Another Eduard Pony - Bobby Jeanne/Ah-Fung-Goo II

I decided to double down with a second build.  It will be another 1/48 Eduard kit, this time being a fillet-less D-5 version.  

I’ve had this kit in the stash for a couple years with the intent of doing Richard Peterson’s “Hurry Home Honey” because I really really like the dark green over NMF scheme the 357th FG had on its early Ds.  While researching the plane the other day on the LittleFriendsUK site, I came across a different plane from the same squadron with a pilot from my home state of Wisconsin.  Always one to want to learn about the pilots from my state, I soon found out the pilot, Col Irwin Dregne, was an ace and was the last CO of the Yoxford Boys.  His plane carried the same camo as Peterson’s and since Bullseye Decals’ excellent Yoxford Boy series has markings for it, I decided I’m going to build Dregne’s plane (just had to purchase the decals since it was on a separate sheet from HHH).  It carries two names: Bobby Jeanne for his wife and daughter, and then Ah-Fung-Goo II which apparently was a name chosen by Dregne’s crew chief.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

Good morninh Matt B 

Welcome aboard for your 2nd build and very interesting subject .

I have the Repliscale decals sheet in 1/72 for Irwin Dregne's P51K but I am not sure if I will have time use it for during this gb ..

Anyway have fun with your build 

Best regards.

Patrice 

• Like 1

Nice choice Matt. 

Like you I think that the OD and NMF combination looks very good. 

Look forward to following your build. 

James

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Farmerboy said:

Nice choice Matt, what paints do you intend to use for the OD?

I’m not entirely sure yet, to be honest.  I have a few different olive drabs and I also have a couple different dark greens.  The whole OD vs dark green on 357th planes is a can of worms like the whole blue vs green/OD on Lou IV of the 361st.  The colors are pretty close so it’s hard to tell even with color photos.  I’m kind leaning towards a brownish dark green for something different than straight OD, but I haven’t made up my mind yet.  I saw a really good model where someone used Vallejo dark green 71.012 (it has a brownish tint to it).  Really can’t go wrong with OD or dark green.

Edited by Matt B
  • Like 2

Thanks for the reply, I’m going to use MRhobby OD 304 as a base coat on the D as it to has a brownish tint and then try SMS acrylic lacquers on the B model as it looks a greener tint , interesting comparison I hope.

P51B

That’s what MR a hobby looked like last time out.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Farmerboy said:

Thanks for the reply, I’m going to use MRhobby OD 304 as a base coat on the D as it to has a brownish tint and then try SMS acrylic lacquers on the B model as it looks a greener tint , interesting comparison I hope.

P51B

That’s what MR a hobby looked like last time out.

That looks great!  I just put in a preorder for Eduard's new B, but those Tamiya kits sure do build up nicely.  Your color choices sound good.  I doubt all the real life planes were the same shade, so having a little variance adds to the realism in my opinion.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

How’s she coming along. Matt?

I am trying to make a conscious effort to get started up again here shortly.  It hasn't been a lack of motivation as much as it is that I get sidetracked easily.  The arrival of ICM's new B-26 grabbed by interest so I've been researching Marauders, and then in the process of that I naturally starting researching more about the 9th Air Force; that led me to do more research on A-26 Invaders and thinking about future diorama possibilities with ICM's Invader and now lately after learning Eduard will be doing a special "Bloody Hundredth" boxing of HK's B-17F later this year, I've been pulled back into my never ending B-17 research.

But, I did clean up the bench a bit the other day and got things organized (not that it will stay that way for long) so I can start plugging away at the Mustangs again.  I''ve got most the cockpit painting done on the D-5 but still have a little more to and I'll post some photos once I get going again here shortly.

Edited by Matt B
  • Like 3