Regarding the latest Special Hobby 1/72 F-84F Thunderstreak

Hi there

Well to say it simple I have only questions that I'm unable to answer so please sorry if for some of you are too basic

I just got the Suez War issue

sh72492.jpg

I found actually 3 ejection seats, of course plan to use as instructions but that made me wonder about the other two, if I'm able to use them on other kits like old Airfix 

Then there is of course the medium size fuel tanks or weapon canister so I wonder if those goes on the exterior wing pilons

Then of course the thing of the Mk 7 Nuclear Shape so Who on the NATO F-84F used it

Regards

Armando

17 minutes ago, RAGATIGER said:

Then of course the thing of the Mk 7 Nuclear Shape so Who on the NATO F-84F used it

And before I forget it other than the F-101 who else use it

Regards

Armando

With regard to the ejection seats, the French aircraft used the earlier seat which was painted interior green as per the kit instructions.  Generally, if the area behind the transparencies to the rear of the cockpit are black, then as originally built, it will have the earlier seat and an interior green cockpit.

Aircraft of different blocks, that have the area behind these transparencies will as originally built use the intermediate seat again in grey.  Belgian, Italian and German aircraft had these seats for instance.

The Martin-Baker seat was originally introduced by the Germans and was a retrofit.  As Greece and Turkey both operated ex-German aircraft it's natural to assume they retained their MB seats.  I know this is the case with the Turkish aircraft, not so sure about the Greek aircraft ( @RidgeRunner help me out here).

15 hours ago, Wez said:

The Martin-Baker seat was originally introduced by the Germans and was a retrofit.  As Greece and Turkey both operated ex-German aircraft it's natural to assume they retained their MB seats.  I know this is the case with the Turkish aircraft, not so sure about the Greek aircraft ( @RidgeRunner help me out here).

My understanding @Wez is that the German airframes that went to Turkey were a mix of F-84Fs (108)  with original seats, and F-84Qs (185) with the MB. Although Greece received German machines I am pretty sure they were all seated as originally delivered to Germany. As always, check your reference photos. :)

It is great to see you onboard Armando @RAGATIGER as a SH F-84F builder :).

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

It is great to see you onboard Armando @RAGATIGER as a SH F-84F builder :).

1000 Thanks Martin for your words asI been struggling with depression due familiar and work issues, I'm pushing myself to modelling your builds are really inspirational as one image worth 10000 words

Regarding the F-84F that are follow by halfbuild older kits (yes Airfix and Italeri) others F-84F and RF-84 (still others lik Skyhawks, Harriers, Skywarrior, some Skyraiders, F-5 and others like Su-17/22, Il-28, Yak-28 and so on) anyway I already got a book shelf that need some improvement and the used pallet cabin on the garden to be complete modeling workshop

Regards 

20 hours ago, Wez said:

With regard to the ejection seats, the French aircraft used the earlier seat which was painted interior green as per the kit instructions.  Generally, if the area behind the transparencies to the rear of the cockpit are black, then as originally built, it will have the earlier seat and an interior green cockpit.

1000 thanks Wes 

I actually wondering was to use the Special Hobby leftover ejection seats on older Airfix/Italeri F-84/RF-84 so I had the general idea to use the MB ejection seat on a German or exGerman F-84F but not know where to use the other ejection seat

Regards

Armando

32 minutes ago, RAGATIGER said:

not know where to use the other ejection seat

You could use it in a Thunderjet.

Cheers,

Andre

On 3/22/2024 at 3:34 AM, RAGATIGER said:

Armando, with some doubts I would say none. It's my presumption that the B28 was the weapon used by NATO F-84Fs.

I investigated RNLAF extensively, and I'm sure that it used the B28. The RNLAF Streaks never had the special pylon required for the Mk7 on the left inboard position, always the standard pylon. That pylon could be configured for two purposes: fuel tank / conventional weapon *or* nuclear weapon. To be always ready, the Volkel Streaks always flew with latter, Eindhoven with the former. Volkel therefore flew with a right inboard tank only, an asymmetrical configuration.

So far I've seen German, Italian and Greek Streaks in that same asymmetrical configuration, with the standard pylon. But seemingly not as a standard configuration like Volkel. But I've never seen the Mk7 pylon on any of them. That lead me to think all other European also used the B28. But the proof is not as strong as for RNLAF, that I investigated far deeper.

The only NATO country that ever showed the Mk7 pylon is BAF, when their Kleine Brogel Streaks were put in storage at Koksijde. But that *could* be to cause confusion, why else show that nuclear capability with stored aircraft?

Rob

44 minutes ago, Rob de Bie said:

Armando, with some doubts I would say none. It's my presumption that the B28 was the weapon used by NATO F-84Fs.

I investigated RNLAF extensively, and I'm sure that it used the B28. The RNLAF Streaks never had the special pylon required for the Mk7 on the left inboard position, always the standard pylon. That pylon could be configured for two purposes: fuel tank / conventional weapon *or* nuclear weapon. To be always ready, the Volkel Streaks always flew with latter, Eindhoven with the former. Volkel therefore flew with a right inboard tank only, an asymmetrical configuration.

So far I've seen German, Italian and Greek Streaks in that same asymmetrical configuration, with the standard pylon. But seemingly not as a standard configuration like Volkel. But I've never seen the Mk7 pylon on any of them. That lead me to think all other European also used the B28. But the proof is not as strong as for RNLAF, that I investigated far deeper.

The only NATO country that ever showed the Mk7 pylon is BAF, when their Kleine Brogel Streaks were put in storage at Koksijde. But that *could* be to cause confusion, why else show that nuclear capability with stored aircraft?

Rob

1000 Thanks Rob

Please take under consideration no matter I have access to web I am a very rare person for my countrymen (otherwise with electrical and mechanical engineer background) been a plastic modeller in a down the border right in the middle of Banana Republics where there are no hobby store (and for locals custums look the models as toys so luxury item, meaning yes they taxed them) I got around Britmodellers with silly questions and some of you just kindly enough to answered them

Well recently there been an influx of nuclear bombs on plastic models in the Wonderful 1/72 scale some of you called the Gentleman Scale (sorry I didn't fully understand that joke) so Modelvit AMD Mirage IIE. Modelsvit Su-7 Fitter, now Special Hobby Republic F-84F,  Italeri Aircraft Weapons and Valom F-101A Voodoo (the one I didn't got in time) all included Nuclear bombs so in my madly Cold War kid weird brain I plan to do a MiG-21 Bis,  AMD Mirage IIE, F-104G not sure if Belgium or Dutch with a B61

Anyway the Fighter bombers from the 60 to 90's seam to be my favorites with a special touch for Vietnam and Israeli-Arabs Wars too

So thanks to your answers Rob (don't take too serious as my Terapist actually recomend me to say it all, some are weird things too), I'm still a 70/80 kid with mind focus on so many explosion movies, Rambo, Die Hard and so on

Cheers

Armando

4 hours ago, RAGATIGER said:

Well recently there been an influx of nuclear bombs on plastic models in the Wonderful 1/72 scale some of you called the Gentleman Scale (sorry I didn't fully understand that joke) so Modelvit AMD Mirage IIE. Modelsvit Su-7 Fitter, now Special Hobby Republic F-84F,  Italeri Aircraft Weapons and Valom F-101A Voodoo (the one I didn't got in time) all included Nuclear bombs so in my madly Cold War kid weird brain I plan to do a MiG-21 Bis,  AMD Mirage IIE, F-104G not sure if Belgium or Dutch with a B61

Armando, glad to be of help with the nuclear armed Thunderstreak. For much more on Streak stores, see my RNLAF Streak stores project.

Regarding the Dutch or Belgian F-104G with a B61: from 1977 on, USAF replaced the older weapons (B43 and B57) in the air forces of Belgium, Italy, Germany and the Netherlands. with the B61 weapon.

Rob

Edited by Rob de Bie

19 hours ago, RAGATIGER said:

F-104G not sure if Belgium or Dutch with a B61

Yup. And B43 / B47 before that, like Rob said. 

There are some good reference pictures of all three types on p.160 of the DACO book on the '104.

Cheers,

Andre

Edited by Hook
  • Thanks 1

On 3/23/2024 at 11:15 AM, RAGATIGER said:

1000 Thanks Rob

Please take under consideration no matter I have access to web I am a very rare person for my countrymen (otherwise with electrical and mechanical engineer background) been a plastic modeller in a down the border right in the middle of Banana Republics where there are no hobby store (and for locals custums look the models as toys so luxury item, meaning yes they taxed them) I got around Britmodellers with silly questions and some of you just kindly enough to answered them

Anyway the Fighter bombers from the 60 to 90's seam to be my favorites with a special touch for Vietnam and Israeli-Arabs Wars too

So thanks to your answers Rob (don't take too serious as my Terapist actually recomend me to say it all, some are weird things too), I'm still a 70/80 kid with mind focus on so many explosion movies, Rambo, Die Hard and so on

Cheers

Armando

1000 Thanks Rob

I just checking and find that 

f84f-125.jpg

I have all of them on order from Special Hobby F-84F Thunderstreak Mk 7, Italeri Aircraft Weapons Mk 61/ Mk28 and last one its included on Fujimi Vought FU7 Cutlass 2 samples and Tamiya F4D Skyrray one sample (on the instructions shows as NavPack but is the same shape)

So really interesting thing here

Regards 

Armando

13 minutes ago, RAGATIGER said:

1000 Thanks Rob

I just checking and find that 

f84f-125.jpg

Yes, those are the bombs I built for my F-84F project. The front one, the B28EX, is the corect one. In the middle is the B28RE, but it's REtarded, and that doesn't work in LABS bombing, so it's out for the F-84F. In the back is the Mk7, as used by USAF F-84Fs. Note the fin orientation. I think the center part of the bomb should be more cilindrical by the way.

I thought of something more regarding the Mk7 / B28 choice for the NATO air forces. I have to investigate this further, but I think the B28 had a Permissive Action Link feature, that the Mk7 does not have. If I was the US government, I would really like have this extra safety feature against inadvertent use, for allies that might have their own agendas, and personel that's not under US control.

Rob