The Dragon Slayer - Finished

I’m getting back into this group build with a Hasegawa Ki-45 Toryu (Dragon Slayer), Allied reporting name Nick.  I had this kit lined up for the Asia GB later in the year so will have to find something else that when the time comes.

Started by putting the cockpit together and prepping some of the smaller components for painting.

53497217396_6d57b4b2d1_b.jpg

I added a little detail to the side walls for interest:

53497517974_8f03108863_b.jpg

The ejector pins wont be visible once the cockpit is in place.

I forgot to rake a photo of the sprues before I started, here they are:

53497216956_fbeca47dd7_b.jpg

Nice crisp moulding.

Thanks for looking.

AW

Edited by Andwil
  • Like 17

13 hours ago, Wings unlevel said:

Looks like a lovely kit of a good looking aeroplane, nice!

Yeah, although not quite as beautiful as the Dinah, it is a good looking plane.  It’s tiny though for a twin, I’ll post some comparison photos when its finished, but just comparing the parts its going to be dwarfed by the Beaufighter and Bf-110, its smaller than a P-38 - in fact its smaller than a P-47 and the fuselage is not much longer than that of a Bf-109!

AW

• Like 1

So it’s not the size of the dragon slayer in the fight that counts, rather the size of the fight in the dragon slayer?! 🤣

11 hours ago, Andwil said:

Yeah, although not quite as beautiful as the Dinah, it is a good looking plane.  It’s tiny though for a twin, I’ll post some comparison photos when its finished, but just comparing the parts its going to be dwarfed by the Beaufighter and Bf-110, its smaller than a P-38 - in fact its smaller than a P-47 and the fuselage is not much longer than that of a Bf-109!

AW

• Haha 1

Some more work on the Nick, cockpit painted except for the wine bottle foil seat belts and the very nice Yahu instrument panel attached:

53502251375_cb9cce4a71_b.jpg

53501979013_a26359bdec_b.jpg

53501827026_d993a841af_b.jpg

Engines and propellers painted:

53501979098_d06c2d1c9c_b.jpg

53500941542_037f66efb2_b.jpg

Finally for today, the wings assembled.  These are very similar in outline to the P-38 and about the same span.

53501978998_993b1c6aab_b.jpg

Thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 10

Cockpit finished and glued into the port* fuselage half:

53506066718_593d041137_b.jpg

and then:

53506069823_f012391c94_b.jpg

53506069508_49539a9201_b.jpg

It just sort of fell together.  The only problem areas are the wing roots, which will need some filler.  The starboard one was particularly bad and required a piece of sprue wedged into the wing to force the top up to conform with the fuselage where there was a nasty step.  I followed the instructions in assembling the wings first but I think I could have avoided this problem by attaching the bottom of the wing to the fuselage first and then added the tops.

Still have the exhausts and other nick nacks to attach.  (See what I did there?)

Thanks for looking.

AW

*it is, of course, the starboard fuselage half.

AW who doesn’t know his left from his right :fool:

Edited by Andwil
Correcting error
  • Like 10

I've got to agree with Craig here, it's looking great and giving you a far easier build

James

• Thanks 1

Its a great little kit, but some care needs to taken with the engine cowlings.  Despite the tabs moulded on to the front of the nacelles it is possible to get the cowlings on ay the wrong angle.  Ask me how I know 🤪. Easily corrected though.

Today I masked the canopies with the Eduard mask set which made life easy and attached them to the fus with canopy glue.

53509948006_71c26516ec_b.jpg

Gave the canopies a quick coat of the interior colour ( I’m using olive drab as for the Kawasaki interior green, the kit instructions call for a 55/45 mix of khaki and brown), then primed the model.

53510379515_ecb78f2291_b.jpg

Priming has shown a couple of spots requiring further attention.

Thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 9

White airbrushed for the home defence bands and as a base coat for the yellow leading edges, which will be next.  My plan is to use the kit decals as templates to cut masks.

53516469725_5252b374bd_b.jpg

I used Lifecolour white and the first coat was not thinned enough hence the splatter which will get a rub down with micromesh.  Subsequent thinner coats went down quite nicely.

Thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Wings unlevel said:

Looking good AW, what are you using for the yellow?

It’s Lifecolour RLM04

• Thanks 1

This morning before it got too hot I was able to airbrush the undersides with Mig IJA Light Grey Green:

53522158309_d397d4b2cb_b.jpg

The apparent dark brown on the fuselage is a shadow.  I might be able to the topsides tomorrow.

Thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 7

Upper surfaces airbrushed this morning:

53524148746_ebaffbe443_b.jpg

Now I can move on the dark green “scribble” camouflage, which will by necessity be done by brush as neither my airbrush or I would be capable of replicating the dense but distinct pattern.

Thanks for looking.

AW 

• Like 6

That's a nice coat of paint you've got over the whole aircraft now. Good luck for the scribbles

James

Started on the scribble, Mig Kawasaki Green applied with a brush.  It occurred to me while trying to get as close as possible to the instructions that what looks like a tight pattern of irregular outlines are actually long, wavy lines that criss-cross at different angles.  Wings and tailplanes done today.

53526446244_50b4ffd550_b.jpg

It actually looks better in real life.

Thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 5