Su-9u maiden 1/48

Hewy

3 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Well done on getting the figures to fit - they look really good. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers stix, thats just a wash on the faces as you suggested on the firebar build, much quicker that way

On 2017-5-23 at 03:01, Basilisk said:

Coming along nicely Glynn. Looks like your pilots had been on steroids, but are good looking chaps and will look great in the pit. :D

Cheers, Peter

Yes peter ,big buggers them russkies aren't they

14 minutes ago, mirageiv said:

Lovely painting Glynn, almost a shame to have them covered up but they will certainly look the part underneath the canopy, look forward to how the 'in flight' set up will look!

Ha, i dont know,close up they're not handsome fellows, the seperate hemets are a really nice touch and are really well molded,the pilots  are probably at the top end of 1/48 ,but  the aires resin pilots are better carved and cast ,to be honest the cockpit is a tad small though, 

Glynn

Top 104 by the way, actually the best 1/48 one I've seen

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Basilisk said:

Great effort Glyn. Had to be a relieve to see that the canopy fits with the pilots in place!

Cheers, Peter

It was peter ,so glad i didn't have to take a sliver off the top of there heads as well they'd have ended up really looking like frankenstien's creations then:ner:

Ive got some alclad on today, i used the alclad gloss base first,and ive got to say i much prefer the tamiya grey fine primer it just seens to go on smoother and covers easier,dont know what i did wrong but i had a reaction in a few places  that attacked the plastic ,probably not left the base long  enough,, so had to wet and dry it with some 2500, I'll let this go off for a day or two and then weigh up what else  needs painting ,happy enough at  this stage though,  i tried to get a bit of variation straight off with the initial covering, 

Glynn

20170529_192923_zpsfwklkt7x.jpg

20170529_192623_zpshaf8z7fr.jpg

20170529_192332_zpsrgbvxm2r.jpg

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

That looks so impressive in it's first coat of paint. Good variation too. Lovely job! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers stix there's a bit of every alclad shade I've got on there ,i pretty much like it,but a fresh eye tomorrow might say different, 

Glynn

Very nice silver finish Glynn, but does it look authentic in having this kind of patchy variation in the silver?

Maybe painting some individual panels to get the tonal variations would add nicely to the finish. Check out some pictures of NMF Sukhois.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Now the f-111 is finished i can share my time between this and my little universal carrier in another gb, I've masked some contrasting panels and given it an all over dirty wash,(clay based)  needs a bit more of a clean up ,and then a more targeted oil  weathering,couldnt help demasking the canopy to see the big fellas inside , still need to darken some of the smaller hatches and panels but I'll do that with the hairy stick also broke off a couple of the pylon prongs:tmi: these will have to be replaced

Cheers 

Glynn

OI000195_zpszaujdu50.jpg

OI000194_zpsldwzeimw.jpg

OI000193_zpscfdemsc2.jpg

OI000190_zpsvicsr6bw.jpg

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

All looking very nice indeed Glynn, the pilots look very good peering out of the canopy.

Great bumping into you at Coventry today, did you manage to find anything that caught your interest?

And you pal ,thanks I did craig although i was hoping to pick up a gwh mig 29,no luck,flea bay for tht one..

I managed to get a tamiya 1/48 dora, a 1\35 scammell pioneer break down truck, and the one i wanted a 1/48 tamiya f15 c. Ive got a 1/48  strike eagle but i fancy doing a c for the gb in a few weeks I'm hoping  to get a  lakenheath  decal sheet for it 

• Like 1

I've got a Tamiya F-15 for the same GB, there are too many good GB's on the go at the minute!

I know that Hannants had some decals in stock earlier for Lakenheath Eagles, I think they were by Caracal but Two Bobs did some as well. i might be building a Bitburg bird or an aggressor. I will keep my eyes open for a GWH Mig-29 for you, was there a particular version you were looking for?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

I've got a Tamiya F-15 for the same GB, there are too many good GB's on the go at the minute!

I know that Hannants had some decals in stock earlier for Lakenheath Eagles, I think they were by Caracal but Two Bobs did some as well. i might be building a Bitburg bird or an aggressor. I will keep my eyes open for a GWH Mig-29 for you, was there a particular version you were looking for?

Nice kits still aren't they and only a shade over £20 .I agree i was tempted by the mirage gb ,but with the little universal carrier in the migb gb and the su on the go a bit of steady modelling wouldn't be bad  for a short while i recharge the mojo after the 111, i haven't looked yet craig to be honest for the decals i have a lakenheath set for the strike eagle but i fancy doing a single seat c ,the mig , a 9- 12 late type would fit the bill nicely

Cheers 

Glynn

• Like 1

That really is looking excellent Glynn. The crew really add to the project as well! The paintwork finish looks brilliant so far. Very well done. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1