FAA Corsair

Roof Rat

Hello all

Can I ask does anyone have a diagram/plan showing the location of the carbon monoxide or dioxide vents added to a FAA Corsair fuselage please. 
Thank you

RR(Chris). 

16 hours ago, nicholas mayhew said:

you will also find clear diagrams in Dana Bell’s books on the Corsair (can’t recall if it’s vol 1 or 2, sorry).

Were the above publications updated because I have both, and the only diagrams on the FAA subject are for the wing tips found in Vol. 2.   Same volume has a single page devoted to the British response to the carbon monoxide problem in the cockpit.   Included are two large up close photos of the fuselage side intake vent and the underside ventral exhaust extractor as found on an early Goodyear Corsair IV.   Unfortunately no measurements provided, so one is left to calculate your own based on scaling photos.

The fuselage vent is sort of easy to determine a somewhat accurate dimension because we know the outer yellow roundel ring is two inches thick.

Untitled-1.jpg

Edited by JackG
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think places like the National Archives or similar spots in countries that used the Corsair planes—such as the USA, UK, or New Zealand—might have the old manuals or records that show how the planes were changed, including stuff about the vents for gases. It seems like a good shot for finding the detailed info you're after.

• Like 1

JackG, detail is everything, IgnacioKennedy and spitfire

Gents just to say thank you for taking the time to respond, all this info is great and just what I required,

Cheers

RR (Chris). 
Just to add to the above, Julian has some great Corsair reference photos in the walkaround section.

@Roof Rat I incorporated these into my last years build of the 1/72 Academy F4U as an FAA machine. I largely positioned them by eye after looking at photos of the FAA museum Corsair & then cheated slightly with positioning my fuselage decals so as not to have to cut the yellow band around the scoop. Depending on the scale you're building, I reckon you can be very close with their positioning like this.

Steve.

• Like 1

Good morning Steve

Very nice build I don’t know how you 1/72 (& smaller) gang do it I struggle with 1/48!! Thanks for the tip.

Cheers

RR(Chris). 

• Thanks 1

That last link has an entry from Dana Bell revealing the Corsairs I through III had different style CO vents compared to the IV.  

Such a small detail is difficult to see any variation.  maybe in this photo the side vent looks larger than the two inch yellow roundel?

Corsair_Formidable_aug44.jpeg.b8714f6cf3

A cropped study does not make it easy to form an absolute dimension, but perhaps the vent was a bit larger with a face opening of 3 x 2.5 inches while that of the later MK IV was 2 x 1.5 inches :shrug:

vent-Corsair-II-and-III.jpg

Scale wise the one inch difference is not even 0.79mm at 1/32 and less so for smaller scale models.

• Like 3

JackG

Great info again thank you, when I opened this subject I had no idea how much in-depth info could be found just by looking at photos, it all makes sense, thank you again.

Cheers

RR (Chris). 

Rather unhelpfully KD 431 in the FAA museum has no under fuselage scoop. Plated over at some stage? I made a point of trying to photograph the scoops for my builds. I have a couple of photos taken from underneath but it’s just plain panelling and the IFF transponder. 
the only reference I ever saw was the crashed Corsair on it’s nose showing the lower scoop.

Edited by Gatesy64
  • Like 1

Hello Gatesy64

Thanks for the response, I know what you mean ref KD 341 I ordered a copy of “KD 341 time capsule” by David Morris and as you rightly say of the pictures showing that area there is no sign of the vent exhaust, thanks for the info ref the blanking plate.

Cheers

RR (Chris). 

• Like 1

Jumpei Temma and his detailed drawings from that Japanese link have been mentioned in these forums and elsewhere.  Am wondering how he came about the information for those Corsair vents since I have not seen anything similar from Dana Bell - or is it the result of measuring photos?

46 minutes ago, JackG said:

or is it the result of measuring photos?

That seems to be something he does a lot.

• Thanks 1