Tamiya Mazda MX-5 ND (Mk IV)

This is my model of Tamiya’s Mazda MX-5 ND / Mk IV (kit #24342). The model is an homage to a real car formerly owned by a former member of our local MX-5 club. Wheels are Aoshima 19” AVS Model T6 (#045527), exhaust tips are Hobby Design (actual car had two dual-tip outlets, though perhaps not this big!) and paint is Tamiya TS-95 Pure Metallic Red over grey primer.

Grant.

53452896199_fbc3a81c6d_o.jpg

53452701138_84e61dc902_o.jpg

53452896209_fb312542e0_o.jpg

53452996350_458dab7db0_o.jpg

53452996400_af6fa4117b_o.jpg

With “stock” sibling

53452581011_e26eeb2291_o.jpg

• Like 26

Very nice model, really like the colour and you've got an excellent finish. Personally I think the wheels are too big and the stock ones suit it much better, but that takes nothing away from the build!

Keith

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies. I agree the wheels are too big, but they were on the real car insipration as well. One of those cases where owner modifications altered the driving experience in a non-ideal manner.

• Like 1

Very nice, clean and tidy build. I will have to get this kit at some point. Aside from the wheel size which the explanation has already covered :).

That Tamiya Pure Metallic Red is a very very good match for Mazda Soul Red. I know this is Tamiya's intention for this colour anyway, and they have nailed it.

@galaxyg - The Tamiya Pure Metallic Red is certainly a nice colour, and has a wide range of shades depending on the undercoat colour. While painting this model I had ready access to Soul Red ND's so did some test sprays and comparison to determine the best match. Below are the test sprays:

53585218138_ee14bbe4f9_o.jpg

From left to right, the undercoat colours are white, pink, grey, Tamiya Light Gun Metal, Tamiya Gun Metal and Black. Comparison to a real Soul Red ND suggested the grey undercoat is the correct one, though I suspect you need an undercoat at the lighter end of grey. I have so far used the Pure Metallic Red over pink undercoat (the Koenig 911), grey undercoat (this ND) and gloss black (a just completed Golf Mk II yet to be feature here). Needless to say they look quite different, especially in the sun.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Potsie said:

From left to right, the undercoat colours are white, pink, grey, Tamiya Light Gun Metal, Tamiya Gun Metal and Black. 

This will be very useful down the line, I've screenshotted both the image and the explanation of what is undercoating each red. I've tried colours before on white, grey, pink and black to make variations but it never occurred to me to put them over Gun Metal.  And those two shades in particular look very nice indeed. And I have a can of Pure Metallic Red just waiting for a car...

What I don't have are any more plastic spoons as the damn things are hard to find in the UK shops now, I'll have to order some online.

• Like 1

On 13/03/2024 at 12:48, galaxyg said:

I'll have to order some online.

Stocked up with a hundred from Amazon yesterday - £4.99 - cheaper than driving into town and not finding any....!! :)

Keith

• Like 2

On 13/03/2024 at 12:48, galaxyg said:

What I don't have are any more plastic spoons as the damn things are hard to find in the UK shops now, I'll have to order some online.

Try Morrisons, they still have some in their party disposables range.  I found some there only a few weeks ago.

• Thanks 1