My First Whiffer

Well, I was building this Airfix Vampire and wasn't very impressed with the colour scheme on the box and it occurred to me, how come nobody ever painted one up as a bat?  It struck me as the sort of thing that Squadron Leader A.C. Plonk of the Shepherds Bush Air Force would like.  I'd hit google images and found nothing along those lines so I gave it a whack.   It only looks okay from the top and I'm semi-satisfied with that angle.  From the side it failed miserably so I'm not showing that!  A bit of repainting (or perhaps another Vampire) is in order but although there's acres of room for improvement I think I've got the general impression happening.

Vampire 13

I don't know if it was in protest of the low quality of my work but Popsie, one of my cats, sat on it and broke the starboard u/c leg!  (She's now next to the computer supervising as I make this post).

I seem to remember my big brother telling me he worked on Vampires (he was an airframe fitter before remustering as a musician and becoming the the scourge of Central Band) in Australia round about 1961-ish (I was only 8 when he was posted to Oz and 10 when he came home) so I've been wanting one for a while.

• Like 23

20 minutes ago, Gorby said:

These roundels would have been good:

Yeah, baby!  I gotta get some decal paper for things like that (and learn how to use the stuff).  I also have in mind getting another Wimpy (I'm on final assembly of one right now) and creating a 1946 luxury airliner with a fictitious company, maybe something with the wife's name involved.  Speaking of the wife, I'd also had thoughts of doing up a Spit for her in pink and blue camo with Marks and Spencer logos, credit cards, shoes and handbags replacing the regular roundels and numbers.

• Haha 1