1/24 Audi A4 DTM 2009

This was a problem child of mine. Not because the kit is bad ... it is actually a pretty well made kit with a huge potential for detailing. I got it on sale to add to my already too high stack of racing cars. When I finally started it about 5 years ago, I ran into a lot of troubles, mostly of my own making.

I had bad luck with a few race carkits over the last years, someone must have put some bad voodoo on me. So, the car went half build into the closet (together with a few others). As I always was feeling bad for not having finished it whenever I saw the box (always), I manned up and finished it as a quick "weekend build" without any details or attention to parts you anyhow hardly see.

So, not my best work, but finally complete and out of the closet and out of my mind 🏁

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking, any comments welcome.

Cheers

here are my other racing models:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3R7EApxULTfrgsPu6

Edited by 2Step
typos
  • Like 15

I think it must have matured in the closet. It looks great now. Well worth the wait.

Your other builds are equally good. My top three of those, JPS (always loved that scheme) Jager meister and the workshop with the photographer. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I think it must have matured in the closet. It looks great now. Well worth the wait.

Your other builds are equally good. My top three of those, JPS (always loved that scheme) Jager meister and the workshop with the photographer. 

Thanks for the praise. It does look ok, but nothing like I had originally envisioned; but then, my visions are often exceeding my capabilites. The paint job is better than it appears on the pics, especially the second. The decals might have settled a bit better since then....

Glad you liked the other pics too. For the JPS I originally wanted to do the Imperial paint scheme and already bought the decals. But then my 1/12 Lotus got bashed in one of my many moves and I stayed with the JPS. The workshop is actually a crude pit stop diorama that I had build about 20 years ago for picture taking purposes ;) The Surtees in the pic is another unfinished business. My only resin car kit I bought about 25 years ago from some Brazilian manufacturer. I ran again into difficulties and since then it is as shown. Other cars in that catagory: a 1/20 Ferrarri F1-2000 for which I bought a super detail set and botched up the paint job probably irrepairable. I might have to buy a new Tamiya kit for that. However, by now I might have grown too old for the detail set. If I remember right, alone one brake disc hat like 6 or 7 parts plus each screw made out of thin wire. Just matching all the wires and the holes up, probably would drive me insane nowadays 🤪 (Although, on the other side, each kit seems to look better with the deteriorating eye sight :nerdy:)

My favorite photo is of the Benetton 192. I took it in my back yard in 2005. The hill and bushes you see in the background at the very left corner are actually on the crest where the famous Corkscrew combination takes it first left turn on the race track of Laguna Seca! Great place to live, albeit only for two years (my wife hated the noise as you could hear each individual car accelarating up the long hill leading toward that turn). :)

Cheers

• Like 2

P.S.

The broken Benetton and Jordan are victims to clumsy building and breaking the suspension (Jordan) respectively moving (Benetton).

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, 2Step said:

rest where the famous Corkscrew combination takes it first left turn on the race track of Laguna Seca!

Wow!

Lovely Audi (& I don't often say that....!! :) ) doesn't look like you had all those troubles with it!

Really like all your other builds too - my favourite is the Salzburg 917 - I both really like the model and the way you've photographed it. The real 917 being one of my favourite race cars also helps! 

Great work on them all!

Keith

• Thanks 1

Good to have this finished! I especially like the various backgrounds/scenery you use for photographing. Is there anywhere additional info/pictures to be found that I could use as inspiration for an outdoor photo setup? 😇

• Thanks 1

On 12/03/2024 at 20:58, keefr22 said:

Lovely Audi (& I don't often say that....!! :) ) doesn't look like you had all those troubles with it!

Really like all your other builds too - my favourite is the Salzburg 917 - I both really like the model and the way you've photographed it. The real 917 being one of my favourite race cars also helps! 

Great work on them all!

Keith

Yeah, one of mine too :)  I had a chance to see the real thing at the Monterey Historics. When you touch it, it seems unbelievable that such a "wobbly" thing can go over 360km/h at Mulsanne

On 12/03/2024 at 21:07, Vesa Jussila said:

Looks really well built and good that it didn't end life in closet.

Thanks. I prefer a model in a showcase rather than in the closet too ;)

On 13/03/2024 at 09:43, Davi said:

Good to have this finished! I especially like the various backgrounds/scenery you use for photographing. Is there anywhere additional info/pictures to be found that I could use as inspiration for an outdoor photo setup? 😇

I had two older versions, which are now taken apart (parts visible in the online pictures) and the one used here. I think the trick is to have a long enough set so the car can be shown in all angles and then a wall or something similar to make a nice transition to a real landscape behind (which should not have too many things that make the scale or the setting  identifiable, e.g. the neighbors house with the neighbor on the balcony.

I think they pics of the Audi here show what I mean, but in that case there is no real landscape in the background but a calendar picture. What I like about pictures taken outside is the light and the sky. You cannot really imitade that in the hobby room.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, HOUSTON said:

SUPERBLY finished with really lovely photos. 

:thumbsup:

:clap2:

:wub:

:worthy:

They are lovely photos because I avoided showing (most) of my mistakes 😇

But thank you for your praise, I apperciate it.

On 13/03/2024 at 09:43, Davi said:

Btw, kudos for your garage diorama. Exactly the attention to detail that I love, where you always can discover some new little thing. That's what makes it so convincing!!

Thanks for the replies! The garage works quite nice for photo's, but exactly as you mentioned above, the light and sky is much better outside, so hence my considerations to make something for outdoor. And your nice setup triggered that again, the combi of kerbs, grass, tarmac and sand is very convincing. Thanks for you suggestions/advice.

Edited by Davi

11 hours ago, Davi said:

Thanks for the replies! The garage works quite nice for photo's, but exactly as you mentioned above, the light and sky is much better outside, so hence my considerations to make something for outdoor. And your nice setup triggered that again, the combi of kerbs, grass, tarmac and sand is very convincing. Thanks for you suggestions/advice.

Judging by the quality of your garage, you will make something very nice.

My other set up was an "emergency exit" on a race track, so it didn`t look too funny to have a car without driver or a standing driver outside the car on what is supposed to be a stretch of the race track. It also allows you to build a marshall's post or something similar if you like. However, the more technical details you put on, the less you are free with the scale of the kits you want to photograph on the set.