Brushable acrylic paint lines.

sapperastro

1 hour ago, Yes_Man said:

forget brush painting Tamiya/Gunze at all)

Common myth.

So, you stir, seems thin enough, brush it in, as soon as you try to cover the previous part done seconds ago, it lifts it up and drags up part dried paint into a mess?

AFAIK this because it use an alcohol as a solvent, this flashes off fast, but the wet paint is 'hot' enough to bring up the drying paint already applied. 

Solution, reduce 'hotness' and dry time,  by adding water.  

I use deionised water, mostly as i bought some years ago, and my tap water is very hard.    I add flow improver, which is just breaks the surface tension a bit.

An easy to to do this is with a syringe, draw up approx 95% water, and 5% flow improver, err on less FI.

Stir paint, add some to a pallete. add the water/FI mix a drop at a time (which is why I use a syringe) till like milk.   Use a small FLAT brush.  Brush out in all directions. Does not then lift, brushes out, you can overcoat almost immediately.  

This is Tamiya Buff applied in the way described, as an undercoat for Vallejo.

52117145742_bd67b17cc0_b.jpg50620206 by losethekibble, on Flickr

HTH

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Casey said:

That's a very valuable feedback! Out of curiosity, did you try additional flow improver or Liquitex airbrush medium?

Ah yes I forgot to mention I mixed the paint mix 1:1 with Liquitex Fluid Matte Medium as you recommended. Made it dry nice and flat. I didn't try any additional flow improver as I suspect Ultimate Thinners already has a retarder. If I really wanted to try again I might get some Vallejo flow improver and see if that improves it further, but at this point as I mentioned I'll stick with the tried and true Tamiya/Gunze. Makes life easier as I have the luxury of being able to spray them.

2 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Common myth.

So, you stir, seems thin enough, brush it in, as soon as you try to cover the previous part done seconds ago, it lifts it up and drags up part dried paint into a mess?

AFAIK this because it use an alcohol as a solvent, this flashes off fast, but the wet paint is 'hot' enough to bring up the drying paint already applied. 

Solution, reduce 'hotness' and dry time,  by adding water.  

I use deionised water, mostly as i bought some years ago, and my tap water is very hard.    I add flow improver, which is just breaks the surface tension a bit.

An easy to to do this is with a syringe, draw up approx 95% water, and 5% flow improver, err on less FI.

Stir paint, add some to a pallete. add the water/FI mix a drop at a time (which is why I use a syringe) till like milk.   Use a small FLAT brush.  Brush out in all directions. Does not then lift, brushes out, you can overcoat almost immediately.  

This is Tamiya Buff applied in the way described, as an undercoat for Vallejo.

Spoiler

52117145742_bd67b17cc0_b.jpg

50620206 by losethekibble, on Flickr

HTH

I have tried to brush Tamiya before but it just never works well enough for me to bother with it. I even bought their dedicated retarder (delivered from Hong Kong no less) and it still wasn't a go for me. Compared to the time it takes me to load up the airbrush and get spraying it's just not worth the hassle. I'm glad you found a way to do it reliably though. Always helpful to have another tool in the box.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Yes_Man said:

Ah yes I forgot to mention I mixed the paint mix 1:1 with Liquitex Fluid Matte Medium as you recommended. Made it dry nice and flat. I didn't try any additional flow improver as I suspect Ultimate Thinners already has a retarder.

I found this paint to work best with Liquitex retarder and Liquitex airbrush medium than with Ultimate thinner alone.

8b7818c1b898569d4affc6f92e0dd8fd.jpg

Here are some of my freehand tests with this paint using the retarder and medium above - no other thinning - gradient and some small mottle like spots on the worst possible surface - not primed gloss coated (non sticky) test square - some paints fail with adhesion on this test. So this is what you can realistically expect from this product. I think closest comparison I would make is Revell there, not Tamiya.

Each square is 2x2 inch. I use around 15psi on Sotar 2020 with 0.2 nozzle (fine)

Edited by Casey
I've changed the photo to link to a higher res
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Casey said:

I found this paint to work best with Liquitex retarder and Liquitex airbrush medium than with Ultimate thinner alone.

Would you mind sharing an exact recipe of what you're adding to the mixes? I'm willing it to give it another go even if I have to get a few more products (in for a penny in for a pound and all that). Although my initial experience wasn't as good as Tamiya it was still the best water-based acrylic I've airbrushed next to the AK 3rd Gen Acrylics (great paint, terrible colour accuracy imho) so it's worth giving it another go in my book.

33 minutes ago, Yes_Man said:

Would you mind sharing an exact recipe of what you're adding to the mixes? I'm willing it to give it another go even if I have to get a few more products (in for a penny in for a pound and all that). Although my initial experience wasn't as good as Tamiya it was still the best water-based acrylic I've airbrushed next to the AK 3rd Gen Acrylics (great paint, terrible colour accuracy imho) so it's worth giving it another go in my book.

Here it is:

1: Dilute flow aid between 1:20 and 1:10 (as recommended by vendor). I used 1:15.

2: Mix it about 1:6 with airbrush medium. Stir slowly to avoid foaming.

3: Use that mixture in 1:1 ratio to thin the paint.

All according to vendor suggestions.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 3

I have a mixing question, I'm trying to get something like the paint on the left and have purchased the paint on the right , what do I need to mix to so or have I got the wrong base blue? (and if so can someone point out a suitable brusable acrylic to use as a base) 

mixing.jpg 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

3 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

I have a mixing question, I'm trying to get something like the paint on the left and have purchased the paint on the right , what do I need to mix to so or have I got the wrong base blue? (and if so can someone point out a suitable brusable acrylic to use as a base) 

mixing.jpg 

You wont be able to achieve more saturated color using less saturated pigments. Colors mixing is more an one way road, your available pigments define the absolute borders of the available color map in term of color and saturation.

Try thinking of map like that:

ca230b1936f39d480a32af0278a63c06.png

Those are the most common pigments on a color wheel. You can only mix colors that are between the selected pigments and black/white (and to make things more complicated, the lines are not exactly straight, for example line of mixing Hansa Yellow and Carbon Black will bend towards Olive/Sap green).

This is a 2D map of a 3D chart - the chart above does not specify the color brightness only chroma coordinates - so it is effectively a top view of the 3D chart that looks more like one below:

munsell.png

But it is very hard to use 3D maps in practice, that's why it is usually sliced into directional slices and represented as single layer charts, like this - try imagining one slice of the color map above on the blue side

munsell_blue5.jpg

And that, is actually a Munsell chart.  It has labels for all existing (and non existing too) colors, and it helps with mixing a lot - mixing colors on it is almost like traveling to a desired point on that map. (if only mixing was going through straight lines there it would be much easier :))

Now to give you answer for the question: Your color looks like if a cobalt teal would be a better starting point. Alternatively you can try using Phthalo Blue/Green pigments family mixed with white (this pigment family is very versatile and is extremely saturated)

If you point me at exactly which color you are looking for, I can help more - it looks a bit like a KLM blue to me.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

As an extra example of how having different pigments improves color matching, here is what would you can do if you are looking for better matches using Liquitex Basic Fluid for RAF MAP colors.

The initial set of 12 pigments gives a very good overall color range, but for some of wartime colors are missing important pigment shades.

If you just add #330 Raw Sienna to your palette you can achieve almost perfect Sky, Middle Stone and Red colors

RAF14 - Sky | GU 3.3

Without Raw Sienna

Primary Blue: 100 mg
        Burnt Sienna: 250 mg
        Light Green Permanent: 250 mg
        Titanium White: 3500 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 1.06

With Raw Sienna

Titanium White: 3350 mg
        Light Green Permanent: 100 mg
        Raw Sienna: 400 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 0.55

RAF21 - Middle Stone | GU 3.1

Without Raw Sienna
        Mars Black: 100 mg
        Primary Yellow: 2100 mg
        Cadmium Orange Hue: 1050 mg
        Titanium White: 900 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 1.71

With Raw Sienna

Primary Yellow: 900 mg
        Light Green Permanent: 500 mg
        Raw Sienna: 1600 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 0.58

RAF24 - Red | GU 2.7
Without Raw Sienna
        Primary Red: 450 mg
        Burnt Sienna: 1950 mg
        Cadmium Orange Hue: 1400 mg
        Titanium White: 150 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 1.60

With Raw Sienna

RAF24 - Red | GU 2.7
    Target: #8F4D40, Mixture: #8E4E42
        Primary Red: 1850 mg
        Cadmium Orange Hue: 400 mg
        Raw Sienna: 1550 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 0.57

• Like 4

Thanks for the reply @Casey and sorry for the delay had dinner guests, it’s not on any colour standard as it’s a Russian shade, the sample is what Akan gave, here’s it on the real thing, it’s paler than KLM blue (which I have) with a hint of green https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1CDGOYI_enGB598GB598&hl=en-GB&q=su+34+eggplant&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjX67Tp2puAAxVAgv0HHf1eABwQ0pQJegQICRAB&biw=414&bih=720&dpr=2

Edited by PhantomBigStu

2 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Thanks for the reply @Casey and sorry for the delay had dinner guests, it’s not on any colour standard as it’s a Russian shade, the sample is what Akan gave, here’s it on the real thing, it’s paler than KLM blue (which I have) with a hint of green https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1CDGOYI_enGB598GB598&hl=en-GB&q=su+34+eggplant&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjX67Tp2puAAxVAgv0HHf1eABwQ0pQJegQICRAB&biw=414&bih=720&dpr=2

Isn't eggplant the top color of this airplane, which is I think RAL7015 (or so some sources say)

No real clue about bottom but this blue you mention looks like a cheap version of cobalt teal replacement.

Here is how you can try to mix the range of those colors:

Replacing+Cobalt+Teal+with+Phthalo+Mix.j

You can modify the green/blue ratio by different phthalo blue/green ratios and brightness by titanium white. Those basic pigments are super strong, so be expected to add a very little of them to a lot of titanium white.

You can modify the red ratio by using Phthalo Blue Red Shade or Phthalo Green Yellow Shade - those 4 pigments give a great flexibility with blue sky like colors.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 2

Indeed the upper shade is eggplant (which I have a very good match for already), the blue doesn't have a name so you have to search the former. Thanks for the mix info, had a look at purchasing the pigments and its not cheap but I ad forgotten Hataka do the paint as part of paint set so maybe I should get myself that set instead. Thanks for the help again 

HTK-BS58-Ultimate-Su-34-Fullback-paint-s

9 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Thanks for the mix info, had a look at purchasing the pigments and its not cheap

Phthalos and carbon blacks are cheap (especially since you need somewhat around 1:20 of them in relation to white, or unbleached white), and I suspect they were used in real airplane, not the crazy expensive cobalt one :)

Now I wish I had full Hataka line in in my stash so I could find out what shade exactly they were thinking about...

Vallejo suggests: 71.089+71.001, 70.808 (which is basically FS35275), 70.838 (similar to FS24115) probably for cockpit and 71.109 - worth a try if you have them around...

Edited by Casey

On 30/06/2023 at 06:28, sapperastro said:

Hello all,

With the partial demise of Humbrol enamel paint, and the ridiculous hoops needed to source other enamel lines apart from Revell here, I have been casting around for acrylic paint lines that I find to be good for hand brushing. I have found success in the past, using Pollyscale and Model Master Acrylic, but these two are gone. I have tried;

Humbrol Acrylic; depends entirely on what version. The original line they released was ok. Later versions have been a lottery.

Revell Aqua; Pretty good stuff, and I could probably head over to it if the colour range was better.

Tamiya; doable but sometimes painful.

Hataka; not too bad. Requires ordering from Poland though.

Vallejo MC; fairly good, but very fragile. Breaks down easily with thinning too. Requires Italeri thinner* to get the best out of it.

Vallejo Air; Bit less fragile, but very thin.

Italeri acrylic; Basically Vallejo Model Color in a bigger amount, in different colours. Works well with Italeri thinners.

The best water based acrylic paint I have tried so far was on a whim; Golden So-Flat. This stuff is incredibly easy to paint on, is fairly tough, settles out very well, and is heavily pigmented to boot. It is also cheaper than model hobby paint by a fair margin. The draw back is that it has a very limited range of colours, and requires mixing for pretty much any sort of military application. It does have decent primary colours (unlike many hobby lines).

Anyone have anything to throw in the ring here?

* just a word on Italeri thinner. It is a thicker than water, milky substance that requires mixing itself before use. I am guessing it is some sort of extender, but I am not familiar with all the various mediums that water based acrylics use.

AK 3d generation paint does work well with a brush, it smoothens out evenly…

cheers, Jan

@Casey, and anyone else who is interested, it's been nearly two weeks since my last post in this thread, but I haven't had anywhere near as much time to spend on this as I would have liked

The jewellers scales arrived late on the Saturday afternoon along with some 5 ml dropper bottles similar to the one shown above and some 3 ml cups with caps.

Thus equipped I began mixing using Casey's formulas. Unlike @Yes_Man, I do have the standards Casey was trying to match, so I can compare the brushed out mixes with the target colours.

Because of the limited amount of time that I have been able to spend on this, I have only tried eight mixes, most from British Aviation Colours, with one each from the Eagle Editions Luftwaffe chart and one from the Archer USAAF book.

I was really careful with the formulas and tried to work to .0001gm. I found this surprisingly easy to do by dispensing a small quantity of each of the constituent pigments into a paint cup from which relatively small quantities could be added to the main mix that was made by dispensing the pigments from the main bottle. I seem to have a knack for being able to get the mix .0001gm either side of the figure that I want!

Casey, I have to say that I am greatly impressed with the accuracy of the formulas that I have tried so far.:clap:

By your own admission, they are not absolutely 'spot-on' and I am afraid that I don't have sufficient knowledge or the technical vocabulary to articulate how and to what extent any particular colour seems to be adrift to my eye.

That said, if I had bought a bottle of paint from an established paint manufacturer that claimed to match these colours, would I be happy with the colour that has resulted from your mixes? YES! ABSOLUTELY! :worthy:

The 4-5 ml that I mixed of each colour has been stored in the empty dropper bottles that I bought. This led to a couple of problems that I had not anticipated. 

1) Finding a sticky label that would adhere to the polythene bottle so that I know what colour it contains.

2) Obtaining some stainless steel balls to drop into the bottles so as to agitate the paint.

Finding a sticky label that will adhere to the polythene bottle is more difficult than it sounds, though it seems to help if the outside of the bottle is cleaned with methylated spirits first.

Stainless steel balls were much easier, and I was able to find a brand that specifically mentions this use in their sales blurb. After they arrived, I put a couple in a small plastic cup with some water and left them for a few days. It's now been a week now, and there is no sign of rust.

When I originally bought the paint, I had a specific project in mind, but because this would involve a new build, and I was keen to try the paint on an actual model, this idea has been shelved for the time being and I have tried painting two models that lie at the opposite ends of the spectrum of tasks that I will need this paint to be suitable for.

At the bottom end, there is the single engined single seat fighter in 1/72 scale, in this case a Me 109 that had stalled at the painting stage, having already been painted to some extent with Humbrol Enamel.

At the top end there is the  four engined bomber in 1/72 scale, in this case a 40 year old Halifax that whilst still basically sound, had fallen into disrepair and suffered from yellowed varnish.

I started on the 109 and quickly realised that the paint was drying too quickly and leaving brush marks where I was trying to execute a splinter pattern.There was therefore a hiatus while I had to wait for some of Liquitex's own retarder to arrive, but when it did, that seemed to solve the problem. Having obtained a satisfactory result on the 109, it was on to the Halifax.

This involved re-applying the same disruptive scheme to the upper surfaces, and I have to say that this went surprisingly well given my lack of experience in brushing acrylics. The retarder slows the drying of the paint sufficiently to allow it to be 'brushed', and thus spread out over the surface in a similar manner to an enamel.The finish is probably as good as I could have managed using the same size brushes and enamel paint.

Where I came a cropper was on changing the demarcation line between the upper and under surfaces. The old line was straight and could have been easily retained using masking tape. The new finish however calls for an undulating line, and I thought I would just 'wing it free hand'. This was a mistake.

Providing that a mistake can be recognised and rectified immediately, the paint can be wiped off with a damp tissue. Once it has dried however, like every other water based acrylic I have tried, it is impossible to sand. The surface ladders into a hole that cannot have its edges 'feathered', the hole just keeps on going and sometimes the Liquitex coating peels away in a skin. I was only able to stop the rot by cutting along a number of panel lines with a knife.

That said, it does seem to withstand a mild scuffing with 0000 grade steel wool, which will at least smooth out some of the surface irregularities that I seem to end up with in a brushed finish.

If necessary, it is possible to clean the Liquitex finish off entirely once it has dried by using methylated spirits. This seems to be possible on quite a selective basis so that if you need to clean one small section that is clearly bordered by panel lines, you don't need to immerse the whole model in some sort of nasty chemical that is primarily intended for cleaning ovens or some such, and it only takes a few minutes.

This is as far as I have been able to get at the moment. With a bit of luck, I will have time over this coming weekend to have another go at the Halifax and wil report back in due course if there is anything worth mentioning.

To sum up, at the moment I am really happy with the results I have obtained from Casey's mixes in terms of colour, and fairly happy with the paint itself. I will be persevering further with this.:like:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Paul Lucas said:

Finding a sticky label that would adhere to the polythene bottle so that I know what colour it contains.

I solved that issue by getting a DYMO label printer, one of those:

S0915390.jpg

Once it has dried however, like every other water based acrylic I have tried, it is impossible to sand

Sadly it is true without some form of good primer - from what you described it seems you did not use one. Acrylic paint without it turns into form of a latex glove that wraps around an object, and if you try to polish it, it'll rip like stretched rubber. With good primer (matt works better) it has enough surface to 'latch on' and the problem is minimized. It is still not a paint that would etch into a surface. I use Stynylrez - it's the best water acrylic primer I tried hands down.

Casey, I have to say that I am greatly impressed with the accuracy of the formulas that I have tried so far.:clap:

By your own admission, they are not absolutely 'spot-on' and I am afraid that I don't have sufficient knowledge or the technical vocabulary to articulate how and to what extent any particular colour seems to be adrift to my eye.

That said, if I had bought a bottle of paint from an established paint manufacturer that claimed to match these colours, would I be happy with the colour that has resulted from your mixes? YES! ABSOLUTELY! :worthy:

I am very happy to hear that! The basic 12 pigments set has limitations of what can be achieved, but it is already at least as good as most of vendors I have tried. More accurate recipes need extended range of their paints, as I wrote in some of the post above about what addition of Sienna gives to the military colors range. Adding even more historic pigments like Cadmium Yellows, Ultramarine Blue, Ivory Black (a large particle carbon black), Zinc White (called Transparent Mixing White by Liquitex) and Naphthol Crimson help a lot with for example RAF colors. Here is an example RAF MAP list that uses more pigments selection but delivers more accurate matches:

Spoiler

RAF01 - Light Earth | GU 4.0
    Target: #AB8D68, Mixture: #AA8D68
        Burnt Sienna: 600 mg
        Cadmium Orange Hue: 250 mg
        Cadmium Yellow Deep Hue: 800 mg
        Titanium White: 2300 mg
        Mars Black: 150 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 0.37
RAF02 - Dark Earth | GU 3.3
    Target: #79654E, Mixture: #79654E
        Raw Sienna: 3000 mg
        Titanium White: 700 mg
        Mars Black: 400 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 0.35
RAF03 - Light Green | GU 2.9
    Target: #666A58, Mixture: #666958
        Burnt Sienna: 100 mg
        Cadmium Yellow Deep Hue: 1450 mg
        Titanium White: 1550 mg
        Mars Black: 1000 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 0.26
RAF04 - Dark Green | GU 2.6
    Target: #57594D, Mixture: #57594E
        Light Green Permanent: 1200 mg
        Raw Sienna: 1400 mg
        Titanium White: 550 mg
        Mars Black: 850 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 0.28
RAF05 - Extra Dark Sea Green | GU 2.9
    Target: #54625A, Mixture: #54625A
        Phthalocyanine Green: 650 mg
        Raw Sienna: 550 mg
        Cadmium Yellow Deep Hue: 500 mg
        Titanium White: 1200 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 0.32
RAF06 - Grey Green | GU 3.2
    Target: #758A70, Mixture: #768A70
        Phthalocyanine Green: 400 mg
        Raw Sienna: 350 mg
        Cadmium Yellow Deep Hue: 600 mg
        Titanium White: 2200 mg
        Mars Black: 350 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 0.34
RAF07 - Medium Sea Grey | GU 3.0
    Target: #889199, Mixture: #879198
        Raw Sienna: 150 mg
        Ultramarine Blue: 200 mg
        Titanium White: 3150 mg
        Mars Black: 450 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 0.24
RAF08 - Dark Sea Grey | GU 3.5
    Target: #6C7179, Mixture: #6C7178
        Ivory Black: 1800 mg
        Titanium White: 1650 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 0.38
RAF09 - Extra Dark Sea Grey | GU 4.4
    Target: #5E636B, Mixture: #5E636A
        Primary Blue: 200 mg
        Ivory Black: 2650 mg
        Naphthol Crimson: 250 mg
        Titanium White: 800 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 0.25
RAF10 - Ocean Grey | GU 5.5
    Target: #6B7478, Mixture: #6B7478
        Primary Blue: 300 mg
        Burnt Umber: 900 mg
        Titanium White: 2250 mg
        Mars Black: 650 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 0.22
RAF11 - Light Slate Grey | GU 3.0
    Target: #697368, Mixture: #687368
        Primary Blue: 250 mg
        Phthalocyanine Green: 250 mg
        Raw Sienna: 1300 mg
        Titanium White: 1600 mg
        Mars Black: 500 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 0.33
RAF12 - Dark Slate Grey | GU 4.2
    Target: #696B62, Mixture: #686A62
        Raw Sienna: 700 mg
        Cadmium Yellow Deep Hue: 450 mg
        Titanium White: 1750 mg
        Mars Black: 1050 mg
   100x100100x100
RAF13 - Sky Grey | GU 3.0
    Target: #A6AAAA, Mixture: #A7AAA9
        Raw Sienna: 100 mg
        Raw Umber: 100 mg
        Titanium White: 3550 mg
        Mars Black: 200 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 0.80
RAF14 - Sky | GU 3.3
    Target: #B4BCA3, Mixture: #B4BBA1
        Light Green Permanent: 300 mg
        Raw Sienna: 150 mg
        Ivory Black: 400 mg
        Titanium White: 3100 mg
   100x100100x100
RAF15 - Deep Sky | GU 4.8
    Target: #3B5479, Mixture: #3A557A
        Primary Blue: 2550 mg
        Dioxazine Purple: 450 mg
        Titanium White: 650 mg
        Mars Black: 250 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 0.24
RAF16 - Sky Blue | GU 4.4
    Target: #B6C3C8, Mixture: #B6C3C5
        Alizarin Crimson Hue Permanent: 150 mg
        Raw Sienna: 100 mg
        Titanium White: 3750 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 0.84
RAF17 - Azure Blue | GU 3.3
    Target: #889EC7, Mixture: #899EC7
        Primary Blue: 250 mg
        Dioxazine Purple: 250 mg
        Ivory Black: 300 mg
        Titanium White: 3150 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 0.33
RAF18 - Light Mediterranean Blue | GU 3.2
    Target: #607390, Mixture: #617490
        Primary Blue: 400 mg
        Ultramarine Blue: 800 mg
        Naphthol Crimson: 500 mg
        Titanium White: 1850 mg
        Mars Black: 300 mg
   100x100100x100
RAF19 - Dark Mediterranean Blue | GU 2.7
    Target: #445574, Mixture: #445574
        Primary Blue: 1900 mg
        Dioxazine Purple: 150 mg
        Naphthol Crimson: 1200 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 0.17
RAF20 - P.R.U. Blue | GU 2.9
    Target: #546F7A, Mixture: #546F7A
        Primary Blue: 1150 mg
        Burnt Sienna: 450 mg
        Alizarin Crimson Hue Permanent: 1000 mg
        Titanium White: 1350 mg
   100x100100x100
RAF21 - Middle Stone | GU 3.1
    Target: #A8884D, Mixture: #A5874C
        Cadmium Yellow Deep Hue: 1100 mg
        Cadmium Yellow Light Hue: 300 mg
        Titanium White: 1000 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 0.56
RAF22 - Night | GU 2.2
    Target: #3F3E3F, Mixture: #3F3F40
        Burnt Umber: 1250 mg
        Titanium White: 250 mg
        Mars Black: 2400 mg
   100x100100x100
RAF23 - Yellow | GU 4.6
    Target: #E9A530, Mixture: #EAA532
        Raw Sienna: 200 mg
        Cadmium Yellow Deep Hue: 1650 mg
        Transparent Mixing White: 2050 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 0.77
RAF24 - Red | GU 2.7
    Target: #8F4D40, Mixture: #8F4D41
        Primary Red: 1500 mg
        Cadmium Orange Hue: 750 mg
        Ivory Black: 200 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 0.39
RAF25 - Blue | GU 2.4
    Target: #3F495B, Mixture: #3E495B
        Primary Blue: 550 mg
        Dioxazine Purple: 100 mg
        Ultramarine Blue: 1900 mg
        Transparent Mixing White: 850 mg
        Titanium White: 100 mg
        Mars Black: 550 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 0.23
RAF27 - Matt Red | GU 2.8
    Target: #A7383C, Mixture: #A8363D
        Primary Red: 1900 mg
        Raw Sienna: 250 mg
        Naphthol Crimson: 1750 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 1.23
RAF28 - Matt Blue | GU 5.4
    Target: #43527B, Mixture: #43527A
        Primary Blue: 1800 mg
        Dioxazine Purple: 1000 mg
        Mars Black: 300 mg
   100x100100x100

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 7/19/2023 at 2:39 PM, PhantomBigStu said:

mixing.jpg 

Coming back to this I’ve discovered by chance there’s a citadel paint that’s not that far off, and by extension from a review of army painter paints that Troglodyte blue is a close match to the citadel and Voidshiled blue is a slighter lighter version. Have you analysed these by chance? Would just buy them both but having purchased a load of paint unnecessary paint recently I like to be surer

Edited by PhantomBigStu

15 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Have you analysed these by chance?

Yes. I'll post their color coordinates later this evening (for me).

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Troglodyte blue is a close match to the citadel and Voidshiled blue is a slighter lighter version.

Here you go:

2ba71b8bcc1fa886f57dbca7adfaa6e0.png

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Void looks promising. I shall have a proper look come morning, cheers 

Indeed looks very good, will definitely pick it up later, Troglydte Blue also looks a good base for the medium SU-34 Russian turquoise with some dark green added though the real colour looks closer than Akan's digtal swatch's EDIT: got it, as Casey magic says it’s close to what akan chip is, though tbh I will be adding some white in addition to slight touch of green before applying it to the model 

SU-34-Colours.jpg

Refuelling-a-Sukhoi-Su-34-cropped.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu

22 hours ago, Paul Lucas said:

Once it has dried however, like every other water based acrylic I have tried, it is impossible to sand. The surface ladders into a hole that cannot have its edges 'feathered', the hole just keeps on going and sometimes the Liquitex coating peels away in a skin. I was only able to stop the rot by cutting along a number of panel lines with a knife.

Hmm, they are latex acrylic, I left a some in pallete, and it became a rubbery lump.   As @Casey has poiinted out,  while they touch dry very quickly, unlike enamels, thay do take longer to 'cure'

You may find they are sandable after a few days.   But, they don't really stick to the surface, just form a skin around it.   

I have found theat Tamiya acrylic have slightly more 'bite' and work well as a primer for Vallejo.   

22 hours ago, Paul Lucas said:

Finding a sticky label that will adhere to the polythene bottle is more difficult than it sounds, though it seems to help if the outside of the bottle is cleaned with methylated spirits first.

I found plain sticky back white paer worked fine,   I just some sold in tesco,  they are about 10 x 3 cm, I just cut them down, if you get larger ones you can wrap them around the botle onto themselves as well.

HTH

• Thanks 1

@Casey and @Troy Smith, I didn't use a primer on either of these two models because they were already painted in Humbrol Enamel. I left both models for a couple of days before rubbing at the paint and I was not surprised by what happened. The finish might well become more robust over a longer period of time, and I will see.

The next test will involve applying some Liquitex over Halfords Plastic Primer, as that has been my 'go to' primer for over 20 years. Part of the paint mule has been stripped back to bare plastic and sprayed with the primer straight from the can. I am currently waiting for it to dry. I will report back in due course.

I don't expect to use the Stynylrez primer as I understand that it has to be applied by airbrush and one of the stated objectives here is to find a brushable acrylic finish. Yes, I know I am using a Halfords spray can primer, but that doesn't involve using several hundred pounds worth of spraying equipment!

With regard to the labels, I had some that worked a treat, but when I went back to the same place to get some more, I found that they were discontinued some time ago. I bought the closest type that they currently stock, but these are not so sticky. I have just tried applying two to the same bottle in such a way as to overlap at both ends. Why didn't I think of that? :hmmm:

Following the publication of the revised MAP colour formulas above, I have ordered the colours that I do not already have to give the new formulas a go. They are supposed to be here tomorrow. :waiting: Again . . .

I see that neither formula for Night contains Ultramarine Blue. Night was made up from Carbon Black and Ultramarine Blue. Can you get a good match just using these two colours Casey?

While I'm on the subject, have you started on the Merrick Luftwaffe colours yet? (Sleep is optional.) :P

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul Lucas said:

I see that neither formula for Night contains Ultramarine Blue. Night was made up from Carbon Black and Ultramarine Blue. Can you get a good match just using these two colours Casey?

I have hard time with that, and I suspect Night did not contain Ultramarine Blue at all, or the color in the MAP book is not correct.

Here is what my spectrophotometer sees:

68b4872f95d82b660893977d570ba9f6.png

Night is, well, Night sample from the book (blue curve)

GFA0008 is 100% Carbon Black (red curve)

GFA0220 is 80% Ultramarine Blue and 20% Carbon Black (green curve)

Ultramarine blue is very weak color, it barely makes a dent on the black, so you need a lot to make significant difference, but even then the spectral curve does not tend to match the Night color. Best explanation I would have is that Night in this book sample seems to be just a version of Carbon Black with larger particles, or it was a mixture with Ultramarine Blue which underwent the Ultramarine Blue disease.

It is a well known problem with Ultramarine Blue which turns 'gray' in certain situations, which is an effect of reaction between Ultramarine and media or even other pigments like Zinc White. Modern stable ultramarine blue pigments you get nowadays are ultramarine blue coated with silica (literally quartz).  @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies might be interested in this fact in context of his PB10 color reproduction.

You can read some more about this phenomenon here - https://www.chemistryworld.com/news/luxury-blue-paint-pigment-catalyses-its-own-disease/4011853.article or here - https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0141391017302343

Back on the topic: here is the data for the Night mixture I've provided before. It is a raw math calculation and the data is scaled on Y axis so it shows the curve shapes bit better. The mixture should be a good match for the paint sample, especially if you match the gloss level (2.2 GU is quite flat)

122e3e850edc35560fdd8efea759ee23.png

5 hours ago, Paul Lucas said:

While I'm on the subject, have you started on the Merrick Luftwaffe colours yet? (Sleep is optional.) :P

I'll work on them next then since you are interested. And I heard from reputable sources that sleep is a fun daily exercise recommended by medical professionals to everyone!

Sorry for a bit technical post, I tend to wander off that way when I am not being stopped...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

@Casey, please don't feel obliged to take on another pile of work on my account. Yes, I am interested, but you have already given me so much to do with the wartime MAP colours, it is going to take me a while to go through them.

It might make more sense to fill in some of the gaps in the wartime RAF colours that are not included in the British Aviation Colours book which some people would find useful.

Those that immediately come to mind are BS 381C No. 101 Sky Blue, No.216 Eau-de-Nil and No. 221 Brilliant Green. There are others such as the light cockpit green that looked something like FS 24524 that we have discussed previously as well as the more exotic colours such as PRU Pink.

I realise that you might not have a sample of colours such as Nivo and PRU Pink to hand. Give me a few days to think about it, and there might be a way around that, though the end results might not be as accurate as those you have come up with so far. 

It's actually time for bed here now, so I'm going to go and try to get some sleep myself. It's going to be difficult though because I'm so excited! It's the end of July and there are only four sleeps left until Christmas . . .:frantic:

6 hours ago, Paul Lucas said:

please don't feel obliged to take on another pile of work on my account.

Too late :)

Here are recipes for inserts from this book - link to Scalemates which describes it.

102687-24719-47-pristine.jpg

https://www.scalemates.com/books/luftwaffe-camouflage-and-markings-1933-1945-volume-1-classic-colours-luftwaffe-camouflage-and-markings-vol1-k-a-merrick-juergen-kiroff--102687

This book contains 3 inserts. Those colors are not identical, even if they are having same designations - it is a give great overview of pre-war and early war colors throrough history, and I consider those colors to be the most reputable source of the RLM paints range, especially the early years. (*cough* RLM83 *cough*)

Color matching was not done using RGB values but to the real spectrophotometer readouts. All given RGB values are back-calculated from spectral data using simulated D65 light source and 10 deg standard observer. All paint and target measurements were made on spectrophotometer with d8/SCI integrating sphere geometry.

12 Basic Liquitex Fluid paints version, paints used: "Titanium White", "Mars Black", "Primary Yellow", "Primary Blue", "Primary Red", "Burnt Sienna", "Burnt Umber", "Phthalocyanine Green", "Cadmium Orange Hue", "Alizarin Crimson Hue Permanent", "Dioxazine Purple", "Light Green Permanent"

(less accurate but you need only 12 paints. Some recipes might need as much as 6 components making it bit harder to achieve those colors, some colors miss important pigments, like yellow)

Spoiler

Insert 1

02 RLM-grau | GU 13.6
    Target: #848373, Mixture: #838273
        Burnt Sienna: 850 mg
        Cadmium Orange Hue: 100 mg
        Light Green Permanent: 450 mg
        Titanium White: 2150 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 0.60
11 grau | GU 6.2
    Target: #6B6E65, Mixture: #6C6E65
        Burnt Sienna: 700 mg
        Light Green Permanent: 850 mg
        Titanium White: 1650 mg
        Mars Black: 700 mg
   100x100100x100
04 gelb | GU 9.2
    Target: #EFB52C, Mixture: #FFB100
        Primary Yellow: 3850 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 3.53
21 weiß | GU 12.6
    Target: #E6E4D5, Mixture: #E4D8D1
        Burnt Umber: 100 mg
        Titanium White: 4050 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 3.72
22 schwarz | GU 3.3
    Target: #3F3F3F, Mixture: #3F3F40
        Mars Black: 2450 mg
        Primary Yellow: 100 mg
        Burnt Umber: 1100 mg
        Titanium White: 250 mg
   100x100100x100
23 rot | GU 5.6
    Target: #C8363D, Mixture: #C6373D
        Primary Yellow: 150 mg
        Primary Red: 2700 mg
        Cadmium Orange Hue: 1100 mg
   100x100100x100
24 dunkelblau | GU 11.5
    Target: #4F5D7D, Mixture: #4E5D7E
        Primary Blue: 1100 mg
        Dioxazine Purple: 850 mg
        Titanium White: 1400 mg
        Mars Black: 550 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 0.18
25 hellgrün | GU 12.1
    Target: #4C7B6C, Mixture: #4D7B6B
        Burnt Sienna: 800 mg
        Phthalocyanine Green: 1800 mg
   100x100100x100
26 braun | GU 11.9
    Target: #945B4A, Mixture: #935B49
        Primary Yellow: 450 mg
        Burnt Sienna: 2450 mg
        Burnt Umber: 200 mg
        Alizarin Crimson Hue Permanent: 350 mg
   100x100100x100
27 gelb | GU 2.9
    Target: #E9BE08, Mixture: #FCD200
        Primary Yellow: 4100 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 3.64
28 weinrot | GU 2.4
    Target: #85433A, Mixture: #84453C
        Cadmium Orange Hue: 2850 mg
        Alizarin Crimson Hue Permanent: 850 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 1.12
41 grau | GU 9.1
    Target: #595B5D, Mixture: #595B5D
        Primary Blue: 150 mg
        Titanium White: 1550 mg
        Mars Black: 1500 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 0.19
42 grau | GU 9.9
    Target: #63686C, Mixture: #62686C
        Burnt Sienna: 500 mg
        Titanium White: 2100 mg
        Mars Black: 1250 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 0.27
61 dunkelbraun | GU 4.5
    Target: #564E4E, Mixture: #554E4E
        Mars Black: 600 mg
        Burnt Sienna: 1050 mg
        Alizarin Crimson Hue Permanent: 1600 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 0.48
62 grün | GU 8.8
    Target: #656955, Mixture: #646854
        Burnt Sienna: 1300 mg
        Light Green Permanent: 1450 mg
        Titanium White: 750 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 0.73
63 hellgrau | GU 10.6
    Target: #7F8475, Mixture: #7E8375
        Light Green Permanent: 400 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 0.81
64 dunkelgrün | GU 6.1
    Target: #5C5A4D, Mixture: #5C594D
        Burnt Sienna: 1300 mg
        Light Green Permanent: 1650 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 0.36
65 hellblau | GU 6.2
    Target: #91AFBE, Mixture: #8FB0BF
        Titanium White: 3550 mg
   100x100100x100
66 schwarzgrau | GU 5.1
    Target: #525556, Mixture: #515456
        Burnt Sienna: 600 mg
        Titanium White: 1150 mg
        Mars Black: 1750 mg
   100x100100x100
67 weiß | GU 11.0
    Target: #C9CBC4, Mixture: #CECEBD
        Primary Red: 150 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 2.86
68 schwarzgrün | GU 8.0
    Target: #4F5C56, Mixture: #4E5C57
        Primary Blue: 1200 mg
        Burnt Sienna: 1600 mg
        Phthalocyanine Green: 300 mg
        Mars Black: 100 mg
   100x100100x100
69 dunkelgrün | GU 10.1
    Target: #55635E, Mixture: #55625E
        Primary Blue: 550 mg
        Burnt Sienna: 650 mg
        Light Green Permanent: 950 mg
        Titanium White: 1200 mg
        Mars Black: 750 mg
   100x100100x100

Insert 2

02 RLM-grau | GU 10.3
    Target: #858372, Mixture: #848371
        Burnt Sienna: 1200 mg
        Light Green Permanent: 200 mg
        Titanium White: 2100 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 0.61
04 gelb | GU 7.1
    Target: #EEB62A, Mixture: #FFB100
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 3.39
21 weiß | GU 22.6
    Target: #E6E2D4, Mixture: #E4D8D1
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 2.90
22 schwarz | GU 14.7
    Target: #3F4041, Mixture: #3F4041
        Mars Black: 2450 mg
        Primary Yellow: 150 mg
        Burnt Umber: 1000 mg
        Titanium White: 300 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 0.09
23 rot | GU 5.8
    Target: #C7373E, Mixture: #C5383C
        Primary Yellow: 450 mg
        Primary Red: 2900 mg
        Cadmium Orange Hue: 550 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 0.65
24 dunkelblau | GU 28.4
    Target: #4E5D7D, Mixture: #4B5D7B
        Primary Blue: 1500 mg
        Primary Red: 1100 mg
        Burnt Sienna: 250 mg
        Dioxazine Purple: 300 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 1.55
25 hellgrün | GU 14.1
    Target: #4C7C6C, Mixture: #4A7B6A
        Burnt Sienna: 400 mg
        Phthalocyanine Green: 1450 mg
        Light Green Permanent: 700 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 0.59
26 braun | GU 14.1
    Target: #955B49, Mixture: #965A49
        Primary Yellow: 350 mg
        Burnt Sienna: 2700 mg
        Alizarin Crimson Hue Permanent: 200 mg
   100x100100x100
27 gelb | GU 7.9 - (approximate color)
    Target: #EBC018, Mixture: #FCD200
        Primary Yellow: 4100 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 4.03
28 weinrot | GU 14.6
    Target: #503E42, Mixture: #4E3D3F
        Alizarin Crimson Hue Permanent: 3850 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 1.24
61 dunkelbraun | GU 8.6
    Target: #564E4E, Mixture: #554E4E
        Primary Red: 750 mg
        Burnt Sienna: 1350 mg
        Mars Black: 1150 mg
   100x100100x100
62 grün | GU 10.0
    Target: #616452, Mixture: #616451
        Burnt Sienna: 1400 mg
        Alizarin Crimson Hue Permanent: 100 mg
        Light Green Permanent: 1500 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 0.43
63 hellgrau | GU 9.3
    Target: #767B71, Mixture: #767A70
        Light Green Permanent: 800 mg
        Mars Black: 600 mg
   100x100100x100
65 hellblau | GU 9.8
    Target: #8DABB9, Mixture: #8CACBA
        Primary Red: 100 mg
        Phthalocyanine Green: 100 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 0.14
66 schwarzgrau | GU 5.5
    Target: #515254, Mixture: #515255
        Burnt Sienna: 700 mg
        Titanium White: 1150 mg
        Mars Black: 1900 mg
   100x100100x100
70 schwarzgrün | GU 7.3
    Target: #4B4F4D, Mixture: #4B4F4D
        Primary Blue: 450 mg
        Burnt Sienna: 1000 mg
   100x100100x100
71 dunkelgrün | GU 9.3
    Target: #53534D, Mixture: #53534D
        Mars Black: 1100 mg
        Primary Yellow: 600 mg
        Burnt Umber: 1200 mg
        Titanium White: 750 mg
   100x100100x100
72 grün | GU 10.5
    Target: #454647, Mixture: #454647
        Burnt Sienna: 750 mg
        Light Green Permanent: 750 mg
        Titanium White: 450 mg
        Mars Black: 1950 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 0.30
73 grün | GU 9.0
    Target: #474E4C, Mixture: #474E4C
        Primary Blue: 600 mg
        Light Green Permanent: 1250 mg
        Mars Black: 900 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 0.21

Insert 3

02 RLM-grau | GU 14.8
    Target: #828172, Mixture: #818071
        Burnt Sienna: 1050 mg
        Light Green Permanent: 300 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 0.56
04 gelb | GU 8.4
    Target: #F1B42B, Mixture: #FFB100
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 3.32
21 weiß | GU 22.0
    Target: #E9E4D8, Mixture: #E4D8D1
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 2.51
22 schwarz | GU 8.0
    Target: #404041, Mixture: #3F4040
        Burnt Umber: 1650 mg
        Phthalocyanine Green: 450 mg
        Titanium White: 200 mg
        Mars Black: 1600 mg
   100x100100x100
23 rot | GU 16.3
    Target: #C63940, Mixture: #C63C42
        Primary Yellow: 600 mg
        Primary Red: 3350 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 0.85
24 dunkelblau | GU 13.8
    Target: #4F5D7C, Mixture: #4F5D7C
        Primary Blue: 1150 mg
        Burnt Umber: 700 mg
        Dioxazine Purple: 950 mg
        Titanium White: 1100 mg
   100x100100x100
25 hellgrün | GU 18.8
    Target: #4C7B6B, Mixture: #4D7A6A
        Burnt Sienna: 800 mg
        Phthalocyanine Green: 1800 mg
        Titanium White: 1300 mg
   100x100100x100
26 braun | GU 10.3
    Target: #945B4A, Mixture: #945B4A
        Primary Yellow: 350 mg
        Burnt Sienna: 2550 mg
        Burnt Umber: 150 mg
        Alizarin Crimson Hue Permanent: 250 mg
   100x100100x100
27 gelb | GU 10.4
    Target: #F4C221, Mixture: #FFC200
        Primary Yellow: 3250 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 2.11
28 weinrot | GU 5.5
    Target: #4E3D40, Mixture: #4E3D40
        Phthalocyanine Green: 150 mg
        Alizarin Crimson Hue Permanent: 3750 mg
   100x100100x100
65 hellblau | GU 15.1
    Target: #8FADBD, Mixture: #8FADBB
        Burnt Umber: 200 mg
        Titanium White: 3300 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 0.42
66 schwarzgrau | GU 7.2
    Target: #515356, Mixture: #505355
        Primary Red: 350 mg
        Cadmium Orange Hue: 450 mg
        Mars Black: 1500 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 0.65
70 schwarzgrün | GU 8.2
    Target: #4B4F4D, Mixture: #4A4E4D
        Titanium White: 600 mg
        Mars Black: 1300 mg
   100x100100x100
71 dunkelgrün | GU 6.5
    Target: #52534C, Mixture: #53524C
        Burnt Umber: 1000 mg
        Alizarin Crimson Hue Permanent: 750 mg
        Light Green Permanent: 1650 mg
        Titanium White: 350 mg
        Mars Black: 350 mg
   100x100100x100
72 grün | GU 6.9
    Target: #444647, Mixture: #444647
        Burnt Sienna: 550 mg
        Light Green Permanent: 850 mg
        Mars Black: 2000 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 0.09
73 grün | GU 10.4
    Target: #464E4C, Mixture: #474F4C
        Primary Blue: 1750 mg
        Burnt Sienna: 1800 mg
        Titanium White: 350 mg
   100x100100x100
74 | GU 2.3
    Target: #595B5A, Mixture: #585B5A
        Titanium White: 1250 mg
        Mars Black: 1350 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 0.60
75 | GU 6.1
    Target: #686A6F, Mixture: #676A6F
        Primary Red: 500 mg
        Light Green Permanent: 450 mg
        Titanium White: 1850 mg
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 0.75
76 | GU 11.4
    Target: #98ACB1, Mixture: #98ACB1
   100x100100x100

Extended range of Basic Liquitex Fluid addition to 12 paints from basic set above I used the additional pigments - "Raw Sienna" "Cadmium Yellow Deep Hue" "Ultramarine Blue" "Raw Umber" "Transparent Mixing White" "Ivory Black" "Cadmium Yellow Light Hue" "Naphthol Crimson"

(much more accurate but you need total 20 paints. Those matches are either better because of those missing pigments, simpler or less metameric)

Spoiler

Insert 1

02 RLM-grau | GU 13.6
    Target: #848373, Mixture: #848373
        Raw Sienna: 950 mg
   100x100100x100
11 grau | GU 6.2
    Target: #6B6E65, Mixture: #6C6F65