Revell 00454 Enterprise worth it?

I've been eyeing the Revell 00454 NCC-1701 Enterprise (https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-00454-uss-enterprise-ncc-1701--1182724),

Has anyone built this and can say if it's worth the extra dough for the lights? Is it a good kit?

I saw that there is a PE set from Greenstrawberry for €32, would that make a big difference on this kit since I saw it was stated for another kit (04880)?

If it's anything like the recent Voyager kit, it should be a sharp and well-detailed model. I think the days of Revell bringing out poorly-engineered kits are probably nearly over (yep, I know that the 1/32 F/A-18 is of a very questionable standard, but apparently that was a real "rush job". Why? No idea).  

Hope this helps. 

Chris. 

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

The Saucer section has moulded gridlines. The original filming model (as we all know) had these lines drawn on with a pencil.

The kit is more representative of the CGI Enterprise featured in the DS9 episode "Trials and tribbbilations".

It builds well, and the pylon/engine mounting is solid.

2019-02-20_04-22-04

2019-02-20_04-20-58

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @ShogunBallistic

That was the first model I ever built, I took it slow, learned a lot and thoroughly enjoyed it. As mentioned by John, the model is not 100% faithful to the original series. I built the model without any PE additions, and I have seen some people fill the panel lines for a smooth finish. I had no issues with the fit, it's a well made set, and for my first model I think I chose a good one. I'm sure someone with more experience could really make it something special!

I did light my model, but I did everything myself rather than buy a lighting kit. Lighting kits seem hard to find here in the UK and I've not been brave enough to order PE parts or lighting kits from the US yet :) Here's some links to my build, hope it helps!

Work in progress - Sorry some images are missing from me in this WIP thread, I'd actually deleted them and forgotten I'd posted them on there :/ 

Ready for inspection:

Edited by SteveR
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have built one and added a lighting kit (a UK one) the lighting kit and enterprise kit together work out cheaper than the revell technik one and has better results but you do have to build the circuits but thats fairly easy as the instructions are very clear 

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/12/2023 at 15:21, airfixpeter said:

I have built one and added a lighting kit (a UK one) the lighting kit and enterprise kit together work out cheaper than the revell technik one and has better results but you do have to build the circuits but thats fairly easy as the instructions are very clear 

That's super cool! Where did you get the lighting kit?

• Like 1