XP-84, the very first of the breed!

Hello, I anticipated a lot this GB because there are so many wonderful subjects to build!

My first will be the prototype which I plan to convert from the Heller F-84G kit. Now superseded by the Tamiya and Academy much better efforts, bust still enjoyable.

Pictures to follow.

Cheers Fabio

• Like 7

Excellent choice! The Heller still builds up well and quickly. None of those fussy detailed cockpits, wheel wells et al!

Cheers,

Andre

• Haha 1

Looking forward to this one, I lack the courage to chop up the fuselage to get it the right length.

Welcome to the GB.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/19/2024 at 8:43 PM, reini said:

How fitting that this is the first build thread in this section 🙂 Looking forwards to the pics and the building to commence at 27th :thumbsup:

By pure chance I was browsing the site when this thread was brand new, it was too good an opportunity to miss!

Now it's time for an update since it's already fallen in the third page...

First a look at the basic kit. I found inside an Aeroclub nose gear, will decide later about its use. I have also an Hobbyboss kit which may benefit from it.

20240129_222854

I took inspiration from these previous builds which are quite complete:

http://www.ratomodeling.com.br/finished/new_breed/

http://hsfeatures.com/features04/xp84bd_1.htm

The conversion is not that complex, but there are many changes to implement, so this is a list:

- remove 1 scale ft from the cockpit and shorten the cockpit tub too
- shorten the canopy of same amount and remove all the framing
- remove tip tanks and build up wingtips

- remove the auxiliary intakes below the cockpit
- engrave movable trim tabs for the ailerons and rudder, remove the fixed tabs

- add a long pitot tube to the left wing leading edge

- the thin strake under the tail is much longer
- the main wheel-wells have a different shap around the u/c leg (and so the u/c doors)
- the tail exhaust is slightly longer and with a bigger diameter

The last three I didn't see addressed in the previous conversions and it is interesting to note that most of them are not specific to the prototype but valid for all Thunderjets up to the F-84D included.

This could be a job for Sword!

First let's see the wings.

20240130_214252

I choose to make a quick resin copy of the Tamiya wheelwells to embellish a bit the Heller wings which are totally void. The result is a bit agricultural but not so bad.

20240130_224303

Wingtips nearly complete, tabs inscribed, wing cannon plugged and wheelwell shape corrected. See as I initially enlarged the hole for the leg attachment point and now I found it in the wrong place after changing the shape. With hindsight, I should have moved the attachment point instead of adapting the resin piece.

20240204_174926

Work is also underway on the fuselage: auxiliary inlets are gone and the early airbrake is installed (fit was not great...) while nothing has been installed inside. I preferred to make one single cut to avoid banana shapes and will add the cockpit and intake lining afterwards.

You'll see I'm removing all surface detail and I don't plan to rescribe it: I choose the Heller kit for this project just because there's is so much work to do on the airframe which would ruin all the delicate engraved details on the more modern kits and the prototype is also very smooth in its grey overall livery.

20240204_175009

Thanks for looking!

• Like 9

Alea iacta est!   (the die is cast)

20240205_221835

20240205_222414

I also replaced the exhaust with something more fitting shapewise (an old pen section) and I cut a groove for the long ventral strake.

20240206_230757

Thanks for looking!

Edited by Whirly
  • Like 9

A nice beginning Whirly.Nothing like a little surgery at the beginning to get the creative juices flowing. Looking Good!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, sorry for the long hiatus: time was very limited in the last two weeks so i did only small progress on this build.

I cut and added the longer strake from a piece of transparent acetate, because I needed something harder than plasticard to sustain the heavy sanding session which will follow generous applications of Mr.Surfacer.

20240225_130443

Hope to update soon with more progress. 

Thanks for looking!

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2024 at 9:38 AM, RidgeRunner said:

I’m still intrigued how this will work out. I want to build a D and this will give me inspiration. :)

With a bit of work it's not so difficult: the shortened cockpit needs stepped side consoles which are peculiar to the early marks.

20240303_163323

A bit of weight is needed in the nose before joining again the two sections.

20240303_163352

And that's it! I took care to cut the fuselage near to the widest point of the cockpit, so that after removing a few mm. the parts would meet again.

20240303_175826

Thanks for looking!

• Like 6

Hello, we are nearing the painting stage: airframe is complete, just needing a primer coat to check for minor defects and then on to the canopy.

20240310_182757

20240310_182806

Thanks for looking!

• Like 5

• 5 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 3/12/2024 at 2:59 PM, LorenSharp said:

This is coming along rather nicely. Great work so far.

Thanks Loren, hope to make it behind the deadline.

Sorry for the long hiatus, I had a very hard time with family and daily job in the last few weeks, on top of that a club show display required to put many more unplanned models quickly on the assembly line!

I'm trying to catch up with this to clear my space on the desk.

First I dressed up the basic kit provided seat.

20240317_165530

Then it was time to shorten the canopy and remove all the frames.

20240317_183758

It was a complex job because you need to match the windscreen cross section with a lot of sanding and I was afraid the thickness of the plastic was not enough. In the end you can do it with a lot of care to avoid crushing the canopy between your finger while polishing.

20240321_230849

The primer coat revealed a lot of blemishes needing attention, I'm still struggling with them but I'm optimistic.

Thanks for looking!

Edited by Whirly
couple of typos
  • Like 4

I know what you mean about life tripping you up occasionally. I'm n the same boat(airplane?) I'm trying to get myZELL build finished in time myself. YOurs is coming along Great! Keep it up!

• Like 2

Thank you @LorenSharp for the kind words. I saw what you are doing with the ZELL build and it is an incredible endeavour, once completed should be really spectacular!

Back to my build, I masked the cockpit in preparation for a black coat before the final grey.

I nearly missed an important detail: all the various intakes and outlets related to the engine seem to be missing on the first prototype (at least so appear from the available images) so I quickly filled them with super glue and baking soda.

20240414_182020

And now ready for paint.

20240414_175327

Thanks for looking!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

And painted it is!

There is no official reference for he 'Pearl Grey' used on the early USAAF jets, so I made a mix with mostly white and about 1/5th of RLM63.

20240425_180825

Already drying since yesterday, so should be ready for decaling soon.

Thanks for looking!

• Like 2