Hurricane Mk.II interior colours (a kind of rereshing old meat, methinks)

DominikS

Hi 

I have a question about Hurricane Mk,II wheel bays colour/s. I've already tried to find the answer on this forum through a search engine but I haven't found all I wanted to know. 

In one of the other topics Troy mentioned that Hurricanes from the Eighth Batch had wheel bays painted the same colour as the undersides. Were all Hurricanes from the Eighth and further batches painted the same way?

There is one more thing, but from a few posts I've already read, I assume that cockpits on late production Mk.IIs were Interior Grey Green painted cockpit walls, pilot seat and the wall behind the pilot seat.

Dominik

8 hours ago, DominikS said:

Hi 

I have a question about Hurricane Mk,II wheel bays colour/s. I've already tried to find the answer on this forum through a search engine but I haven't found all I wanted to know. 

In one of the other topics Troy mentioned that Hurricanes from the Eighth Batch had wheel bays painted the same colour as the undersides. Were all Hurricanes from the Eighth and further batches painted the same way?

There is one more thing, but from a few posts I've already read, I assume that cockpits on late production Mk.IIs were Interior Grey Green painted cockpit walls, pilot seat and the wall behind the pilot seat.

Dominik

Been much discussed.

AFAIK with the Mk.II/IV there was a switch in the KX/KZ batch, with interior going over too all grey green, and wheel wells in underside colour.

Images of a IID at the NII VVS show monotone cockpit.  Images of LB and PZ production show mono colour interiors.   A colour painting of KX productions shows all grey green internals, so best guess says everything after KX is like this.

GMIII_MCAG_1947_402-001.jpg

The artist is near photographic in detail and colour

IWM_IWM_LD_3286-001.jpg

https://artuk.org/discover/artists/hewland-elsie-dalton-19011979

Some very early Mk.I's look to be all grey green internally, but all the wrecks in France show aluminium paint.  

FIlm of Austin produced Mk.IIs shows all one colour, so they look to be grey green. 

This specific post I made is a bit is buried, but covers this in more detail.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234963507-all-the-hurricane-questions-you-want-to-ask-here/page/2/#elControls_1682406_menu

That's it so far.

• Thanks 2

From what I've gathered, early Hurricane Mk.II planes tended to have their wheel bays painted the same color as the underside of the aircraft. But as they kept making more, especially from the Eighth Batch onwards, they started using different colors for the wheel bays, like Sky or Sky Type S. However, it's not a strict rule for all planes from the Eighth Batch and later, as there might be some differences depending on the specific plane and where it was used.

3 minutes ago, IgnacioKennedy said:

especially from the Eighth Batch onwards, they started using different colors for the wheel bays, like Sky or Sky Type S. However, it's not a strict rule for all planes from the Eighth Batch and later, as there might be some differences depending on the specific plane and where it was used.

the KW batch were being made from November 1942.  This id not early in Hurricane production. 

The underside were either Medium Sea Grey , Day Fighter Scheme, or Azure Blue, Desert Scheme.  So, no, not Sky.  

Sky is Sky type S, same colour, same paint,    the type S refers to it being smooth, as were all the other paints, but for some reason the suffix type is often used. 

9 minutes ago, IgnacioKennedy said:

From what I've gathered, early Hurricane Mk.II planes tended to have their wheel bays painted the same color as the underside of the aircraft.

From where specifically?   Did you read the linked post?  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Been much discussed.

AFAIK with the Mk.II/IV there was a switch in the KX/KZ batch, with interior going over too all grey green, and wheel wells in underside colour.

Images of a IID at the NII VVS show monotone cockpit.  Images of LB and PZ production show mono colour interiors.   A colour painting of KX productions shows all grey green internals, so best guess says everything after KX is like this.

The artist is near photographic in detail and colour

IWM_IWM_LD_3286-001.jpg

https://artuk.org/discover/artists/hewland-elsie-dalton-19011979

Some very early Mk.I's look to be all grey green internally, but all the wrecks in France show aluminium paint.  

FIlm of Austin produced Mk.IIs shows all one colour, so they look to be grey green. 

This specific post I made is a bit is buried, but covers this in more detail.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234963507-all-the-hurricane-questions-you-want-to-ask-here/page/2/#elControls_1682406_menu

That's it so far.

So photographic there are bizarrely two sailors wandering around the factory?!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Phoenix44 said:

So photographic there are bizarrely two sailors wandering around the factory?!

Why there were two sailors wandering around I don't know,  but there were... unless it was some private joke?   

Possibly as by this stage the Hurricane was basically obsolete as technology,  and the reason for the painting was likely part of press access to the factory for propaganda.  Elsie Hewland being employed as a war artist

Since you seem to doubt my comment as to the veracity of her work, and its value, 

compare,  her Typhoon and look at the details,  this is someone with a very sharp eye for detail, and colour with a period colour photo

IWM_IWM_LD_3032-001.jpg

15474365956_8d94382015_b.jpgHawker Typhoon. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

back to this

and period colour, note from a press visit slightly later, from the serial

49755554013_f91a666e88_b.jpgHurricane IIc,   1943 by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

I think the woman on the left with green top is the one below

Hurricane_assembly_and_production_wing_c

and, another, later press visit

Hawker_Hurricane_LB611_Production.jpg

and again

Hurricane_Mk_IIC_assembly_LF772_LF773_LF

and next batch...

Hawker_Hurricane_Assembly_MW336.jpg

and the final batch..

14-1.jpg

19-1.jpg

PZ865 last down the line....

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Phoenix44 said:

two sailors wandering around the factory

Umm... looking for Sea Hurricanes? 😀

Her work does seem very precise so the Wrens probably were in fact on the premises.

One of them’s called Wally…

Seriously, as Troy says, her pictures are excellent records. The sailors might be a joke, but more likely she saw them for real and thought it would be a nice detail in the finished work — if you were making a diorama of the scene, wouldn’t you put them in to add extra interest?

best,

M.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Why there were two sailors wandering around I don't know,  but there were...

Possible RN Goodwill visit or War Bonds Drive during the Artist's

visit there?

Regards

Alan

• Like 3

@Troy Smith Thank you for your help. Today I'll repaint some parts in the cockpit. Fortunately, I haven't painted the bays yet....

BTW, those paintings look really nice.

Have a nice Easter.

Dominik

On 3/26/2024 at 9:49 PM, Troy Smith said:

Very intersting! Thank you Troy for bringing it again.

A haven't seen the film of Austin-built Hurricanes. Is it visible that both the cockpit and the wheel well were grey-green there?