Lockheed PV1 Ventura F240

rob Lyttle

I got to admit this one is taxing me. I'm progressing it- through hell and high water - but everything I do just seems to increase the overall ropiness of the thing. 

Paintwork is looking tired with unintentionally weathered areas. I got the precious door worked up ready to install, and then lost it again, this time for good. I scratched a new one and got it on.

The fit of the front cowling rings onto the main cowlings has exasperated me. They are too small and poor moulding accuracy has given them an off-centre tendency and the top intakes are a shambles. 

It's got to the point where I want it off the bench 🫣

But I'm decorating in an effort to "find some closure" as they say. 😇

20240408_180322

20240408_180337

20240408_180420

I got the flaps sorted out and even got 5 saw cuts in the tops for the channels and fixed them on. Here's the action....

20240408_180536

So all in all it's not the kind of model you'd put on the club display table. You know that saying about a man on a galloping horse wouldn't notice..... ? Well, maybe I'll take it to one of those equestrian 3day eventing meetings. 

One final push for the gallery then 

• Like 10

I think you’re being a bit hard on yourself Rob. I have followed you through this build and have seen what you’ve been up against and I think you have managed to make a great and unique piece of FROG history. I hope to see it in the gallery soon.

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, thanks for the cheer,  Jeff 😃

Probably have been messing with it for too long. It's been an adventure in plastic bashing alright and I don't suppose any other Frog Venturas end up in this style. 

Antennas are breaking up on the sprues so let's see what can be done in the finishing 👍

I'm calling this Ventura, done ✔️ 

Antennas and pitot scratch built in soldered brass wire, straight aerial in styrene. 

20240414_235812

20240414_235923

It's been an excellent adventure in plastic bashing, and trying at times. But like someone said earlier in the build, it's hardly recognisable compared to what I started with. Turret gone, ventral position faired over, cabin windows and seating installed on a floor, cockpit roof, and a makeover on the flaps. 👍

The main gripe would be the cowlings- the rings are too small and eccentric moulding makes it worse. Maybe down to Donetsk Toy Factory production or intrinsic to the kit but let's face it, if you had a genuine Frog kit you wouldn't be building it!

I'll get something in the gallery by way of conclusion. 

Thanks for your company along the merry way with this ❤️ 

• Like 12

It’s been a treat watching your build Rob. Very nice result due to the work you put into it.

Cheers

Jeff

• Thanks 1

I love the scheme - it's refreshing and different!

I share your frustration at FROG's seeming inability to get cowlings right.

I'd love to see a group shot of all your Lockheeds together - maybe in RFI some time?

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

Thats come up very well Rob and the attention to detail and dropped flaps make this kit stand apart from many other Ventura kits. Thanks for the informative text and photographic guidance. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...