A Few Whales

Some variations on the A-3 Skywarrior...

KA-3B, BuNo 142664, Modex ND632, on the Nellis AFB transient ramp in May 1981.

142664 vak-308 ND632 KLSV 19810600 09cr

Scars on the fuselage sides indicate a previous life as an EKA-3B electronic warrior, before ending up with this reserve unit.

142664 vak-308 ND632 KLSV 19810600 10

A rather rare one, a UA-3B, 144857, in the VIP parking spot outside the Nellis transient terminal in September 1980. This is the Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) personal transport, witnessed by the CNO pennant flying above the cockpit.

144857 cno KLSV 19801100 09cr

Looks like the crew is anxiously waiting for the admiral. Below, they are joined by the Tactical Fighter Weapons Center protocol officer.

144857 cno KLSV 19801100 07cr

I apologize for the images below. They show what may happen if slides are not properly stored. In this case, inadvertently left in the back of a garage in the Mojave Desert for several years...

A couple of VAQ-33 EKA-3s on the Wright-Patterson AFB transient ramp in September 1979.

146447 vaq-33 GD4 KFFO 19790900 11cr

146447 vaq-33 GD4 KFFO 19790900 12cr

146447 vaq-33 GD4 KFFO 19790900 13cr

146447 vaq-33 GD4 KFFO 19790900 14cr

146447 vaq-33 GD4 KFFO 19790900 15cr

144858 vaq-33 GD25 KFFO 19790900 10cr

144859 vaq-33 GD24 KFFO 19790900 16

Thanks for looking,

Sven

Edited by Old Viper Tester
typo
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Ah, very nice. I remember seeing 144857 when she stayed over at Gatwick. I have some ramp shots somewhere.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

Great photos Sven, I'm really enjoying them, even the faded ones have great interest. One things that puzzles me is the CNOs machine, 144857 & the next two in the series 858 & 859 in your faded photos all have a pointed nose, but other photos on the net show 857 with a sliced off nose, which I'm guessing is a later modification? I'm no whale expert as you can tell. :)

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

Steve,

it's simple! pointy nose, just sharpened, blunty nose, used, and in need of sharpening!! :whistle:

Sven, great photo's, thanks for sharing, please excuse the added lunacy!

Paul

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I'm guessing is a later modification?

The flat nose is a later radome configuration, but I have yet to find a rhyme or reason for the change or why some airframes seem to go back and forth between pointed and flat.

11 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

excuse the added lunacy!

I'm prone to bouts of lunacy myself. Often my wife says I'm not quite "right". No pardon required.:smile:

Sven

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 30 March 2018 at 8:18 AM, stevehnz said:

Great photos Sven, I'm really enjoying them, even the faded ones have great interest. One things that puzzles me is the CNOs machine, 144857 & the next two in the series 858 & 859 in your faded photos all have a pointed nose, but other photos on the net show 857 with a sliced off nose, which I'm guessing is a later modification? I'm no whale expert as you can tell. :)

Steve.

Hi Terry,

144857, at least, was a TA-3, hence no flat nose

Martin

Thanks Martin, I think I'm getting the hang (a little bit) of these things. I'm guessing that the next two aircraft in the serial sequence as shown in Sven's faded shots are also TA-3Bs. I do quite like the pointy nose, now I need me a Hasegawa A-3 kit of some persuasion. :unsure: 

Steve.

Thanks for posting your pictures. I have no real interest in making models of them, but the photos are simply fascinating as an insight into your day job! What an opportunity to record them and thank goodness you took it and are willing to share the images.

great stuff as ever

andy

13 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Thanks Martin, I think I'm getting the hang (a little bit) of these things. I'm guessing that the next two aircraft in the serial sequence as shown in Sven's faded shots are also TA-3Bs. I do quite like the pointy nose, now I need me a Hasegawa A-3 kit of some persuasion. :unsure: 

Steve.

Yes, Steve. You can just make out the "TA-3B" in one of the images (144859/GD 24)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Foolishly I used Ektachrome that day :(.

Sometimes ya gotta go with what ya got. I've been stuck with Ektachrome a few times when the Edwards base exchange would be out of Kodachrome and this young captain couldn't afford to stock up then they did. Something about the nearest "real" store being an hour away and  kids at home. Priorities!

• Like 1

Very true, mate.

Back to my image, I have no idea why this machine visited Gatwick, a U.K. Airport with no military associations. Rarely do any "combat" types land here. 

Martin