Another Hetzer? Yep, but a bit different

Mjwomack

After some major setbacks in the GB sector recently, I need a simple OOB mojo restorer. But the self-harmer in me, can't accept my limitations so...

Yep it's an OOB Hetzer but from a manufacturer I know nothing about (Rubicon) in a scale 1/56 or 28mm which I've never worked in but apparently is very popular with wargamers.

PXL-20221208-073252316.jpg 

With wargamers in mind, they're (allegedly) quick and easy to build , with a low parts count, which should be ideal

PXL-20230627-151619692.jpg 

The grey has come out a lot bluer than it really is, but what I do notice is that the parts count isn't that low. 2 sets of tracks, different mantles, idler wheels and barrel if you want early, mid or late version or the limited production flamethrower variant.  And different sets of tracks for the different variants. Talking of track, not sure you like rubber bands but don't want to be fiddling around with individual links? How about a single moulding? Following the @Bobby No Mac approved standard the alcohol based sizing guide is a wine cork this time out!

So, plenty of choice for what is basically a wargaming token.

The disappointment is in the decals and instructions department

PXL-20230627-151502877.jpg 

I appreciate that with complete runs of digits for number, and various size crosses and some Czech marking as well, there's no shortage in wither variant or colour scheme but the weakling is that instructions. These do a good enough job of showing what goes where and the variants but not the combinations. And the painting guide is can be hyped up to minimal at best! Hence it's going to be out of the box! 

Mojo, prepare to be resuscitated

• Like 10

17 minutes ago, sampanzer said:

Thats a great little kit, lots of options!!

It certainly has, almost bewildering! I suspect that with a little thought you could build every variant 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, IanC said:

Looks interesting - I'm struggling to see the difference between the two wheel/track sets but at least no fiddly individual links!

I'll try and remember to do a close up of them 

1 hour ago, IanC said:

Looks interesting - I'm struggling to see the difference between the two wheel/track sets but at least no fiddly individual links!

On early wheels screw-bolts cost more often.

There not very difficult.
Main to choose it what type you like - early/ middle/ late. Under him to pick up details.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IanC said:

Here then are what Rubicon all the 'wheel choices' stage of the instructions

PXL-20230628-194107029.jpg 

Being appropriately juvenile they missed the pun of Real Choices! 

the early are top left (except I've just realised I obscured them with the instructions🤪, so the mid production are visible on the left,on the right are the late and flammpanzer.

@MARADER knows this already because as he says, it's all about the bolts.

As I'm on the variants covered (all of them!)

PXL-20230628-181936394.jpg 

And

PXL-20230628-181922524.jpg 

I forgot to mention about the variant tow points and exhaust. All in all, its a lot of kit for 20 squigglies min my book.

• Like 6

On 6/28/2023 at 9:03 PM, Mjwomack said:

All in all, its a lot of kit for 20 squigglies min my book.

Yes indeed. Now if it were me I’d be planning to use up all those spare sets of tracks and running gear. Maybe a bergepanzer or another Hetzer….

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Ned said:

What a nice looking little kit. Far too good for wargamers.

Rather! I also helped myself to nice looking King Tiger with full interior; not sure why wargamers need full interior so a bit over-specced in my mind, but it was a bargain for me!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I've started, and hopefully will finish...

PXL-20230807-103616371.jpg 

It's a curious affair! Very counter-intuited how the parts of the wheels are moulded with the tracks, and the suspension is sparse in detail. The worst part by far though are the instructions, I imagine boardgamers are used to strange instructions and rules! Greatest time so far has being understanding the instructions for the different variants (I think Im building a mid-production one) and things like see notes on left when they're on the right!

After that though it is in lovely hard plastic to work with and virtual shake and bake! Almost scared at the rate of progress.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

While waiting for paint, I couldn't resist pushing some parts together

PXL-20230821-184114993.jpg

I built plenty of 38(t) and variants as a teenager but I've not done one since and had forgotten just how cute a killing machine can be. First love rekindled or something smoochy!

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Charging along now...

PXL-20230920-202905302.jpg 

Final paint details and I'll be in the gallery for Sunday's deadline, Oh wait, there's an extension, in that case I could well. be in the gallery before deadline day which will be a novel experience for me! I'm sure all the flecks of contrasting paint along with some weathering will slow me down enough to make use of at least some of the extension🤭

I know I bang on about what great value these Rubicon kits are, but here's all the spare parts leftover for doing the other variants (as far as I can tell all the other variants)

PXL-20230920-203045494.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Done and dusted! That is to say a light spray of Railmatch paints grime to give a light dusting rather than anything over the top.

With the photos in the FRI gallery, what's left to say?

An enjoyable little kit of an old favourite of mine. Pretty much shake and bake, let down only by the instructions but they can be figured out eventually! A very robust model, as befits a wargaming scale. Still not sure about the tracks etc. Suspect the trade off of having an soldi model for handling is in the tracks. Or maybe it's just me,, anyhow ready for the Honey/ Stuart GB next year for another attempt at tracks other than my preference for railway tracks.

And of course, massive, massive thanks for everyone who's stopped by and to @Marklo for hosting

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1