1/48 Sanger Engineering B-47E SAC Part2

Now on to the Bomb bay with all its lovely wiring. The easiest way I've found to wiring is common sewing thread. Lots of nice colours and my favorite price.... Cheap.

52667542500_35d32d569b_c.jpg

I made the lightening holes a little bit larger to make it easier to thread multiple lines through the holes.

52667105176_cfdc89dc30_c.jpg

52667542490_e861afa485_c.jpg

Along the way I added some silver wire and a couple of leftover oxygen bottles from another project that I had made too many of.

• Like 12

Installing it all together, The outer frame is not permanently attached yet. I'll do that when the halves are glued together.

52667608718_e004ae681c_c.jpg

52667105161_88487f3e20_c.jpg

Then a little bit of angle and I beam strip for lateral bulkhead bracing. I've still got to make a Bombardier's access door that's used when its time to arm whatever "Special Ordinance" they happen to be carrying.

52667608703_fd9f29c4bb_c.jpg

• Like 13

Speaking of "Special Ordinance"  1 Mk 5 with a nice little magnet to hold it to its Universal Bomb rack, Light on the plutonium and hold the Mayo.

52667542480_c18c3f9b81_c.jpg

52667105186_4186cee21c_c.jpg

Next will be the Rear Main Gearbay. But I'll Save  that for tomorrow. 

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, CJP said:

Cabling and pipe work detail looks great.

Thanks, I couldn't get as much wiring and piping in as I wanted, but its relatively got a "busy" look to it. So, I'm satisfied.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In between other things(translation: other build) I've finally finished the rear gear bay.

52695512560_500b0c026b_c.jpg

52695100961_474c024ea1_c.jpg

Though not as "busy" as the other two bays it was still a pain in the backside.

• Like 9

After the bay was installed I mated both fuselage halves have been mated! Hoorah!!! A landmark event 7 years in the making.

52695512565_932ddb239c_c.jpg

Once the glue dried I cut thick plastic strips from some leftover stock from another build and created the main spars for the eventual addition of the wings.(Gee, I almost sound confident that I'll get this hangar queen finished.

• Like 8

The radar cover at the front and the 20mm turret at the rear.

52695366039_279ef887bf_c.jpg

52695100926_72939c9925_c.jpg

I will need to sand and clean up some before the further sanding and filling.

The turret I vac copied from the turret of a B-36 I built a while ago.

• Like 7

Last but not least the tail.

52695366034_f4b2ba3043_c.jpg

To get the tail to sit properly, I added another thick piece of strip so it will attach properly. On the fuselage I cut out the mating opening.

52695100956_4a6346c575_c.jpg

The horizontal stabilizers I used a thick rod for stability while the glue dries.

52695100921_2200f3c2e8_c.jpg

It's finally starting to look like a B-47E., in spite my best efforts otherwise.:doh:

• Like 10

There now the correct images have been added  3 of the same image didn't quite communicate what I had accomplished. DOH! I now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

• Like 1

Thanks Tom. It's been a Hanger Queen long enough. And now that I'm past the cockpit ,which was the biggest road block, So here's hoping things will move along more smoothly

• 1 month later...

Thanks Ryan, It's about the size of a B-29. A lot bigger than I expected considering its  3 crew member jet. I've been at a stand still for a while, with other projects, but I have managed to get the panel lines re-scribed and a coat of primer on it. I'm hoping to get some updated progress  pictures uploaded soon.

• Like 1

I missed this thread completely but have just had a good catch up. The bomb bays are spectacular, hope you get back to it soon. I love seeing the skills  these huge vac formed monsters require to build. 

Richie

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RichieW said:

I missed this thread completely but have just had a good catch up. The bomb bays are spectacular, hope you get back to it soon. I love seeing the skills  these huge vac formed monsters require to build. 

Richie

Thanks Ritchie, I'm glad you like my progress so far. I should have a progress report here in a few days.

• Like 1

This is amazing work.

Which 3D software do you use?

I'm fighting Fusion 360 now (trying to do a correct engine nacelle for my Sanger B-52's)...

TIA,

S.

Actually Sebastian, I used Lightwave 3D. An Animation software that has a built in modeller. From there I save as an SLI file for printing. I've been using it since the early 90's.

Thank you Loren.

I'll have to work on my B-47 sometime, and I'm really impressed by your parts.

Have you got the pilot manual for the B-47 ? It's quite interesting for cockpit detail.

Cheers,

S.

Most of what I've found has been on the internet. Though if you can find it and it's not outrageously priced if you do, I recommend " Boeing's B-47 Stratojet by Alwyn T. Lloyd" It has a lot of great pictures and drawings.A good portion of the cockpit I took from the restored training mock up.

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/Museum-Exhibits/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/196900/boeing-rb-47h-stratojet/

The images are in a scrolling picture gallery at the top of the page. just click on an image and the full sized picture shows up.

and here's one on Prime Portal

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/luc_colin3/b-47_cockpit_engine/

1 hour ago, LorenSharp said:

Most of what I've found has been on the internet. Though if you can find it and it's not outrageously priced if you do, I recommend " Boeing's B-47 Stratojet by Alwyn T. Lloyd" It has a lot of great pictures and drawings.A good portion of the cockpit I took from the restored training mock up.

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/Museum-Exhibits/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/196900/boeing-rb-47h-stratojet/

The images are in a scrolling picture gallery at the top of the page. just click on an image and the full sized picture shows up.

and here's one on Prime Portal

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/luc_colin3/b-47_cockpit_engine/

I've bought every book I could find on the B-47, including the one you quote (and it's quite a good book, you're totally right).

Thanks for the links!