Sea Fury Display A/C

When the 1/48 Sea Fury appeared, I bought one. After looking and thinking that the Yeovilton Display aircraft looked cool it went in the stash...then late last year as I was just finishing the Airfix DH Vampire FGA 9, as flown by 502 Squadron RAuxF It was the last Vampire of 3,  F1 (Square Tail) and F3 from the FGA 9, straight from the box, but with Rockets and Bombs...not included by Airfix I remembered that I wouldn't need the under wing load included with the Sea Fury so I thought I'd like to build the Sea Fury...and I needed something that wouldn't drive me mad, as the Vampires did. 

The initial build went well, no surprises. 

For the first time this build was all Airbrush/Acrylic with the hairy stick only brought into play on some very small details. I was impressed by the even density of colour and the amount of detail that showsd through. 

So, the first view....

Stage1.jpeg

I followed the Airfix Colour suggestions, but  using Vallejo Acrylic paints. The resultant colour for the underside and interiro were a little surprising.....

Underside.jpeg

Comments, anyone? 

Anyway, on to the U/C and other external details, 

I'm enjoying this! 

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, binbrook87 said:

Looks great! You'll never go back once you've tried the airbrush!

I'm beginning to agree....

What do I do with 50 years of Humbrol paint stash..??

3 hours ago, 224 Peter said:

What do I do with 50 years of Humbrol paint stash..??

Use good thinners (Colourcoats for instance) and spray them! 

• Like 1

This model continues to make me smile!

The U/C leg aere all in place, the complex components delicate but perfectly fitting. 

spacer.png

I still am uncertain about the interior colour, searching photos of VR930 with the U/C down suggests that the gear doors and legs a light grey/cream more like sky,as the undersurface, not Humbrol "Linen, no 74".

This link takes you to recent photos from the Airfix Blog....

https://uk.airfix.com/community/blog-and-news/workbench/new-hawker-sea-fury-update

Humbrol 74 they are not!

But photos of the crashed 2 seat Sea Fury shows some internal parts are a reasonable match for Hu 74. 

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/somerset-news/helmets-saved-lives-yeovilton-plane-7130213

Whilst others are interior green.

I feel a respray of the doors and legs about to happen, but I'll leave the wheel wells in Hu 74. . 

The Airframe is sitting at Yeovilton waiting for its new engine, the BS  Centaurus units and their sleeve valves are trouble, they lost one Sea Fury due to engine failure and  VR 930 has been grounded.  A Pratt and Whitney R2800 engine is being fitted: not a revolutionary change as a number of such conversions have been previously done within the US Air Racing community. More information and photos here:

https://www.key.aero/article/navy-wings-re-engine-sea-fury

All very interesting, but still doesn't answer the question about the U/C interior colour!!!!!

• Like 3

OK, legs and doors resprayed.....in sky!

Wheels on and exhausts painted......

spacer.png

I'm still not happy with the "gold yellow, AKA Linen"

Searching the web for photos of the Sea Fury and Tempest 2 wheel wells none have that colour visible, it is wither undersurface colour, light grey or dull silver. 

I've also spoken to 2 people who worked at Hawkers in the 1960s and they don't recall a yellow Linen colour. 

SO....I'm going to spray the wheel wells dull silver.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, 224 Peter said:

I'm still not happy with the "gold yellow, AKA Linen"

Searching the web for photos of the Sea Fury and Tempest 2 wheel wells none have that colour visible, it is wither undersurface colour, light grey or dull silver. 

I've also spoken to 2 people who worked at Hawkers in the 1960s and they don't recall a yellow Linen colour. 

On 20/10/2012 at 10:58, StephenMG said:

No, that same pale yellow colour primer also appears in bits of Hunter as well.

Mark

The Sea Fury in the link is in the care of @NAVY870

also 

On 02/06/2013 at 12:40, Edgar said:

Which just shows what they know, so feel free to shout it from the rooftops; Peter Cooke was told, by the then Yeovilton museum curator (who'd worked on Sea Furies during the Korean War,) that they were yellow chromate primer, as were other interior areas.

Edgar

They seem to have used the colour as a primer during the war on Hurricanes

31930566440_3517c660d3_o.jpg

HTH

• Like 3

Hawker Yellow was used in the gear wells and all internal surfaces except the cockpit. Gear legs and doors are the underside colour, usually Sky.

The Canadians did their gear bays in the underside colour, everybody else seemed to be Hawker yellow

Humbrol 74 is a perfect match for Hawker yellow.

Simon Owen from Airfix and I came up with it after much discussion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK, a picture always trumps memory.....😇

II will leave it as it is...in the photo above: yes, Hu 74 is a very good match for the primer in the photo. But because I'm making a model of an aircraft as it is NOW, not how it was built I'm still uncertain, mostly because the 2023 photos in the Yeovilton workshop suggest silver or sky.....a repaint of the wheel wells cannot be ruled out. 

Thanks all for your sage advice: time to stop digging and get some transfers on! 

Edited by 224 Peter
spelling....