Monogram 1/48 P47 - First released 1967 - Finished!!

85-C2680-E-7-A72-4-D44-96-A7-7-BC4974-D9Cowling, touched up and associated gubbins attached. Starting to look the part.

I’m just thinking the cowl was as much work as the rest of the build; 95 little foil squares !! But I am pleased with the result.

The other point of interest is the size of the Jug the Fokker in the background is the same scale and it was big for a single seater in its day.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 10

4 hours ago, GAF said:

Going to drill out the holes for the machine guns next?

I had completely forgotten them, yes some suitable brass tubing will be added. But probably the undercarriage next and maybe the interior.

Edited by Marklo

1-AB4-BEA9-FF48-45-B0-860-C-C08-CEE8-B88While looking for parts for the Brisfit I found the undercarriage for the Jug, so duly attached. Looks even more the part standing up straight. Out of ink atm so I’ll need to go to Tesco and get some cartridges to print the Butch II logo, hopefully the kit decals will be ok, they’ve been sitting on my bedroom window for months and are at least now white again. If push comes to shove I’ll photocopy them onto decal paper.

• Like 5

958-B4-F28-7091-4-F91-9-AE1-CC2-FCD6354-In the interests of symmetry and consistency I made a drill guide from heat bent styrene from the scrap bin. Then drilled the machine gun holes. I’ll use some micro tube for the barrels. They’re .50 cal so the barrel diameter is 20.4mm the nearest I have is .8mm a tad over scale but it’ll do.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 5

On 8/20/2022 at 4:49 AM, Marklo said:

They’re .50 cal so the barrel diameter is 20.4mm the nearest I have is .8mm

Is that the actual barrel or barrel shroud ? P-47’s had a shroud on the outside of the barrel so you actually maybe on the correct size ? I can hunt photo’s if needs be but t will be later today. 

EDIT: http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=58200

Scroll down a little bit, there is a good example in the photo’s. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

Great photos btw. The 20.4 is the od of a 50 cal barrel but they do look to have a metal shroud so .8mm might actually be to scale.

I have tubes in aluminium, copper and brass ranging from .8 to 1.2mm so I’ll see which looks the best.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

619-B9-B8-D-2687-4-ED0-9-E95-3-D0805-D9-Gear doors painted and attached, cannon barrels added .8mm aluminium tube, looks about right to me. I was going to paint them but based on @Corsairfoxfouruncles reference photos the bare aluminium ( should that be aluminum :) of course Sir Humphry Davy finally wanted to call it  Alumium which just didn’t stick ) is about right.

78-BEEA8-F-7887-406-A-BAA8-40095-F8-B8-C

Started on the decals. I need to print off the call sign, underwing stars and the Butch II logo.

That just leaves the office and the canopy and it’s finished.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 6

01142-BF0-62-B3-4-B3-E-967-B-45883-D8-F9

Finished. The printed decal Butch II marking was too transparent to show up as yellow instead it was a dark olive, so I ended up over painting it with a very fine brush and some Tamiya flat yellow, fraught but worked out in the end.

More pics in the gallery.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 6

Great result Marklo! The diamond pattern on the cowling is particularly welldone. Lt Col William B. Bailey would have been pleased.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Toryu said:

The diamond pattern on the cowling is particularly welldone.

Thank you, as you can see from the WIP it took a bit of figuring and 95 individual pieces of self adhesive foil. Under normal circumstances I probably would have chosen a new scheme after the first few attempts, but I reckon my digital camo challenger has desensitised me to complex masking jobs :) 

35F2CD1E-3F56-4534-B2B3-32B3AC66AE87.jpg

86BA62F2-944E-4B66-8804-2E8267BDC47E.jpgBut like the Jug, the end result was worth the effort.

• Like 4

• Marklo changed the title to Monogram 1/48 P47 - First released 1967 - Finished!!