Splash the Zeros! - Completed

dnl42

@keefr22 and @Col., spinner it is.

The Zero is done! :yahoo:

splash-f-14-done.jpg

The Tomcat's ordnance is done. True to the movie, it's all inert

splash-f-14-ordnance.jpg

The Tomcat just needs its ordnance. One of pilot's name stencils decided to disappear, so I removed the others, which is per the movie.

splash-done.jpg

I like that scene too. It shows the Zero vainly trying to hide in the clouds as well as the attitudes of the aircraft. For the Tomcat to slow down enough to trail the Zero, it needs a substantial angle-of-attack. I've been thinking about the display, and I think an inline formation with the Zero in level flight and the Tomcat in high angle-of-attack could be interesting.

• Like 10

The base is ready for water. This is MDF with layers of Duplicolor (auto lacquer) sandable primer. I'll need to remember this if I ever want a slate faux finish.

splash-base-primed.jpg

Next is water using the TP and white glue method described in this youtube video. It looks like the just-applied TP-glue mix--before he started adding waves--is about right for a mid-ocean scene.

I'm now thinking of placing the aircraft in approximately the positions shown to show the "Splash the Zeros" moment. The Zero low, trailing smoke, about to hit the water; the Tomcat higher, banking toward the viewer.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, dnl42 said:

...I'm now thinking of placing the aircraft in approximately the positions shown to show the "Splash the Zeros" moment. The Zero low, trailing smoke, about to hit the water; the Tomcat higher, banking toward the viewer.

That sounds cool :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Here's the base, with just blue, black, and green

splash-base-painted0.jpg

And with white and light blue highlights

splash-base-painted1.jpg

And with the models

splash-base-painted2.jpg

Getting the blue on was a nightmare. I grabbed a bottle of blue paint from a cabinet and dropped in on the wood floor, where the bottle cracked slightly. I snatched the bottle quickly and went to put it on a table so I could mop the small bit of spilled paint. Sadly, I didn't quite get the bottle on the table--it dropped and split wide open, splattering blue paint everywhere! Good thing this is water soluble paint. I managed to get it cleaned up with a half hour of wiping and washing. :frantic:

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

I feel your pain with the paint, not the same but a couple of days ago I spilt a whole mug of tea over the living room floor - I'm still cleaning up dried splashes the missus is pointing out to me....!!

Anyways, it obviously wasn't a total disaster as the base is looking great - as are the aeroplanes!

Keith

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The acrylic rods are cut and ready to mount. The bottom 3/16in acrylic rod as a 60° cut and a tab glued on to fit a stand slot in the Zero (T-6). The upper rod has a 45° cut with a pin for the Tomcat's belly.

splash-base-mounted2.jpg

Here are the temporarily mounted aircraft. I didn't glue the rods in yet, so I can still change the Tomcat's attitude. 

splash-base-mounted0.jpg

I obtained some of the raw cotton my honey puts out for bird nesting material. I'm still playing with it to figure out how to get a suitable smoke trail out of the Zero. Suggestions are welcome.

splash-base-mounted1.jpg

Thanks for lookin! :bye:

• Like 5

6 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Cool! Can't help with the smoke I'm afraid, I've always give up trying as it always looks false to me - good luck with your attempt! :)

Aye, that's the rub. I usually find the effort falls short. However, I believe some representation is key to the setting...

• Like 1

TBH, my failure in being able to make the smoke was the reason I showed the 'Zero' in the sea!! :)

I guess you'd need a much bigger base to go with your original idea of the Tomcat creeping up on the Zero? Although as Col said earlier, your current plan is more dramatic!

Keith

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, dnl42 said:

What do you think?

Honestly? IMHO I think it looks like painted cotton wool.... :(

But having said that, I think you've done it really well, and I don't think it could be done any better. It's a shame with all the products and technology we have in modelling these days that someone hasn't come up with some better smoke effect...

Keith

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Honestly? IMHO I think it looks like painted cotton wool.... :(

Well, I airbrushed it with India Ink. But, you're spot on!

I drilled holes for the acrylic rods and applied gloss varnish to the base. The clearcoat made the color a lot richer.

splash-base-gloss.jpg

Final assembly once this dries. Hopefully tomorrow.

• Like 1

• dnl42 changed the title to Splash the Zeros! - Completed

This is super cool - well done!

I love that movie too. I know it was nothing like the smash hit Top Gun was, and that they were quite different movies, but I really like TFC more I think (as cool as Top Gun is). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice result :goodjob:

15 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Hm, the pilots need booster seats... :sad:

splash-finished6.jpg

Didn't realise Tom Cruise was in this film as well ;) 

• Haha 2