Classic Airframes 1/48 Grumman J4F-1 Widgeon -- Finished

dnl42

I'm happy to see you got the window issue sorted, and a lovely coat of primer on. Looking forward to seeing the top coats go on now

James

• Thanks 1

On to masking!

Here is a contemporaneous photo of my subject.

Widgeon-start3.jpg

Here is CA's interpretation of that scheme.

j4f-profile05.jpg

Unlike the profile, the photo shows the yellow on the horizontal stabilizer wraps around on the underside leading edge. Easy to do.

But what about the yellow on the wing upper surface in the way of the fuselage. Is anybody aware of a contemporaneous photo like this to confirm or refute?

Photo.php?25126

TIA 

:bye:

• Like 7

• dnl42 changed the title to Classic Airframes 1/48 Grumman J4F-1 Widgeon

@81-er, I do like that scheme and would most likely have chosen it even if decals for the blue schemes were provided. It's a good match for my Goose. The Duck apparently doesn't provide a yellow-wing scheme but @Duncan B did a wonderful job from his spares.

The airframe is painted. I used Mr.Color C--113 (RLM04) as a base coat for the yellow with Mr.Color C329 (FS13538) as the final coat. Tamiya Mica Silver for the rest of the airframe. I hemmed and hawed on the best masking approach, but in the end I decided it was easier to mask the yellow bits, so I first spray yellow without masking, then masked the yellow, hit the yellow overspray with Mr.Finishing Surfacer 1500 White, and then applied to Silver. Worked just fine.

Widgeon-painted0.jpg

Widgeon-painted1.jpg

Thanks for looking :bye:

• Like 11

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you so much for your comments, they are truly appreciated. :clap2:

Woohoo! Decals are on! While the plastic was quite trying at times, the Cartograph decals went on smoothly and without silvering.

Widgeon-decals0.jpg

The rudder markings did take some time get the wrap-around to settle.

Widgeon-decals1.jpg

No markings topsides, but the bottom is well decorated. 

Widgeon-decals2.jpg

The small bits are mostly painted. I still need to paint the wood props and tires, then add and rig the tip floats, landing gear, and antennas.

Thanks for looking. :bye:

• Like 6

Thank you @modelling minion and @81-er

Well, I got ahead of myself and installed the floats. 

Widgeon-float.jpg

I used 6 mil ceramic fibre for this. The center braces are cut to length, laid in place, and glued in with Formula '560'. The side braces are inserted into holes drilled with a #80 drill and glued in place; these are cut over-length.

I got ahead of myself because I wanted to clear-coat the model before installing the floats. 

Looking forward to finishing it this weekend.

Thanks for looking! :bye:

• Like 4

@modelling minion and @81-er, you're very kind. I do like ceramic fibre for this use as it provides rigidity to the tip floats; they were quite weak transversely without the fibre bracing.

I was hoping to be done today, but I forgot to consider drying time for the Grumbacher Academy watercolor I used for the propeller wood grain; I used a Molotov pen for the spinners and metal propeller edge/tip guards. I sprayed Winsor & Newton Satin Varnish on the model and brushed W&N Matt Varnish on the anti-glare, wing walk, and tires. I'll use W&N Gloss Varnish on the props in a day or two.

Widgeon-almost1.jpg

The RDF loop was made from a copper 'jump' ring and brass rod soldered together for strength. The antennas are Evergreen strip. 

Thanks for looking. :bye:

• Like 2

Woohoo! I got 'er done! 

The kit needed some effort, but I'm very happy with the results. To be sure, the transparencies only fair, but it will stand proud next to its bigger brother, the JRF Goose.

Widgeon-finished00.jpg

I used Mr.Color C46 Clear Gloss on the props as I didn't want to interact with the watercolor with a water soluble varnish.

• Like 3

• dnl42 changed the title to Classic Airframes 1/48 Grumman J4F-1 Widgeon -- Finished