Messerschmitt Me-262 V1 (Stage I)

Model: Antares 1/48thMesserschmitt Me-262 V1

Paint: Model Master Metalizer Lacquer (Aluminium Buffing), Mr Hobby and Tamiya Acrylics, Rub’nBuff Silver Leaf

Extras: Custom cast rear fuselage, CMK PE Instrument panel

I built this as part of the Me-262 STGB using Antares 1/48thresin model. It should have been an OOB build and a simple straightforward build. Unfortunately there were issues with either the original casting or re-casting of the model that lead to issues with the main fuselage. This model is long out of production and after talking to the owner, it turns out the few remaining models have the same problem.

Sorry these are not the best photos but basically the issue is where the two fuselage moulds meet, the top half has opened up and allowed the lower section to drop into it slightly during the re-casting process. Not a simple fix.

IMG_0951-XL.jpg

IMG_1476-L.jpg

I was left with either abandoning the project, try and reshape the affected sections (I did this with the front section, it wasn’t as bad as the rear), or remove the rear section and re-cast it. I did the latter.

IMG_1507-L.jpg

In the end it came out quite ok. Natural Metal Finishes (NMF) scare the  out of me!!! This is the first one I’ve ever really attempted. I used just one paint for this, Model Master Metalizer Lacquer (Aluminium Buffing)and and played around with the effects you can achieve with it. I could find any real information on the actual finish of this aircraft so tried to go with a worked metal unfinished finish…if that makes sense.

I just so loved the look of her without the jet pods, such a clean look, as someone mentioned she look just like a Swallow….or a Shark Swallow!

Anyway do enjoy and thanks for looking.

IMG_1681-XL.jpg

IMG_1682-XL.jpg

IMG_1682-XL.jpg

IMG_1686-XL.jpg

IMG_1688-XL.jpg

IMG_1690-XL.jpg

IMG_1692-XL.jpg

IMG_1698-XL.jpg

….and finally “Alpha to Omega” (well not quite), it’s hard to believe there’s only 33 years difference between first flights of both of these aircraft (1941 and 1974)!

IMG_1702-XL.jpg

• Like 18

A worthy effort, looks good.  Do you have the contact info for the maker?  I'd like to get one of the canopies to build an early 262, I built a Tamiya kit as V7, the first with the production type canopy.

2 hours ago, jeaton01 said:

A worthy effort, looks good.  Do you have the contact info for the maker?  I'd like to get one of the canopies to build an early 262, I built a Tamiya kit as V7, the first with the production type canopy.

here's Marcelo's email address, I'm not too sure if he'll have any canopies spare. He normally sells either complete kits (as was this one) or conversion kits. But there is no harm in asking him.

[email protected]

If you have no luck then let me know as I have a spare canopy you can have, if you're happy to pick up postage?