Zulu War Royal Artillery 19pdr 28mm

spacer.png

spacer.png

These chaps have been lurking in the "to do" drawer for some time. Finally finished and based. They are 28mm Zulu War miniatures from Wargames Foundry. The only problem I had was assembling the canon which came with no instructions so I had to find out what they looked like and then match the bits to what I could see. I was still left with a mysterious wedge shaped piece of whitemetal, which might be a runner from the mould or some significant part of the gun...

All paint by Vallejo, I've just realised in posting these that the wheels should have iron rims, so I'll touch those in later.

• Like 16

On 4/30/2024 at 8:52 PM, Rumblestripe said:

mysterious wedge shaped piece of whitemetal,

Fantastic work Rumblestripe, particularly for such a small scale!

Could the wedge shaped piece be a wheel chock?

• Thanks 1

On 5/3/2024 at 12:35 AM, Darwinism said:

Could the wedge shaped piece be a wheel chock?

Possibly but I would have thought that there would be two or four?

Lovely work.  I like the finish on the timber too.

Is the wedge about the same width as the trail below the touch hole end of the barrel?

If so it might be the elevation mechanism.  Put it under the barrel on the trail.  Slide it forward muzzle goes down, slide it back, muzzle goes up.  Attach it to the train with a small length of chain..

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

it might be the elevation mechanism.  Put it under the barrel on the trail.  Slide it forward muzzle goes down, slide it back, muzzle goes up.  Attach it to the train with a small length of chain..

Ooh that sounds possible thanks, I'll check (Of course I have long since glued the barrel in place so if that is what it is I will have to make a "how much does it bother you?" call) 

Edited by Rumblestripe
speelchekka auto correct horror!!1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Is the wedge about the same width as the trail below the touch hole end of the barrel?

If so it might be the elevation mechanism.  Put it under the barrel on the trail.  Slide it forward muzzle goes down, slide it back, muzzle goes up.  Attach it to the train with a small length of chain..

That's ringing a bell with me. 👍

On 5/9/2024 at 4:39 AM, Grey Beema said:

That sounds more feasible than my idea - I think you’ve got it Grey Beema

Nice work on this! :clap2:

A wedge was used for elevation depending on the period; the 1700s for example would use a wedge (e.g., naval and field pieces). By the Zulu War, however, I believe a screw was more common in a field piece. Here's an example from the Royal Artillery Museum.