Lockheed Gold Star T Mk 1

"What's a Lockheed Gold Star?" I hear you ask: the answer is a silly idea I had whilst looking for a scheme for a 1/48 T-33 which I bought on impulse.  It was an Academy kit, and I almost did one of the box schemes, but I was in a silly mood so this won out.  No elaborate back story, simply that there was no Folland Gnat in my alternative world, which not only allowed me to put a classic scheme on this classic trainer, but meant I could use a serial that had belonged to a Gnat irl.

As for the name "Gold Star", it continues two de-facto series: Lockheed aircraft carrying names relating to stars; and the RAF naming trainers after something academic.  OK, perhaps not as academic as naming it after an Oxbridge college (eg Balliol), an Ivy League university (eg Harvard) or a teacher/professor (eg Magister), but still vaguely to do with school.

Markings were a mixture of decals and sprayed with home-cut masks.  It was done very quickly as a mojo-restorer, so don't look too closely at any imperfections, of which there are many: just see whether you agree with me that this classic trainer looks rather good in a classic trainer scheme it never wore in reality.

20230702-135344.jpg

20230702-135335.jpg

20230702-135307.jpg

I thank you.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, MikeC said:

just see whether you agree with me that this classic trainer looks rather good in a classic trainer scheme it never wore in reality.

I agree, it looks like it was meant to wear that scheme - looks grand!! :nodding:

Keith

• Thanks 1

Well, the Canadian built T-33 (CT-133) was called Silver Star, so Gold Star is fitting. Looks good. Not my favorite kit though. My build was a nightmare with the wing to fuselage join. You did a good job.

Wlad

• Thanks 1

Thanks all for the kind comments.

8 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

how about a PC9 instead of the Tucano next? 

That's a thought :hmmm: