Ned's Chronological Stash Challenge #3 - HobbyBoss BT-2 (1932)

On 30/01/2024 at 05:59, Stef N. said:

I'm guessing you make these kits Terance? Ned is showing how good they look and build (although maybe a bit too fiddly for my fat fingers). Good work Ned.:clap2:

If you do have an association with these kits Terance, then I'd love to hear more about how they came about. Assembling them is a real pleasure, the effort put into their design is plain to see.

The hull sides are on, just waiting for the glue to dry.  So I'm working on getting a few subassemblies ready for primer.

The ammunition racks are probably the most complicated PE that I've tackled, but they've gone together well:

ABLVV84Jf23sDZfCWvvgZCJbcIhvyPEdkLtiPqiD

And one of the turrets is about to be glued together. I'm just thinking about the best way to go about it:

ABLVV87IRTZiDm4sK17VPd2ivGrxWjtYfdbM2odl

One of the turrets? Yes, the kit includes two. Both of which were on the same tank at different stages in it's life. I think we had a recent GB that would've suited a build of both options.

• Like 6

Hooray, Billy Two-Turrets. Left = Early, Right = Late.

Can't decide. Early = more in keeping with my build plans, but it's boring all over green paint. Late = three colour camo, but the Finnish Swastika decals are right over where the vision ports are, and look a right old pain to apply.

ABLVV87Gn9pl-k-Qewu6BZm4KC0YF0oOxMKhMCTy

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! I've had a silly-busy few weeks with work, migrating applications and databases onto that Cloud thing. No time at all for tanks, but I have racked-up a serious amount of overtime. What on earth can I spend it on?

Back to it today, putting together the last piece of the interior before I seal it all up. I've cheated a bit and set the doors 'open' so that you can see what it is.

ABLVV86LxON1UKyyT9SOvAtQIyJmURdyI9pEpz0F

Like a lot of early tanks, this one has plenty of wheels for me to be getting on with. I don't normally paint anything still on sprues, but made an exception for this lot. 48 wheels/rollers, all with rubber tyres.

ABLVV86BChR8x6B3KSzATLLESoEmRtqrCkGjT1dt

• Like 8

While paint dries on the wheels and shell rack, I've tackled one of those steps on the instruction sheet that I've been putting off - shaving tiny bolt heads and nuts off the sprues and glueing them onto the suspension bogies. I've highlighted a few, but there's six suspension shackle nuts and another two on the clamp that holds the unit onto the axle. And there's four bogies in total.

It does seem like overkill, but they do look good once they're on.

ABLVV86FBEm8FaAOLwzFJfhuaSY6NTvbl6h-UXLs

• Like 7

I've tried to keep working on this, I really have, but despite hours of work I still have sprues full of parts and sheets of PE to work through. It's turning into a bit of a plod, so after a good look at it this morning I've made a decision. It nearly got shelved, but what I'm going to do is close all of the hatches (just finished the hull interior too!) and go for the early all-green paint scheme and 3 pounder gun turret.

Sealing the hatches means that I don't have to worry about masking off the interior, and the all-green paint means that I can just build the whole thing and paint it rather than fuss about basic build then paint then mask then paint then add the sticky-out parts afterwards. There's also less PE on the early version. Having it as it was when it was originally made and shipped to Finland for evaluation also fits in better with my chronological build plan. No tricky decals either. RESULT!

I'm glad, progress had slowed to a trickle and the shelf of doom was beckoning. It's a super kit for anyone that likes a massive parts count and super detail, but it's a bit too much for me with my half-hours grabbed here and there.

Here's a last peek at the interior:

ABLVV85wmZYN4pTPH0hh8B6KcxeTHKmAsgLX7wxI

The hull parts fit together perfectly. The fit throughout has been excellent.

• Like 10

I don't regret my decision at all, but hiding all of my previous work means that I know have a build that I could've done in a weekend. Never mind.

Early turret complete (including a narrow band of PE round the base that I have been dreading). This early turret has been the only part of the kit that needed a bit of fettling. I've had to fill and rescribe the edges of the armour plates. 

Hull complete bar PE brackets, lights and a few tools. Oh, and one bit of PE that I'm going to have to create a clamp for so that I can do a 'long bend'. I don't have a proper tool for doing that (do I look like Nightshift?).

Running gear all painted a nice shade of green.

'Quicktracks' ordered (same company that does 'Quickwheel' painting masks) so we can see if they're any good. They're 3D printed, and supposedly just click together. We shall see!

AP1GczPUXnLQKuK-hOGdm8x3DXhi8MFrQWqMfE0X

• Like 7

I spent ages looking for a piece of PE last night. This morning I found it, glued to my tweezers :)

AP1GczP9g2JIw6HST02oi0TTOq0IdSfWS9YPIm8G

Just one last PE part to go, and I'll have it ready for priming. I'll ponder how to clamp it for bending while I run around Roundhay Park this lunchtime...

• Like 5

Looking at it now in green primer, it's hard to work out what I've spent 2 months doing, but at least it's getting close to the end!

One little gap to fill where the slot to locate the track guard shows up too much, and it's ready for more green paint.

I hope that the QuickTracks turn up soon, or I'll have nothing to do. I've already had a peek at what is next on my build list.

AP1GczPthqPkttcUheRA0WRhONoLBpA1CH9Q2-5Q

• Like 7

Yesterday morning I went for a run when it was chucking it down with rain. I didn't enjoy it much at the time, but it was worth it for the feeling of satisfaction afterwards.

Then in the afternoon I pinwashed the hull. I didn't enjoy it much at the time, but it was worth it for the feeling of satisfaction afterwards. At least I didn't get wet.

It took all afternoon to do the hull. Sooo many rivets. But the difference between the pinwashed hull and the unpinwashed turret really shows the difference.

AP1GczNafzWAkumVX14nIZvBiAXb7wSpovSpY3hK

Still no tracks :(

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

My tracks have arrived!

AP1GczP5pNXoG8Fi-fxldNHwU1gTCBdDqPHI57J3

Very nice. They really do 'snap' together and I haven't had any break. A small bag of links with drilled out pins and a length of wire are included for closing the loop.

I assembled most of one run during a boring conference call this afternoon. Either the '125 per side' is wrong or I miscounted, because it's a bit too long :S

Don't worry, I haven't got the bogies the wrong way around, this is just a test fit. I'll glue them now that I have a length of track to line them up on.

This is just the right amount of sag I think for a newly-delivered tank, so I hope I get a match on the other side.

AP1GczPMcqlEa-ZRVGigqXfRxwwG9XL-6zG9VZky

Nice detail on both sides, including hollow guide horns, and they're a good fit on the drive sprockets. Winner!

AP1GczPKEbRRyQUYJvq4eb3IUSglgvxrs3EcM2io

• Like 9

110 for Vickers 6 Tonner. 

T26 is carbon copy of Vickers 6 Tonner, twin turrets. The number of track link reduced to 108 - 109. There is somehow simplify design on the tracks that make the width of the track shorter in few mm. 

The 7TP track is a carbon copy of Vickers 6 Tonner, twin turrets, but without any simplify design. The width of the 7TP track (early version) remain the same of Vickers 6 tonner. The width of the 7TP track (middle and late version) however shorter in few mm. 

The track in CAMs kit is a late version, (since 1933). It is longer in width for better performance.  

Edited by Terance Wong
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Terance Wong said:

110 for Vickers 6 Tonner. 

T26 is carbon copy of Vickers 6 Tonner, twin turrets. The number of track link reduced to 108 - 109. There is somehow simplify design on the tracks that make the width of the track shorter in few mm. 

The 7TP track is a carbon copy of Vickers 6 Tonner, twin turrets, but without any simplify design. The width of the 7TP track (early version) remain the same of Vickers 6 tonner. The width of the 7TP track (middle and late version) however shorter in few mm. 

The track in CAMs kit is a late version, (since 1933). It is longer in width for better performance.  

Thanks Terance. I realise now that a second set that I've bought for an IBG single turret 7TP are probably the wrong ones then. If they don't fit the sprockets I will know why :(

Both track runs are now complete. The idler wheels and the bogies are also glued now. A bit more weathering on the lower hull sides, and then I'll get the tracks on once they're painted. Starting to feel like it might actually be finished one day now.

Glad you stuck with this one-the CAMs Vickers 6Tons are probably one of my favorite set of kits ever.  I think I've built four or five and am likely going to start another one next month when I finish up some other projects.  This time, I'm thinking of backdating one to an Alt. A with twin turrets.

nice build, love the interior detail but get your pain in bench time... maybe you could've kept the engine bay open as that engine was gorgeous..... look forward to what's next

• Like 1

On 20/03/2024 at 22:43, f matthews said:

Glad you stuck with this one-the CAMs Vickers 6Tons are probably one of my favorite set of kits ever.  I think I've built four or five and am likely going to start another one next month when I finish up some other projects.  This time, I'm thinking of backdating one to an Alt. A with twin turrets.

They are lovely kits. The fit of the parts has been perfect throughout. If I follow my plans through the IBG kit is 10 builds down the line, but I'd love to see how it compares, it's a full interior, looks a bit scary tbh.

I do like the twin turret version, anything like that always appeals to me. Where will you get the turrets from?

12 hours ago, robw_uk said:

nice build, love the interior detail but get your pain in bench time... maybe you could've kept the engine bay open as that engine was gorgeous..... look forward to what's next

I know Rob, but I just got to that point where I could tell that I was going to struggle to finish it. I spent a good hour with it sat in front of me, just working though what options I had and what was the most likely to end up with something complete.

Unfinished business though I think. 1930's armour is definitely where my interest is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ned said:

They are lovely kits. The fit of the parts has been perfect throughout. If I follow my plans through the IBG kit is 10 builds down the line, but I'd love to see how it compares, it's a full interior, looks a bit scary tbh.

I do like the twin turret version, anything like that always appeals to me. Where will you get the turrets from?

I will use a CAMS kit for the base.  I have a couple of Mirage or RPM turrets from a twin turret 6-Tonner I scrapped years ago.  The turrets aren't too bad and were detailed a bit with an Aber set, so they can be salvaged I think.

Getting close! I've just fitted the QuickTracks track. It's really easy to do if you don't fit the outer half of the return rollers until after it's  on. Done that now and set a bit of sag.

I'll clean up and prime the tools now while that side dries. Then that will be it for the sprues. Then comes the ceremonial throwing away of the box and empty sprues. Hooray!

AP1GczN5Z9xXEhKbIYQAOLoVb9DudmQnvd36PVko

I must admit that I've already extracted the next build from the stash in the loft. I've had a peek at it but successfully resisted the urge to 'just make a start on it' because we all know what happens next...

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Here we go, it is (almost) finished! I've done some oil weathering today, and other than some PE straps holding the track tensioning tool in place that are beyond my ability to attach, I've 'done' everything that the kit has to offer.

A quick puff of matt varnish tomorrow, and then it goes onto the shelf. I'll try to take some better pictures with daytime light. I might even dig my SLR out of the drawer that it has been in for years now.

Super kit, really enjoyed the challenge of this one. Without my self-imposed build queue I would never have got round to it, so I'm feeling pretty pleased with myself :)

There's no chipping, and no attempt to add mud/dirt, and I really don't care. I've realised that it's the engineering that I care about - how the tank is built and the way that the suspension works is more important to me than muck. My builds from now will follow the same method.

AP1GczNwXbeUFpD41GVKqL0ht42OKwd6tnQDhWwX

AP1GczN3JyffmtFHoThrBUG439ajxEeT5FrreCNg

AP1GczMxCmiQNfzDwqSpozBFfiIAv_rm3RQzT9gr

AP1GczOQp-C3y8XKeN8Bwq0HTF-Ox8se7Wzblnqh

• Like 9

Great result, superb build and paint, looking forward to the next one now!

Stay safe            Roger

Posted (edited)

While the battery in my camera is charging, I may as well introduce the next build. It's now 1932, and here is a Soviet BT-2. Yes, it's the weird one designed to drive on roads with the tracks taken off!

AP1GczNbAQQbjllZJTS1iYx_C2zHlwi1OvqmfdZJ

There's a lot of plastic for what looks like a simple design. HobbyBoss do like making it more complicated than it needs to be. I was hoping for a quick build after taking too long over the Vickers.

AP1GczOwWr5IteuKGxX-o7Kmz5pOhPACjwztOiKY

I'll be building it with the tracks off if I can get the wheels to sit level, mainly for interest, but also because the individual track links have sink marks and pretty hefty sprue gates to clean up that I can hopefully hide.

It should be fun, it certainly looks unusual with the turret way forward and the narrow nose.

Not looking very tanky yet:

AP1GczNNBimwR-bahUVtKOC2Hh3eJYAHlxnwjIx2

Edited by Ned
photos now embedded
  • Like 4