1/350 H.M.S. Nelson by Dragon

IT_Man

Can of worms! Did we ever see renders for the Enterprise or Pennsylvania? I don't recall, but hopefully as we have them for the Nelson, things may be a bit more advanced!

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, IT_Man said:

Can of worms! Did we ever see renders for the Enterprise or Pennsylvania? I don't recall, but hopefully as we have them for the Nelson, things may be a bit more advanced!

Here: http://www.dragon-models.com/d-m-item.asp?pid=CHC1035

Nelson could be more popular/different?

Edited by delide

4 hours ago, delide said:

Here: http://www.dragon-models.com/d-m-item.asp?pid=CHC1035

Nelson could be more popular/different?

I’d definitely buy the Pennsylvania if they ever get around to releasing it. The late war fit is such a huge contrast to pre-war when she looked a lot like Arizona.

It seems like all the CAD was done, maybe they just didn’t have the funds to make the tooling.

7 hours ago, IT_Man said:

Enterprise was far enough along to display sprues

spacer.png

Hopefully Nelson makes it to market and sells well. Perhaps it will remind Dragon that there is a market for ships, and these might yet see the light of day

• Like 2

I'd be interested in the economic side of the big ship market. I'd imagine they don't sell as much in terms of unit quantities, but the value per item is a lot higher.

I buy a couple of the larger ones, generally Trumpeter, a year, and at current prices, that's more than my total outlay on aircraft for example.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/10/2024 at 4:44 AM, Tegethoff said:

Anyone know how much time Dragon give between kit announcement and it being on sale?

no, but I'd hazard a guess around 12months...

Does anyone else think the hull shape looks weird: amidships just above the bilge keel; also below the waterline, fw'd of the breakwater to the stem?

12 hours ago, RussellE said:

Difficult to say, hull shape below waterline is difficult as there is hardly any photo to compare. But what I think weird is the bilge keel itself, the width goes from wide to very narrow roughly a 1/3 way down and then wide again, makes little sense to me. Anyway, I guess they will have enough time to revise everything.

Edited by delide

2 hours ago, delide said:

Difficult to say, hull shape below waterline is difficult as there is hardly any photo to compare. But what I think weird is the bilge keel itself, the width goes from wide to very narrow roughly a 1/3 way down and then wide again, makes little sense to me. Anyway, I guess they will have enough time to revise everything.

Photos should never be relied upon for the correct hull shape. Rather, utilising the Admiralty lines plan from the maritime museum, Greenwich, is the only reliable method 😊 

It seems to me something has gone awry in this department or the surfacing method is inaccurate.

Edited by RussellE

1 hour ago, RussellE said:

Photos should never be relied upon for the correct hull shape. Rather, utilising the Admiralty lines plan from the maritime museum, Greenwich, is the only reliable method 😊 

It seems to me something has gone awry in this department or the surfacing method is inaccurate.

True, but I guess even those are not easy to compare with the CAD pictures we can see. Personally I can only hope that the manufacturers have done their job. The only thing I noticed is that the bilge keel looks a bit strange, but it could be correct that way too.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2024 at 11:25 PM, Julien said:

Thanks, Would not mind do the Rodney as was built in the shipyard where I did my Apprenticeship

Apart from AA fitout and crane location, there were differences in the bridge structure. The solid tower-like structure immediately aft of the forrard main armament director is different on the two ships - much longer fore and aft in Nelson than in Rodney. There was also a curiously shaped recess lower down in the main bridge structure on the starboard side of Rodney - can't remember why. Might have gone by WW2.

One  weird thing about Nelson is that it had USN style quad (2 x twin) Bofors 40mm mounts, from a refit mid-war in the States. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...