Airfix 'Vintage Classsics' Whirlwind HAS.22

Smudge

Just picked one of these up from my local model shop. I was fearing the worst, but when I opened up the box it's not so bad. Original thoughts were to find some alternative schemes/decals, but the green RN option WV223, is quite fetching.

I haven't been able to find much in the way of reference material for this green Whirlwind. Are there any photo's out there? There is a similar machine on the cover of a Warpaint Series publication on the Chickasaw/Whirlwind. Is this WV223?

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/WPS106?result-token=i3k07

I'm interested in any external details specific to this Whirlwind, such as the cabin access step etc. Also, if this is WV223 she has additional windows in the cabin door.

I believe WV223 in this green scheme (Green Parrot) was a VIP/Admirals Barge aircraft. Would HAS.22 be the correct designation? Maybe HCC.22 ?

I'm thinking of buying the Warpaint book. Are there any other pictures inside?

Cheers :)

13 hours ago, Smudge said:

Just picked one of these up from my local model shop. I was fearing the worst, but when I opened up the box it's not so bad. Original thoughts were to find some alternative schemes/decals, but the green RN option WV223, is quite fetching.

I haven't been able to find much in the way of reference material for this green Whirlwind. Are there any photo's out there? There is a similar machine on the cover of a Warpaint Series publication on the Chickasaw/Whirlwind. Is this WV223?

I'm interested in any external details specific to this Whirlwind, such as the cabin access step etc. Also, if this is WV223 she has additional windows in the cabin door.

I believe WV223 in this green scheme (Green Parrot) was a VIP/Admirals Barge aircraft. Would HAS.22 be the correct designation? Maybe HCC.22 ?

It may be best to ask the author: @AMB

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, petetasker said:

PM sent

Thank you, very much appreciated.

9 hours ago, petetasker said:

The aircraft on the front of the Warpaint book is WV204 of 781 Sqn. The only other info on WV223 in the book is a port side colour profile.

Thanks again, interesting to know there was more than one 'Green Parrot' Whirlwind. 

A good friend of mine, Chris was lucky enough to catch both of these at Plymouth in the late 1960s.

18989187825_3ce9f4c043_b.jpg

Sikorsky Whirlwind HAS22 WV223 Plymouth 5-2-68 by Chris England, on Flickr

16048314954_6b73dcf7f4_b.jpg

Sikorsky S-55 Whirlwind HAS22 WV204 Plymouth 25th July 1967 by Chris England, on Flickr

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Great pictures, @71chally thank you so much. Lovely colour images. They'll help with some of the details.

I love the curtains at the cabin windows :)

Looking through the cabin windows of WV223, it's possible the she had the extra windows in the passenger door?

Cheers. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2023 at 6:32 PM, Smudge said:

As author of the Warpaint book on the Whirlwind, the cover photo is WV204. Inside there are close-up starboard side photos of WV223. Yes, both were designated  HAS.22s

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Adrian, thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

On 20/08/2023 at 09:59, AMB said:

Inside there are close-up starboard side photos of WV223...................

Ok, fair enough. I have a copy in my 'Cart' with a certain emporium :D