Eduard MiG-21bis 1/48

8 minutes ago, John Masters said:

I found the PE cockpit instrument panels to be too persnickety for me.  I have seen better modellers make real art from them, but that was not my experience: a lot of work and I ended up removing them to fit the seat.  

Persnickety - what a great sounding word, have not heard that before. 

But you are true. Sometimes nicely molded plastic cockpits with some careful painting can look just as good or better. Especially if the fit of the PE parts is not good.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, John Masters said:

I found the PE cockpit instrument panels to be too persnickety for me.  I have seen better modellers make real art from them, but that was not my experience: a lot of work and I ended up removing them to fit the seat.  

The cockpit fit wasn't great, will have to make some adjustments. Also the colour from cockpit to PE panel is off. 

Fingers crossed moving forward. 

Started the painting, a nervous stage, where I try not to knock off any of the delicate parts.  Pitot tubes and any PE has not been fitted.  The two colours are, Mr Colour C22 dark earth, and 302 Green FS34092.  You really need this at least 50/50 with the thinner.

49800770421_3c9d3ed1fe_b.jpg

49801281792_bd4430edf0_b.jpg

Edited by Andy350
  • Like 2

I quickly scrolled down and wondered that why are you having a sandwich on your work bench - that sponge being the bread, mig a lettuce and red tomato clamp sticking out under :D And WIP pic on top, with mayo masking sausages :D

Looking good, always exciting to mask & paint - and see the end result. Nice looking colors.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, reini said:

I quickly scrolled down and wondered that why are you having a sandwich on your work bench - that sponge being the bread, mig a lettuce and red tomato clamp sticking out under :D And WIP pic on top, with mayo masking sausages :D

Looking good, always exciting to mask & paint - and see the end result. Nice looking colors.

🤣 I wish I was having one of those.

Many thanks.  I think one more coat of the green , and then the reveal.  

• Like 1

I didn't appreciate the amount of decals for this, slow going.  Doing them in three stages, port, starboard, then underside.  Then it's fitting udercarriage, doors.  I was hoping that this would be done by the weekend, but not sure at the moment.

49830277737_2697b1400b_b.jpg

49830278297_2d529a14ab_b.jpg

This nearly didn't happen, I don't know if they look very good as I couldn't get them to sit correctly.

49830434677_15c36430d4_b.jpg

• Like 4

After fitting nearly all of the tiny small scale decals I failed on what should have been a simple set of four.  Not to worry, I'm enjoying this build and not worrying about things I find challenging.

49833515588_7f310302b9_c.jpg

Edited by Andy350
  • Like 1

Finally finished an ejector seat, I wasn't really too sure how to fit the straps, I looked online and there were a few different looking setups, I am also tempted to paint the tiny black areas on the handle.  this was something that I was concerned about, at least I can tick this off the list.

49837802177_bcd3f2d534_b.jpg

• Like 2

Sorry about lighting, my pics are coming out a bit dark.  Almost at the end now, it's been an interesting build, made some mistakes, but that seems to be the case with the builds, coming up against issues I've never had before, so hopefully in the long run I will get there.  The biggest problem I had was with the paint, I sure it was a 50/50 mix of My Colour and the thinning solution but it was drying before hitting the surface!  

49842187426_108c19265b_c.jpg49842187666_94c53d5ca4_c.jpg

49842186466_cfc8526f51_c.jpg

• Like 4

Yesterday, I was slightly ahead of where you are on my Mig-21 (Academy in the yellow Hungarian Capeti scheme) . I was putting the finishing touches to it when I dropped it. Second model I've dropped lately.. Anyway, while crawling around looking for broken bits, I crushed a main landing gear leg. Now I'm behind you in terms of progress  🤣😔

Looking good and looking forward to seeing yours complete! 

• Sad 3

• 2 years later...
On 06/04/2020 at 19:28, Andy350 said:

49743124941_e9c2579172_c.jpg

Whenever I face these builds I have trouble deciding the livery, and then weapons.  I don't really want to carry too much.  So this is where I need some advice please?  I was thinking of the central 490l fuel tanks, and maybe just a single rocket on each wing, or maybe just the central fuel tanks.

Must admit I do find some of the options a bit confusing.

All thoughts welcomes as usual, too many options for me to make up my mind!!!!

Bagram - one of the most common: central 800l - 2xR-60 - 2xR-3R

spacer.png

Whenever I face these builds I have trouble deciding the livery, and then weapons.  I don't really want to carry too much.  So this is where I need some advice please?  I was thinking of the central 490l fuel tanks, and maybe just a single rocket on each wing, or maybe just the central fuel tanks.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

spacer.png

• Like 1