SU 15UM Flagon G

Marklo

Well I know I said I wasn’t going to start any new wip this side of Christmas but as I’m making great progress and I don’t have very much wip that’s not well advanced I thought I’d start this one.

resized_0b20952f-ee8d-43e8-8cd9-d9340f31
An interceptor designed to be able to take down Boeing bombers it’s not my usual choice of subject and in 1/72 not my preferred scale but looks like quite a nice kit.

resized_56647138-4884-4186-bae7-c788f001Sprues. Two box schemes both Nmf, looks all two seaters were in this finish, the single seater has camo versions, I did toy with the idea of converting it but I think I’ll just run with the kit.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I have always liked the 50/60 's jets and the Soviets had some real interesting designs. 

I have a Pioneer 2 1/72 Flagon Su-21F kit which is really a SU-15F waiting it's turn.  These jets in 1/72 are about the same size as many 1/48 WWII and larger than most WW1 types.

Looking forward to see how you get on with this on.

cheers, Graham

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

c709b5df-1cc5-4897-a797-bcc8f9a82000.jpeCan you say rudimentary :) that’s all the interior that comes with the kit and I couldn’t find the floor so that’s plastic card. Needs at least some IPs and a stick or two, but tbh with the canopy in very little will be visible, must make sure to remember to add some lead shot.

resized_a1b49bee-fd70-4e9d-bfec-8bace310Fuselage zipped up. Although the parts are fairly flat there is a bit of mismatch at the joints particularly along the spine so it’s going to take a bit of filling and sanding to get right particularly as it’s looking like a nmf finish.

• Like 1

Really starting to look like a Flagon.

Incidentally, those slats or grates of whatever you would like to call them on the flat surface on the leading portion of the intakes closest to the fuselage are incorrectly modeled in these kits.

They are really just painted on the original aircraft. I think they may have been as a form of "Danger - Jet intake" kind of warning. I have pictures where they are painted yellow/black and red/black.

cheers, Graham

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/1/2021 at 9:13 AM, Marklo said:

An interceptor designed to be able to take down Boeing bombers it’s not my usual choice of subject and in 1/72 not my preferred scale but looks like quite a nice kit.

This is a nice kit but not easy to apply NMF (Natural Metal Finish) as the surface is not very smooth if I remember correctly. I build some of them 30 years ago and enjoyed lot. I had also converted one of them to "Flagon M" as "what if" and currently used as weathering and painting testbed (I will repair it soon)

2605.jpg

On 12/1/2021 at 2:35 PM, ColonelKrypton said:

I have a Pioneer 2 1/72 Flagon Su-21F kit which is really a SU-15F waiting it's turn.

Hi Graham, Pioneer is the UK rebox of PM kit:

2602.jpg

2603.jpg

19 hours ago, Aigore said:

Big nosed flagons are way too underrepresented on our build tables!

What about my "what if" Flagon nose?

On 12/1/2021 at 4:13 PM, neil5208 said:

Looks interesting, it been in my wanted list for a while.

Trumpeter has also very nicely detailed Su-15 Flagons (A, F, TM) kits and I bought a pair last year with a very reasonable price...

Serkan

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 05/12/2021 at 22:01, Aigore said:

Big nosed flagons are way too underrepresented on our build tables!

I'll be following this :D

This is what the one seater looks like (with the modified canted air intakes) :

OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpgSu-15-Flagon.png

Su-15.pngFlagon.png

Su-15-nose.png

Edited by AV O
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AV O said:

This is what the one seater looks like (with the modified canted air intakes) :

What I remember from 25 years ago build was the AA-3 missiles were not fitting the pylons (I don't remember whether the pylons were too short or the missile fins were too long). Of coarse it was before www age and I had no chance to search on internet... 🏛

• Like 2

resized_4a800e2e-3a4c-4d07-8e8a-4cf31b88After several thin coats of Tamiya chrome silver.

resized_4a3f1799-95a5-4c18-95b8-b052b829After some gunmetal pigment ( a bit dark) and then a very light coat from a silver rattle can. I’ll probably give it a paynes grey wash once it’s fully dry as most of the flagon photos look a little grimy.

• Like 1

resized_fc5d3a51-e61f-4990-8f3b-19898248Wheels gear doors and pylons added. I think it’s ready for decals and missiles to be added.

Still not 100% on the finish, it’s a bit shines, so l may still break out the oil paints after the decals go on, then I might stop absent mindedly humming Hawkwind every time I look at it :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4