will allow.

As well as the 1/48 Airfix, I also bought a 1/48th Dynovector kit (I'm kinda getting caught up in this modelling business) as I'd read that it was much more accurate than the Airfix but, having compared them, I much prefer the level of detail built into the basic Airfix jobbie.

But at the very least it means that I have some white metal parts (undercarriage and cockpit) that I might be able to use, and I might even look at the possibility of marrying the Dynovector front fusalage to the Airfix rear half. (although I suspect that once the ramification of the level of detailel work involved sinks in, I might well defer on that idea)

Anyway, once again Martin, thank you very much for such a detailed and comprehensive explanation.

It has been really helpful.

I hope I don't sound too forward when I say that you have engineered a stunning representation of an amazing aircraft.

Dave

Just remember Martin, we are our own worst critics. Many of us have had long tough slogs where we didn't think the end was as good as we thought it would be when others are blown away by what they see. But, if you walk away from the model after its done for a few days and then come back, you look at it and then go "did I actually build that? it is so good!" (of course, it may be a sign of PTSD where you blank out the bad parts out of your brain). ;)

This TSR-2 is indeed a work of art, as all good models are. Anybody can build a kit, but it takes dedication and skill to make it your own work of art.

BTW, for those of you that DID see this bird in person at Telford, just how good was it? Was it display only or was it entered in one of the categories? Also, did anyone have a thought of taking the model to RAF Cosford and having a few pictures taken of it next to the 1/1 scale bird? That would make for an awsome photo background as I see it.

did anyone have a thought of taking the model to RAF Cosford and having a few pictures taken of it next to the 1/1 scale bird? That would make for an awsome photo background as I see it.

Oh how I wish I had thought of that one whilst I was up there! Its only a few miles down the motorway from Telford! :doh: I would have loved a picture like that alongside the model in my display cabinet. I also keep looking at the thing and thinking that I will have to get round to adding a couple of boarding ladders to it before too long. They would certainly add a bit of extra colout to the model. I also wish I had seen the pictures I was sent, showing the details under the panels on the top of the fuselage in time to incorporate that feature in my build. Still, when I get round to doing my recce bird or my factory diorama.......

Martin

I've just noticed the number of views this topic has received. 116,000 and climbing. That's quite amazing, but utterly deserved... take a bow Martin :clap: