391P Curtiss P40 First issue.

TonyW

Yet another P40 added to my build list!

Sorting through my box scale kits, I dug out my first issue P40, the one with the engraved markings. Wonder of wonders, there were two complete kits in the box! I don't remember how that came to pass, but I probably picked up a kit in a trashed box at some point and put the parts in with my good one. Whatever the reason, it's given me the perfect chance to have a built original to sit alongside a mint unbuilt boxed example. That's my idea of the perfect scenario.

Here's the kit, or rather, kits.

IMG-7585.jpg

A week ago I didn't have any built FROG P40's, nor was I aware of the later version. Now I'm close to having all three versions built up for my collection! It wouldn't have happened without this group build.

• Like 9

Two kits in box - that's a lovely surprise. Only one ampule of glue though!

I have a Frogspawn, bagged Barracuda in the same colour plastic, not sure how that came to happen as it was a much later kit I think.

• Like 1

That glue is leaking a jelly like substance as well! Fortunately it hasn't got on any of the kit parts.

Frogspawn kits can be found in a wild variety of colours. Blue is one of the more subdued. The moulds got swapped about quite a bit after they were sold on and the various firms used what they had for plastic. 

• Like 2

And yet he pulls out another!! Lovely to see all these original and mint boxed kits Tony. It's a real treat to see these pioneering kits on show. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A fair bit got done on the P40 over the weekend, with a bit more today as the weather outside is far too wet to even think about working out there.

The basic kit got slotted into the assembly line and is rapidly catching up with my other builds. Bad weather has its good parts.

It's still in bare plastic in this shot...

IMG-7617.jpg

Then a coat or two of a humbrol green that ties in with the boxart while still not straying too far from an authentic finish. The instruction sheet calls out dark green, grey and sky blue as a scheme. That would certainly raise an eyebrow or two, but I'll compromise to somewhere in the middle. I like building in period, so I'm happy to use compromise colours as the pallet available to a modeller in 1959 was a bit basic to say the least.

IMG-7623.jpg

Followed by transfers and a coat of satin varnish to darken the finish slightly.

IMG-7654.jpg

The undersides have had a grey first coat and work will start on the final details this afternoon with a bit of luck.

The engraved panel lines and detailing on this one and the P47 recently finished is not too far removed from the lines used on current Airfix kits. What goes around, comes around.

Tony.

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 6

Here's a technique you don't see every day...

IMG-7663.jpg

... How retro is that? Just as FROG suggest, I've melted a dome over the wheel centres to fix them in place. They even turn now! Just the ticket for a Nostalgia Build.

Here's the plane, nearly done. The undercarriage will be fitted later today, the underside grey just had a second coat and it needs a bit of drying time. I'm hoping the legs will be a push fit, then I can pose the plane on or off the stand. I like planes gear up when a stand is in use. I'll just look the other way where the tailwheel is concerned .

IMG-7666.jpg

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 8

That’s a Melting moment right there Tony! Love how this one is coming along and agree that building these old kits ‘period style’ is the best way to go. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Haha 2

Hi Tony, 

great build! It does not look like a half century old kit!

Frog were indeed years ahead back then. I love the little glue bladder looking suave and debonair in a corner of the instruction sheet!

Congrats.

JR

• Like 1

Cracking effort Tony. I'm with Jean on this one, seems to come up quite well for such an old kit, the overall shape being more than adequate IMO. Well done in getting another Frog classic over the finishing line. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1