EE Lightning Tyres

delticfan

I have a Sword 1/72 T5 but compared to the Airfix F6 the tyres look a bit on the thin side. I measured the Airfix ones (main gear) and they scale up to 200mm wide but the Sword one are approx 160mm wide. Does anyone know the correct width and any suggestions on aftermarket alternatives......Thanks.

Barracuda Resin products makes a very nice set of main wheels, nose wheel, and nose strut for the Lightning in 1/72 scale. BR72209 is the stock number. You can visit their website to see what it looks like.

Mike

Hello,

so far I didn't recognize this point. After browsing trough the different flight and maintenance handbooks I have about the Lightning. I couldn't find the tyre sizes. There is always a reference to Dunlop tyres, for example for the F.6 to Dunlop DRR3595T for the main gear and AH52017 for the front gear. There are however some dimensions for checking the correct alingment of the landing gear and with some calculation the tyre width comes to around 185mm which speaks for Sword. I'm not very confident about this and I hope the the forthcoming DACO book will show the tyres in high res so you can read its dimensions.

Or maybe someone can give some light whats behind those Dunlop numbers?

Regards,

Martin

Martin and everyone, thanks for the additional advice, if you could measure the tyre width this week that would be really helpful, I'm doing a mix of airfix and sword models so would like a bit of commonality in parts and think the undercarriage should all look the same. Thanks again looking forward to the definitive answer.

That's interesting, giving a width of 171mm but assuming as with car tyres that the size written on the tyre is its uninflated width the scaled down size is somewhere between the airfix and sword tyre. To me the airfix one looks right either that or get some resin ones. Thanks for taking the time to measure up.