Lockheed PV1 Ventura F240

rob Lyttle

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Youโ€™re making lots of work for yourself,

Seems it's my comfort zone, Dave ๐Ÿ˜‹. I was saying on a previous thread somewhere that I'd built a Tamiya F4U Corsair and found it boring just assembling their perfect parts. Felt like I was working for The Tamiya Co. instead of making my own model. I know a lot of modellers like that and spend loads on extras that someone else has produced too, but I'm in my happy zone hacking up plastic ๐Ÿคช

Which brings me to the wings, and I'm weighing my options.ย 

20240216_223250

So far I've opened up the wheel well for where the tyre would fit up in. The plastic just has this....

20240216_223319

The fuel tank attachment lug has been removed and the slot filled, and the exhaust has been drilled and fitted with some Ali tube and fixed on.ย 

But the real issue is the flaps. These big, powerful Fowler flaps on rails were what made these Lockheed Twins such capable and versatile aircraft,ย  and the kit makers seem to be wholy disinterested in the feature. The little Airfix Hudson has barely a mark to indicate their existence among all the generous riveting everywhere, and this Frog kit is not much better. Although the riveting has been limited to just the engine cowlings....phew ๐Ÿ˜€

So, do I get the knife out, or just go along with it ๐Ÿค”??

That trailing edge strip referred to earlier could be sorted at the same time. And the cutout on the inboard end of the flap is no longer required, being clearance for the opening bomb bay doors. No bomb bay function on this little liner, so I think I'll fill in the cutout.ย 

ย 

Decisions.....๐Ÿค”

• Like 10

14 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

So, do I get the knife out, or just go along with it ๐Ÿค”??

Rob, which option would make you happier? Your model and so on.

Cheers,

Chris.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 16/02/2024 at 23:13, rob Lyttle said:

found it boring just assembling their perfect parts.

Absolutely!

ย 

Plus the stress of trying not to make any mistakes.

ย 

And the guilt of not replacing perfectly nice plastic parts with aftermarket that you won't see in the finished model.

ย 

And then the shame of painting it with aย brush!

ย 

Hasn't stopped me buying a few though!

ย 

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Reckon so, @silverfox63๐Ÿ˜Ž

ย 

So I'm taking tentative steps with the 1st wing and here's what I've got so far...

Mod for wings

The arrows indicate where I've filed away the wedge shape under the trailing edge of the wing. Frog would have it that the flap(pictured beside the wing) is extended out to match the wingtop, and that wedge does the job of extending the flap profile.ย 

I've come to the conclusion that this is wrong.ย 

What Lockheed started with in this series of airframe designs is the Super Electra L14,ย  also known as the Hudson. It had a regular tapered wing form. The design had some aerodynamic issues with the wing wash interfering with theย performance of the tailplanes . For the L18 Lodestar they raised the tailplanes up about a foot and fitted this trailing edge strip onto the guide rails to push the wing turbulence down underneath the tailplanes. Other than that, we're looking at a Hudson wing and flap.

This improved design was incorporated in the Ventura, being a high powered military adaptation of the Lodestar.ย 

For the interest, here's what MPM Special Hobby supply in the Lodestar kit...

20240220_204409

Hudson wings and a pair of photoetch brass strips to go onto the rails ๐Ÿ‘

They received some considerable criticism for taking what looks like a crass shortcut for the Lodestar when in fact they were correct to represent it this way.ย 

ย 

So,ย  long story short, I'm filing the wedges away and giving the flap some attentionย 

20240220_204118

The top surface of the flap is sheeted over with skinny styrene and little wedge blocks are glued on the under side for where they fit around the guide rails.ย 

I've also made a firewall disc to fix in the nacelle for some extra structure. I'm going to need a rear wing spar to hold the wing in shape now the flap is openย ย 

So I'll carry on filing, cutting and glueing stuff for a minuteย 

• Like 11

Interesting about the flaps and wing extensions. The Beaufort had some circular segments fitted to the trailing edge of the wings behind the nacelles for the same reasons.

ย 

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

Internals for the wing are done...

20240221_001419

A bit of guesswork is required to get the height of the tapered wing spar correct. Too high and it messes up the attachment to the fuselage.ย 

The other little runner is a surface for the flap to attach to. I'll sort the landing light later, so....

20240221_184611

Having got this far, I had a look at the engine and cowling front to see what we have. To be honest it's not great.ย 

20240221_184712

The kit method is to glue the engine plate to the back of the cowling ring and fix that on the front of the wing assembly .

I'll be putting the props on metal shafts which will slide into tube bearings mounted in the engines so the props can wait till later. Meanwhile I'll try to redeem the cowling and engine....a bitย 

• Like 10

Excellent engineering here Rob. I like the challenge of building these old kits, and I think they are a great test bed for experimenting with different ideas. The more practice, the easier it becomes, and then when you need to correct something or enhance the details, you donโ€™t have to worry about spending a fortune on aftermarket or waiting for it to be released. You just take the bull by the horns and do it yourself. Your build is quite gratifying to watch and you have some great techniques. I have already employed some from this group build, and I couldnโ€™t be more chuffed!ย 
Great build here.

ย 

Cheers

ย 

Jeff

ย 

ย 

• Like 3

The wings look transformed.ย 
ย 

I'm squirrelling away tips for when I build the Minicraft Ventura in my stash, which seems to share a lot of similar problems!

ย 

Regards,

Adrian

ย 

PS their treatment of the slots seems very odd. The real one just had simple narrow slots, although I have seen photos where the area behind the slot was painted a darker colour. Compare and contrast with the photos taken under the wing of a preserved NZ PV-1 derivativeย here.

• Like 1

On 23/02/2024 at 10:35, AdrianMF said:

their treatment of the slots seems very odd

Yeah, this is a feature that I've never really delved into. I haven't cut any slots, even in 1.48 scale. Something I haven't been moved to engage with,ย  other than black paint to mark the slots.ย 

And the underside is a mystery to me. I see what you mean re the NZ walkaround and compared to this...

Gc60-2

The dark areas are definitely featured on this kit, but Minicraft have given it a much lighter treatment, but recessed. The big Revell kit has the recesses more pronounced.ย 

Some of these museum examples have had makeovers that can include replaced wings and they could be from a postwar, revamped PV1 like a Howard 500--ย  I think Lear did some too, and others. So who knows what has gone on or been salvaged or refitted.ย 

Bit of a rabbit hole, looks like to me...๐Ÿซฃ

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Time for an update on the Ventura,ย  I think ๐Ÿค”....!! Goodness, doesn't Time fly when you're enjoying yourself?

Obvs I got a little bit sidetracked-ย  mostly by the Frog Voodoo, plus I'm being kept busy with real world stuff.ย 

The 2nd wing got some attention and is pretty well up to date with the 1st. The main endeavour was the painting of the fuselage decor. I used mig acrylic without too much preparation of the white base coat and it's a bit "temperamental". A bit flaky on the edges just where a nice clean line is required.ย 

Rubbed down,ย  2nd coated after remasking, and things are improved but still a bit sketchy on the edges. So, left a while.....

This evening I had what may be a breakthrough, although it may not,ย  let's see how it goes ๐Ÿ˜…ย 

20240313_210452

What happened was.....

I needed to replenish the teabag situation and started cutting the cellophane and noticed a "tear strip" still half-attached to the wrapping. I haven't seen one for a long time and don't even bother looking for them these days. But this was Yorkshire Tea, where things are done proper, and it turns out that the little gold strip has a glue side, probably an aid in the manufacturing process.ย 

Turns out that one complete tear strip is long enough to do a cheat line on both sides of the fuselage....๐Ÿ˜Ž

20240313_210405

ย 

20240313_210428

It's happy enough to tack down with its own glue and I've been over it with Pledge floor polish .

There are touch-ups to do and thinking about the bottom lines too, but this feels like a lurch in the right direction (if it stays on...)

So this is not a particular airline livery I'm trying to replicate, there's no reference material of "the real thing ". I'm just going for a decorative civil period style.ย 

ย 

Cellophane tear strips,ย  eh? Who-da thought it ๐Ÿ˜…โ€ผ๏ธ

• Like 11

Brilliant work with the tear strip! I like it when you can find everyday things to use in modelling. Itโ€™s going to look sharp when finished.ย 
ย 

Cheers

ย 

Jeff

• Like 4

Providence rewards people who drink proper tea!

Mrs MF asked me to unzip a 240 pack just a few days ago but the bin men have been since then. I reckon the next one is due in about 60 days...

ย 

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Providence rewards people who drink proper tea!

Adrian,ย  240 รท 60 = 4. And two of you on the case, discounting visitors, guests and neighbours....!

Not good enough ๐Ÿ˜…

ย 

One thing I had to test before going further was the masking on the windows. Plenty of scope for disappointment there, but I think it's OK ๐Ÿ‘ย 

20240314_003547

ย 

The astrodome is fitted. I have to own up that this is not the Frog part. I have some Special Hobby transparencies for a Hudson which are modern and much better and I've substituted. So the only Frog clear part used here is the cockpit canopyย 

• Like 8

Posted (edited)

Right,ย  we have an airframe to work with.ย 

Ventura airframe 1

ย 

Ventura airframe 2

And started to look at the undercarriage parts.ย 

And after searching and clearing debris, I found the door!! Bit of a reliefย 

Edited by rob Lyttle
Addition
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

I ought to mention a slight enhancement on the cowlings. The definition of the cooling flaps is a bit poor and I applied some strips of skinny plastic to give a clean edge and the slightest of overhangs. That gives a better idea of the cooling gaps under the flaps.ย 

20240315_192526

ย 

20240315_192512

I did a couple more strips on the horizontal joints which weren't that good. I think with a bit of rubbing down and paint these will settle down. I learnt early on that any work on the inboard sides of cowlings and nacelles should be done BEFORE fixing the wings to the fuselage...๐Ÿคช No use people telling you this --ย  you need to learn it the hard way. Then you know it....

• Like 9

Great progress on this Ventura, it's all coming together very well indeed.ย 

Using general household items in modelling projects always piques my interest, it's amazing what weird things we can think about whilst trying to get to bed!ย 

Cheers .. Daveย 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

OK,ย  finally have some decals designed and printed for this'un and a few others including the Frog Voodoo Sun Run build.ย 

20240405_131300

Tricky enough doing the USAF Amarillo style letters and numbers for the Voodoo but I found an online solution ๐Ÿ˜€ย 

So fingers crossed I can pull this off. Soon would be good ๐Ÿ‘ย 

• Like 9