Decal solution

Yeet yeet i dont like beet

I gave it a go some time ago, just out of curiously. I found the even neat vinegar isn't anywhere near strong enough to work on decals. You may have better results buying some acetic acid, as an old acquaintance used to make his own decal solvent that way.

Cheers,

Mark.

Just a brief reminder, vinegar is diluted acetic acid.   Even neat vinegar is going to be too weak,  but that is why some decal solvents smell of vinegar.    Not sure how easy it to get acetic acid, don't know if it's one of those 'elf and safety' things..

and as you do these days, have a look on ebay...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1L-Acetic-acid-glacial-99-Ethanoic-acid/320949324235

or smaller

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACETIC-ACID-GLACIAL-250ML-WITH-SAFETY-GLASSES/223268829779

the availabilty might be different in Finland though...

You'd get  A LOT of decal solution out of these, as I'm guessing the stuff neat would melt most decals.

Chip shops use acetic acid as the basis for vinegar (or at least they used to).  If you know anyone in the industry, you could always tap them up for a bottle?  TBH though, the commercially available solutions are so cheap it's hardly worth the hassle unless you're decalling a 1:1 Boeing 747? :shrug:

My solutions of choice are Mr Mark Setter, Mr Mark Softer, and Daco STRONG for those decals that just won't settle :)

1 minute ago, colin said:

Mine must be a knockoff Mr Mark Softner, the stuff wont do anything to any decals I've tried it on.

That's when I bring out the Daco Strong big guns. :coolio: I usually only resort to that if an instrument panel decal isn't settling down though  :)

• Like 1