GCN's Build

gcn

Thought I'd get this one up as the forums have been opened up for business.

Hasegawa Spitfire Vb with a host of little touches to spruce the thing up plus some figures and scenery to hopefully create a simple but effective diarama. Roll on the 17th

RofTRS1.jpg

RofTRS-Background.jpg

RofTRSscheme.jpg

I think there's a fair amount of debate whether the actual lightning bolt existed on the actual plane but as it looks so good it would be rude not to include the go faster stripe.

Edited by gcn

gcn: Looks like your "RED STAR" Spitfire will be detailed very well. Lot's of after market goodies...

Cheers,

ggc

• 3 weeks later...

RofTRS-top.jpg

RofTRS-top1.jpg

RofTRS-top2.jpg

Dark Green was Gunze, best paints around imo with the Ocean Grey xtracrylix offering. took me 3 attempts to get the camo scheme right and there is still some touching up to do.

Lightened panels with a light grey plus a thin splash of buff and then darkened panael lines with a brown/black mix although I think its a touch too brown. 1 coat of future so far applied decals will go on tomorrow then it will be masked for the wing walkways.

these decals were too thin for me a real pita to get on correct and once on the model they wouldn't budge

I need to mask another 538 as I thought they were all part of the flash decal but no they were individual numbers so a few f£$%s later they were history

RofTRS-decal.jpg

the camera has really made the red to be much brighter than reality.

Wonderful build so far mate. I didn't understand the problem with the number decal. Did the one on the port side get snafued?

Wonderful build so far mate. I didn't understand the problem with the number decal. Did the one on the port side get snafued?

it did. I thought the bolt and 538 was all 1 decal so I dunked the lot but they all came apart and got into a tangle I couldn't recover from. I've ordered a replacement sheet so I've got another couple of attempts to get it right.

Maybe not best to do them first thing on a bleary eyed Sunday morning

Thanks for the comments guys much appreciated.

Looking very good comrade GCN...! The motherland will be pleased...

Cheers,

ggc

• 2 weeks later...

RofTRS-dio1.jpg

RofTRS-dio2.jpg

RofTRS-dio3.jpg

Not sure whether any of my scenery is accurate for the spitfire but hey ho. The planks were courtesy of Starbucks, the board was a frame out of The Works that was lying around, add to that some static grass and sand and a simple diorama is created.

The planks were given a watery brush with Xtracrylix Ocean Grey and then a thinned mix of India Ink and IPA washed over.

The wall was some balsa wood painted grey then textured paper painted with a watery Vallejo rust then cut out and applied in a brick like pattern.

The flat coat on the A/c was too much tamiya flat and not enough future so I have some white patches that I have tried to soften with a coat of future with an element of success. I think i'll try another flat coat and see what happens.

just figures, jerry cans and oil drums and i'm done

Edited by gcn

This looks so nice.

I must start putting my stuff on diorama basis - it really livens them up. Are you using scatter for the grass of the type beloved of train modellers?

Edited by Maxidad

Hi, thanks for the comments

I'm using static grass. I've blended a Summer and Autumn mix together and then I put it in a puffer bottle (Noch Grass Applicator) to dispense and that makes it stand up slightly rather than lie flat. It really is so easy to apply on top of PVA glue.

I got mine from this outfit http://www.newmodellersshop.co.uk/static-grass.htm. items came the next day too.

I'm calling this done. first attempt at a diorama and figures and it turned out better than I thought it would. Picture taking remains crap though

RofTRS-finish2.jpg

RofTRS-Finish4.jpg

RofTRS-Finish3.jpg

RofTRS-Finish1.jpg

I think my piccies need to be a bit bigger

PICT2344.jpg

Thats better i'll adjust the others later

PICT2346.jpg

PICT2343.jpg

PICT2349.jpg

PICT2344.jpg

Edited by gcn