Bf 110G-4 +++++ Finished ++++++

after a week or so of fill, sand, repeat I have now got to the stage where I thnk that I can stop for the moment. During this time I still have the slanted guns and frame behind the pilots seat intact, although I did give them a few hefty whacks now and again. I have also now fitted the fins as I thought that these would have got in the way beforehand. The ncame a strange thing  as I thought about the aerials and their mounts at the front whilst asleep at about 3am one night. I remembered tha tI had drilled any holes for these to fit in and thought that I had mssed them. But no on looking at the instructions no holes had to be drilled in the nose halves, but then looking closer there is no information of where and how they fit at all just some arrows pointing in a general direction. There are also no indications on the nose either and I do not think that I rubbed them away whilst sanding. If anyone can point me with some assistance I would be very grateful, as I would like to get the bigger parts orf the arrangementfitted before I start painting. I will also need more help with the paint scheme, but that will be a bit later.

duFJAXT.jpg

3UmNwMX.jpg

akxzX0d.jpg

UxH5vct.jpg

88rLa5y.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Jabba said:

after a week or so of fill, sand, repeat

Always worth searching on here, but try using google, adding Britmodeller into the search term...

this build is well worth a read,  too late for you on this, but for others seeing the issues,  and also as series of elegant solutions and ways to approach a model..... 

a build here of the same kit 

@elger  maybe able to answer questions on antenna locations, maybe not as looks like a replacement nose.

HTH

• Like 1

great question! I only used a different upper half of the nose, because the G-4 I built probably had machine guns fitted, rather than the cannons. I don't remember it exactly, but I think I recall running into the exact same problem as @Jabba - where to place the antennas is not indicated clearly anywhere at all. I think in the end I made the best possible estimation where the antennas should be fitted based on drawings, profiles, or photos and drilled small holes from the outside.

You've done well to keep the guns and frame intact with all of that sanding, and at least the end is in sight with that now.

James

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your advice, it has been very helpful. Afer being away last weekend I have spent this week atatching the said aerial masts to the nose. I did this one aerial each day so that it could set correctly after fitting it with super glue. I think that I have got them in the right places, although the lower two do not seem quite square with the air flow but every time I adjusted them they just settled back to where they are now. 

As I am getting close to painting I have looked at the scheme that I am going to do "C" on the instructions and I think that I have got a bit confused. I maybe over thinking this but as I have said before I am in uncharted territory. I am right in saying that the aircraft is painted all over in RLM 76 with the darker colour on the top being RLM 75? The instructions show RLM 70, but I cannot find where this goes. There is also an amendment sheet, but I think that Eduard just got the colours the wrong way around on the main instructions, am I correct there? Also wouls it advisable to add the main U/C, as I do not normally do this?

Lastly do I need to fit part N1 for the aircraft that I am making and what should go in the two ovals at the front of the lower nose?  Are these cannon ports as the kit provides nothing and there is just a gaping hole?

t4kMV4h.jpg

ctvQOQ9.jpg

k3K5JSX.jpg

PwgRYUp.jpg

d6auJaA.jpg

WzqcyyU.jpg

43udjEr.jpg

• Like 5

N1 is the ETC rack - for mounting bombs externally. IIRC, there was some order that all night fighters should also be able to carry out bombing missions, which is why there are photos of 110G night fighters fitted with them. I think these were detachable, and when flying night interception missions I would think that crews would prefer to not have these things fitted.

It does look like they mixed up the numbers for the camouflage. It's the propellers of the aircraft that are RLM 70.

• Like 1

You've continued to make good progress with this one :) As others have said, the RLM 70 is the props. Looking at the correction sheet, the pattern of the camouflage is slightly different as well, but 76 is the lighter colour with 75 being the darker shade

James

Thank you all for your very valuable advice. I have fitted the main U/C, thinking that it would be better to have it there to support the model whilst the paint is drying. Yet again (it maybe me) I had difficuty understanding the instructions as to where parts went. I stuck one side which looked alright, then the other which fitted better only to find that the first one was way too low. So I managed to get this back out and then refitted it as it is in the pictures. I remember I had some difficulty when fitting some parts into the engine nacelles many moons ago, so that may have had something to do with the results. I have also fitted the bomb rack, mainly because of what @elger said. I also spent a fair while applying the masks to the glazing, which yet again fitted where it wanted to. I could get 2 or 3 sides to fit correctly but the others went over the painted area of the glass work. I had the same thing happen to me when recently masking a Lancaster canopy (getting well out of my modelling depth so far this year). I will take a knife to some of the edges soon.

SOqh7ZT.jpg

SqULdYj.jpg

pPVgYIG.jpg

tE157HN.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Although I have been concentrating on a different model for the past week or so, I have still made some progress with this on. I now have the Light Blue painted. This took a coat more than I was expecting, but has now covered the darker plastic better now. Unfortunately when trying to get a part for another model out that ones box I managed to break one of the lower antenna masts. I have managed to repair it, but it is now quite correct, but it will have to do. Sorry if I am bringing this up again, but it is the ammended paint scheme. On the original chart it shows the upper fuselage having a 2 coloured splintered camo, whilst on the ammendment sheet it is just 1 colour. May I ask which is actually correct?

Also I am not sure what is happening with some of my photos as they seem to disappear, probably down to this new fangled way in which Imgur now operates. I hate it and wish that they had not changed it. As the old saying goe, if it is not broken why fix it.

RmSr7zA.jpg

HAYdYtm.jpg

MMFbpEq.jpg

5sv34ib.jpg

BUvLgSi.jpg

h190Z1x.jpg

• Like 7

It looks like you've got a nice smooth coat of RLM 76 on there. I'd go with the errata sheet, if nothing else, Mr Hobby H417 is the lighter RLM 76 and not the RLM 75 that it's labelled as on the original profile. It's odd your links keep disappearing, how do you insert the images into your posts? Do you copy the IMG link directly, or copy the URL and insert that into the post?

James

Thanks James. I am doing everything that I used to do, only in Imgurs new fashion. So I am doing the direct linking of old. The only thing I can think off is when I delete the folder that the pictures are first put into before I add them to the folder where I want them to be in. I am not sure how long after the photos are moved I can delete this folder, or if I have to re-link the pctures in the proper folder so that they are then permenantly on my thread? It is just now too confusing for a ludite like myself. I may have to experiment.

I upload all of my photos directly to a dedicated folder for that project, and once they're there I click on the three dots icon that comes up in the top right of the image when you hover the mouse over the image. That brings up a menu with an option for "get share links", so click that and the grey box that pops up has "BBCode (Forums)" as the third option. Click the green "copy link" button to the right of that and paste the result directly into the post. I hope that makes sense?

James

Thanks James, but to be honest it is as clear as mud to me, as I am a person who really has to be shown how to do things. Strange that a few of us were talking about how we learn things at work and most of us agreed that we had to be shown how to do things rather than read instructions. Mind you most of us in that group were a bit on the older side. I do have a dedicated folder for each model that I enter into a GB, it is the small folder that the photos go into that I am not sure when to delete and if it affects the photos in the thread thereafter. 

Anyhow some more paint added in the shape of the darker colour. I think that I got the side of the fuselage just about right. I still have to do the blotches on the fuselage sides, tailplanes and the front parts of the engine cowlings, which will be done tonight hopefully. I did have another photo of the top side from the other direction, but somehow this did not want to upload to my computer. I may try tomorrow.

New photo now added.

dCT2ema.jpg

DOZ2zc9.jpg

aeKqaNZ.jpg

FfSbnTL.jpg

• Like 8

Mottling now added. I do not really know how good it is, so please be critical if required it may deserve it.

Also thanks to @mark.au who pointed out how bad the exhausts are on his build, I have aordered an Eduard Brassin set and some wheels.

Ozp7jur.jpg

qYbvCFX.jpg

• Like 8

That mottle looks just fine.  Some of the mottle applied on the real thing was extremely rough and ready, yours is very tidy by comparison.

I managed to get the major decals on last night, will apply some of the stencils tonight (some are not worth it). The new exhausts and wheels arrived today. The exhausts are a vast improvement over the kit ones.

zzAVgc4.jpg

zbTHwpJ.jpg

eAKWHim.jpg

3wm1ICq.jpg

• Like 9

The decals are looking good, and I definitely agree with you on those resin exhausts. Though it would be hard for them to not be better than the kit offerings...

James