HMCS Snowberry 1/144 by Revell (16 years later)

Good afternoon.

Slow progress, but I'm in no rush. Close up photos are not good, they show all the crappy paint work.

Life boats finished, but I'm not sure about the black cord, might take it off.

p?i=48ffc33f30227dd557b9ae6107c5bf3b

p?i=ee8a3da36ae7dd57c5bb68f6fabcbbb7

Three stages of build for a deck house, once it was all together and sprayed white I realised that the roof should be dark grey.........out with the brushes.

p?i=f77e839f18f40ed1a230e20ed4ce275a

p?i=b75703986f5030ae42217fa7fc5a29bf

p?i=7a321683aabf0054c41ae51ec28a35a6

Depth charge launchers and ammo fitted.

p?i=ebb1692216d3ec9940732a7259a62e11

• Like 3

You seem to have two depth charges defying the laws of gravity.

love the boats, maybe find some thinner thread instead of the black cord (Caldercraft make various sizes of rigging thread. I've a selection of these to use for various scales/diameters)

Tom

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Modelholic said:

You seem to have two depth charges defying the laws of gravity.

Can you enlighten me ? 
Re. The boats, I have other threads but my problem is attaching it. I’ll have to ponder the problem.
Jon

Edited by Faraway

Looking good Jon. (Oh, by the way, my La Malouine has gone to it's new home today.......now pondering what to do next!)

WRT to black cord, I saw a build log, think it was Robs, where he drilled small holes and fitted the cord in those.....looked rather good. Think it was the same log where he used the tape to clinker the boats.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Starspell said:

where he drilled small holes and fitted the cord in those.....looked rather good

Steve.

I’ve seen that. Not sure I’m up to it, my drilling of small holes usually destroys more drills than creates holes.

Jon

It doesn't look much, but its taken a while to do.

First, my first foray with "Bobs Buckles" https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/index.html. Amazing, tiny little eyebolts and tube and they really do make adding rigging much easier. I just need to plan where I'll be putting the rigging, so as to drill holes for them. 

Having these might make me more willing to build AND rig my WNW Sopwith Camel.

I'm still playing with the ropes along the side of the Lifeboats and think, using @robgizlu excellent build as an example, I might have cracked it.

p?i=0c81dd8d07abd8c9a958d12db8624469

Next, I've assembled the Bofors Gun using kit parts and PE, it looks better with the naked eye and not in closeup. Followed up by and two pairs of Lewis Guns.

Just need to touch up the paint.

p?i=29680c66a2d0553a8c0d96231ac26f03

p?i=fe7132d9d2a363aeb6d8475c6819417d

p?i=ca0c0c0ae554dc2ef55f7a98ee47fe2f

p?i=62ae76bbbcba5758e3d8e4d57c06a8bd

p?i=9d336436853cdb8be63b4fff8d1597ef

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

Bob's Buckles eh ! :yahoo:

Rob.

How does he make them. .?????

I did manage to thread the thread 😂😂 through the tube and the eyebolt AND back through the tube, god I’m good. 😜😜. I shall definitely get more for all my rigging needs. Great customer interaction.

Jon

• Like 1

Jon

I'm always assuming that people are using one of these ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Optivisor-6-33096E-11-No-5-Magnifier/dp/B0015IN8J6/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3LG6H4YK4L9R1&dchild=1&keywords=optivisor+headband+magnifier&qid=1612112677&sprefix=Optivisor%2Ckitchen%2C161&sr=8-6

You are doing well if you are over 45 yrs and managing without!!!

Rob

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

Jon

I'm always assuming that people are using one of these ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Optivisor-6-33096E-11-No-5-Magnifier/dp/B0015IN8J6/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3LG6H4YK4L9R1&dchild=1&keywords=optivisor+headband+magnifier&qid=1612112677&sprefix=Optivisor%2Ckitchen%2C161&sr=8-6

You are doing well if you are over 45 yrs and managing without!!!

Rob

Rob.

I use a LED magnifier, couldn’t manage without. I do have a headset magnifier but struggle with it, as I also wear glasses, usually end up closing one eye. As for 45, I can’t even remember when that was 😜😜😜

Jon

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Faraway said:

Rob.

I use a LED magnifier, couldn’t manage without. I do have a headset magnifier but struggle with it, as I also wear glasses, usually end up closing one eye. As for 45, I can’t even remember when that was 😜😜😜

Jon

Well a gentleman has to always err on the side of caution ;)

I wear 1.5 readers (sadly nearing the end of my 6th decade :rofl2:) and the Optivisor works fine without them, but I relaise there's all sorts of refractive issues.

Doing this unmagnified is clearly a major challenge :hypnotised:

Rob

• Like 1

Gidday, I hope to get to sixth grade one day, but at age 64 I'm probably leaving it a bit late. 😁

I used to use a LED magnifier (on a stand) and it was very good. Couldn't have done without it. I was given a head mounted magnifier which I didn't use for a while. When I did I converted, I no longer have to take the job to the lens. Plus I can use it elsewhere. I can't do without it now. Sometimes I use both for a really close-up look. I also wear glasses permanently, but they and the head lamp don't seem to bother each other. But I guess different people's eyes have different issues.

DSCN6002

Each have two degrees of magnification. HTH.

I still think the work on the model is very good. Rigging is out of my league, though.

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

I'm back, been a bit distracted by other things. Anyway here is the latest progress, this I about the finish of this area. Time to mount the funnel etc, and move forward.

Glad I used the Eduard railings far better than the rather chunky ones offered in the kit.

Jon

p?i=6b2190e47459572794f697b6670e7167

p?i=99bd9d8558888a3ca1257c2582260dfd

Just aft of the rectangular life raft is a small panel, which I believe would have had the ships name on, now I wonder..............................?

p?i=42e36a2b268f4e2d59dfaee70e5b8b7f

Edited by Faraway
  • Like 1

Gidday Faraway (that sounds rather poetic 😀), I believe you are correct regarding the name plate. I've seen a photo of a depth charge crew reloading a thrower on HMS Dianthus, with the ship's name plate on the bulkhead behind them, seemingly in exactly that location.

46 minutes ago, Faraway said:

now I wonder..............................?

..........if you could make two?    It would make a nice touch if you could.

The model continues to look good. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

..........if you could make two?    It would make a nice touch if you could

Be rude not to, one either side. I've tried to make them look like brass figures on a wooden plaque. Sort of works.

Jon

p?i=2d97730a50ba0bbd19b551e524e63ca7

• Like 4