New tools time ..

treker_ed

I've decide to treat myself to a few new tools, and with Telford fast approaching, I thought this would be the perfect time to obtain them 

So first of all, a set of new sprue clippers, something that will snip those parts with the cleanest of cuts, and least likely to cause any damage to the smallest of parts...

Secondly, to take things up a notch or two, a riveting tool to redo any lost detail when sanding back those pesky seems.

Thirdly, a re-scribing tool. At the moment it's a pin in a vice tool that's sufficing, so I thought I might try and do things properly for a change!!!

Any recommendations? I do have a budget of about £25-£30 per tool but not really more than that. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

For nippers I’ve got the Dspiae single sided ones and they’re really good and somewhere between £30 and £40. I have heard the godhands are good but are about £50. 
for scribers 2 recommendations the set of 3 that MRP do (I got mine from premium hobbies and they are normally at Telford) which are a excellent and about £30 for the set or the Tamiya handle and scriber tip either needle style or ‘hook’. I would also really recommend the 2mm chisel tip they do I use mine all the time 

• Thanks 1

@Robert Finally got round to watching the video. Thanks for posting, it's more to do with how to use riveting and re-scribing tools rather than recommendations on tools to use. As I have never used them, and only have a very simple "pin in a vice tool" at the moment, I need some recommendations of what tools people have used themselves, which ones have worked well, and which ones to avoid like the plague!

I will be going to SMW in November, so will be hunting round all the appropriate stands looking for new tools - so any suggestions that members can give me now, will be researched and looked at before the show.

(PS Don't need new sprue cutters - they have been sourced, and recommendations made - will be picking those up in the next few days)

I like the Trumpeter too - some seem to think that it is more a trenching than scribing tool, but I find it comes pretty close to matching 1/72 panel lines in most cases. The main problem is its sometimes not possible to get in to acute angle joins (e.g nacelle/wing joins). I often just use the naked blade as the handle gets in the way.

A better tool but MUCH more expensive are the Tamiya fine engraving blades sold in a variety of widths, starting with a very tiny .1mm. They are also capable of getting into the tightest corners. But fragile - I dropped one and the blade broke. And, I repeat, stupid expensive - over £20 per blade.

Cheers

Colin

• Thanks 1

Thanks for that, and Airscale will be at Telford!

RB  are ones that I have heard consistently good things about over the years, but knew they had stopped production/trading so had not bothered asking/looking into them. So yes, it's good news that someone has taken on the line of tools.