The Fastest Hunk of Junk in the Galaxy

A few of the more eagle-eyed viewers may have noticed something going on in the backround of my recent update in the GeeBee build thread

Way back in September I said in the chat thread, with tongue firmly embedded in cheek 

@Col. suggested there was a way to cure that

He also confirmed that Items from popular films, books, and similar are eligible so long as a bit of background is provided in the thread 

So with the clarification that ficticious (thanks @arfa1983 for putting me straight on my wording) record breakers from a galaxy far, far away are allowed, here is "the ship that made the Kessel run in less than twelve parsecs!"

2022-12-27-16-40-51.jpg

2022-12-27-16-43-12.jpg

Extensive research :computer: (google: kessel run in twelve parsecs) led me this Wookipedia entry (it was top of the list)

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Kessel_Run/Legends

From which we learn that "The Kessel Run was one of the most heavily used smuggling routes in the Galactic Empire.Han Solo claimed that his Millennium Falcon "made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs". A parsec is a unit of distance, not time. Solo was not referring directly to his ship's speed when he made this claim. Instead, he was referring to the shorter route he was able to travel by skirting the nearby Maw black hole cluster, thus making the run in under the standard distance. By moving closer to the black holes, Solo managed to cut the distance down to about 11.5

Note that this record has not been verified by Guinness :drink: and is therefore unofficial

More soon(ish)

/P

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

There's a review of this kit here

It contains all of 20 parts and is snap-together. although there are bits which will benefit from some glue

this is yesterday's work

Step 1, assemble bits of the lower half

2022-12-27-16-55-50.jpg

Step 2 , cockpit and glazing

2022-12-27-16-59-39.jpg

Step 3, airlocks and more side pieces

2022-12-27-17-08-29.jpg

Step 4, remaining side pieces

2022-12-27-17-15-25.jpg

Step 5, stand

2022-12-27-17-15-35.jpg

Step 6, glazing on the top half

2022-12-27-17-17-25.jpg

Step 7, join both halves

2022-12-27-17-21-49.jpg

Step 8, finished model on stand

2022-12-27-17-22-27.jpg

So, I built it. Took less than 30 minutes. Now to pull it apart a bit and paint

More soon(ish)

/P

Edited by psdavidson
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Wether verified or not I believe Solo did it. Welcome to the build with the Falcon. 

Thanks! I think his original comment was a bit of boasting but the Falcon certaily proved it's worth

Final post for today brings me up to date

Parts primed with rattlecan grey and Halfords black enamel for the stand and cockpit

2022-12-28-10-53-11.jpg

And then sprayed with Tamiya sky grey acrylic

2022-12-28-16-19-59.jpg

The engine exhaust was sprayed with Tamiya clear blue

Detail painting should start tomorrow

More soon(ish)

/P

• Like 5

14 hours ago, arfa1983 said:

she's not the big one!

Fortunately not. Indeed, I wouldn't have time for that one 

Started on the remaining paintwork (been busy with other kits as well)

2022-12-29-16-36-17.jpg

Glazing was hand painted as I didn't fancy trying to get the decals to conform

I've done worse
2022-12-29-16-37-12.jpg

More soon(ish)

/P

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Col. said:

ideal for a quick project towards the end of our GB.

Thanks Col

I wasn't sure if I should start it, but it was sitting there in the pile of possible future builds staring at me

It is indeed a nice quick simple kit although the detail painting is a bit tricky for my heavy-handedness

Speaking of which, further progress has been mmade

2022-12-30-12-00-01.jpg

2022-12-30-16-11-12.jpg

Now all that's needed is re-assembly, gloss coat, some sort of wash/highlighting then she's done

More soon(ish)

/P

• Like 5

Strange scale - I though it might be a reboxing of somebody else's mould for example Bandai, but Scalemates say it is a Revell original so maybe it is an example of "Box Scale". Of course given nobody probably knows how big this was I guess the scale in not very relevant!

Pete

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Strange scale - I though it might be a reboxing of somebody else's mould for example Bandai, but Scalemates say it is a Revell original so maybe it is an example of "Box Scale". Of course given nobody probably knows how big this was I guess the scale in not very relevant!

Pete

Haha yes, it's definitely 241 times smaller than the original, NOT 240. That would be impossible. Think of the fuselage extension job on this. 

• Haha 2

It's strange. I also thought it was a Bandai but it does have Revell copyright marks

2022-12-31-16-14-35.jpg

Moving swiftly on, I finished up the detail painting, highlighting and varnish. Since I painted all of the clear parts and red panels (why do they only supply decals for the red, and not the grey) there are no decals to apply

The isntructions state black for the cockpit but I added some brown and silver just because ......

2022-12-31-16-16-45.jpg

Then closed everything up and we're done

2022-12-31-16-34-41.jpg

I'll post pics in the gallery soon(ish)

This is my final build completion for 2022

2022-12-31-16-44-28.jpg

Thanks to @Col. and @Corsairfoxfouruncle for hosting the GB, and everyone else for comments, likes or just looking

More with my GeeBee build soon(ish)

/P

• Like 6

There's bound to be some Star Wars super-fans who can quote us the exact dimensions for the 'real' machine but in the meantime your model certainly looks the part Peter.

• Thanks 1