Paint from Jadlam

ckw

Having recently changed to painting with lacquers, my first problem was sourcing them. None of my LHS stock them apart from Tamiya spray cans. Searching online I found Mr Color was stocked by Jadlams, Not only are they a good price (£1.99 for the standard range), they send them postage free in the UK. This is, I think, unique amongst the online sellers. It is so refreshing to be able to order a single pot of a colour without having to pay what is generally more in postage than the cost of the paint. Orders usually arrive by Royal Mail in 2 - 3 days.

I guess Jadlams figure they recoup the costs by increased sales across the shop. Prior to using Jadlams I used to try and anticipate my paint needs for the foreseeable future and buy multiple paints at the same time to save on the postage costs - but would invariably find I'd forgotten something. They stock a number of paint ranges beside Mr Color, so if you weren't aware of this service, its certainly worth a look.

Cheers

Colin

• Like 2

Jadlam might want to double check they're not committing an offence with how they're posting Class III Flammable Liquids. A private individual may get a degree of leniency citing ignorance, but ignorance will be no defence in court for the Directors of a commercial business.

https://www.gov.uk/shipping-dangerous-goods/rules-for-different-types-of-transport

By air

You can be given an unlimited fine, sentenced to 2 years in prison or both if your cargo fails an inspection or causes a safety incident.

By road

There’s a range of fixed penalty fines if your cargo fails a spot check.

By sea

You can be fined for breaking the regulations on transporting dangerous goods. You can be prosecuted and face a large fine and a prison sentence for serious breaches, for example transporting animal by-products in an unsafe way.

9 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Jadlam might want to double check they're not committing an offence with how they're posting Class III Flammable Liquids.

I think you need to tell Jadlam this rather than us.

I use Jadlam fairly often but you do need to check prices elsewhere.

Clearances and offers  aside, I generally find Jadlam prices a little higher than elsewhere.  They are clearly including an element of P&P in the prices.

This is no bad thing, and is fine when buying one item but you need to check when buying multiple items, that the accumulated built-in P&P has not made the total order dearer than you can get elsewhere.

You know, many years ago, I used to order Tamiya TS sprays (aerosol) from Hobbylink Japan and they would ship via airmail without issue. Now you can't send any paints via Royal Mail via road. It's total rubbish. There's pretty much zero risk sending a small jar of paint via road as long as it's properly packaged. The whole paints transporting thing has gone mad...

Edited by Steve Noble
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Steve Noble said:

You know, many years ago, I used to order Tamiya TS sprays (aerosol) from Hobbylink Japan and they would ship via airmail without issue. Now you can't sent any paints via Royal Mail via road. It's total rubbish.

176.9% agree with this! When the paints are imported to the UK, they will travel from a dock or airport in a ROAD-GOING lorry. Why is it considered safe for commercial-freight services to move the paint, but not for Royal Mail? This whole situation absolutely reeks of "Official Convenient Excuse Syndrome" to me.... I'm willing to bet that RM can afford the best transport-insurance going. 

I will now brace myself for a load of respondents telling me I have no idea what I'm talking about (which I don't, but that's not the point!). 

Cheers. 

Chris.  

• Like 1

Simple answer is that RM relies heavily on air freight, and the rules are set by the airlines.  Yes, it was possible to send such paint by air years ago, but it is not now.  You will also find that it is not only Royal Mail that acts under such constraints: Jamie Duff of Colourcoats spent some time trying to find ways around this problem before finding the solution he uses today.  Other methods, which can be seen, are illegal.

Hold on .... I can carry up to 500 litres or 500 kg of hazardous freight in my van with no identification, but I can't send a bottle of flammable liquid in the post?  (by the way, class 3 is the United Nations classification designated to flammable liquids) 

It sounds like Royal Mail don't want to or can't be bothered to move it.

In context, a bottle of paint poses much less of a risk than larger quantities .... and from the regulations ..... 

You do not need to follow all the normal packaging and labelling regulations, and you do not need a dangerous goods safety adviser if you’re transporting ‘limited quantities’ of some dangerous goods.

Packing limited quantities

Goods shipped in limited quantities must be carried in small containers (for example bottles), which are then packed in boxes or on shrink-wrapped trays.

I think a bottle of paint may be classed as 'limited quantities' and be ok to post ........ 

Keith 😁 

No problem, until your van travels by air.  RM puts much of its business into the air nowadays.  An explosion in the air can have massively greater consequences than in a van on the road.  And apparently yes there were examples of paint tins exploding.  Not to the extent of losing any aircraft, but a hold full of expensive luggage sprayed silver (if that's what it was) wouldn't exactly be popular.

Jamie Duff is the one whose business is affected by this, and he said quite a lot on the net about when it was introduced, and his trials in attempting to find a legal way of distributing his paints.   It wasn't just RM, but the other carriers who demanded payable levels of insurance, I believe).   If you don't believe me, contact him.  (It may still be up on the Sovereign Hobby website.)