BF109 G-6 Revell 1/32

Here we go. I'm starting this model to pass the time while the Ka-50 is on hold. The BF109 is one of my favorite planes and the G model my preferred beast. It's probably the only airplane I have built mutiple examples of in various scales with this being my first in 1/32. This kit got some good reviews and seems accurate and detailed. There is a pretty high parts count for an airplane of this type, (182 parts) and there is decals for early and late versions of the G-6. Love the variety of the Bf109.Haven't decided which version yet but different parts are there for each version so I gotta decide soon. Fixin to start on cockpit and landing gear so will update soon. God bless and look forward to hearing from you. :winkgrin:

7f23c732-621a-48a7-b886-1f94da1bc2d8.jpg

IMG_3465.jpg

IMG_3466.jpg

IMG_3467.jpg

IMG_3463.jpg

• Like 5

Good luck John will follow this one with interest as I,ve just started the G10,what a beautiful kit it is,some beautiful molding's and despite

the mass of parts in no way over engineered.

Stevej60, you are so right, as I inspect it , it does appear to have fairly intuitive construction, good instructions, and despite the part count, relatively simple. I hope I didn't just jinx myself. :shutup: I have started cockpit and am moving fairly quickly. Revell's Dust Grey translates to Model Master Euro I Gray, so that is cockpit color. I was going to do a wash for some depth, but I don't know how effective that would be as the cockpit color is already dark in color. I will finish up by painting details and give it a light drybrushing. Also installed strut cylinder in tail area. Taped the the two halves together to line up positioning peg while the glue dried so when I glue together fuselage halves together they will line up. I have decided to go with the early version as I like paint and markings better. God bless and God speed.

IMG_3471.jpg

IMG_3473.jpg

IMG_3468.jpg

• Like 3

It also looks like the G-10 model by Revell is improved from the G-6 I'm working on.

It also looks like the G-10 model by Revell is improved from the G-6 I'm working on.

Looking at your sprue shot,s John the G10 differs mainly in the fuselage as It's molded in one piece per side with no panels to add

only the top of the engine cover.I was suprised by the amount of flash around the kit,the rudder pedals were badly affected.

• Like 1

Looking at your sprue shot,s John the G10 differs mainly in the fuselage as It's molded in one piece per side with no panels to add

only the top of the engine cover.I was suprised by the amount of flash around the kit,the rudder pedals were badly affected.

My rudder pedals took some cleaning up as well. I have noticed it elsewhere too. This looks to be a fun build, nonetheless.

Just like the ka-50 canopy before it went terminal, here is the canopy parts for BF109 early G-6. Dipped in Pledge(formerly Future Polish) floor finish. In all my 22 years of modelling, I have never modeled a capony in the open position. I like the ready for business look of closed. Unfortunately my way of doing things doesn't show off cockpit handy work. Among other benefits, the acrylic floor polish gives the canopy great clarity and helps show off the interior better. I don't use it o 1/72 scale and smaller as it, I think, can sometimes make it too shiny and toy-like.

IMG_3478.jpg

IMG_3477.jpg

Edited by yankeemodeller

Great kit, but why don't you Finnish it? http://kuivalainen.mycashflow.fi/product/12019/messerschmitt-bf-109g-6-suomi-132

It will be my first 1:32 kit too! Regards, V-P

My first thought was, " Wow man slow down, give me a chance?" Then I read it twice more.....then, I got it. I actually have a Hobbycraft 1/48 Do217 I think, that I am considering building with Finnish colors.

• Like 1

Ok, here is the finished cockpit. I did do a little wash with a lighter gray color and drybrushed a little metallic. Decal for the instrument panel. The yellow pipes running through the cockpit were a little tricky, but add a little interest to the drab colors. Boy, those buckets the Germans call seats must have been uncomfortable. Sadly, when the cockpit is closed up and ready for installation, so much is not seen. We'll move on and see what's next. Till next time.

IMG_3479.jpg

IMG_3480.jpg

IMG_3481.jpg

• Like 4

Great start! :goodjob: I'd personally add a dark wash in the cockpit, even if it's already a dark color (that's what I did in my current BF109 WIP). Especially because of those very nice highlights you've done, it would help giving even more depth. Just my :2c:

Ciao

• Like 2

Great start! :goodjob: I'd personally add a dark wash in the cockpit, even if it's already a dark color (that's what I did in my current BF109 WIP). Especially because of those very nice highlights you've done, it would help giving even more depth. Just my :2c:

Ciao

Thanks, may do that on next one as I'm sure this won't be my last BF109. Who knows, one day I may actually decide to leave canopy in open position.

• Like 1

Cockpit look,s great John,I had an interesting accident with mine after priming in Tamiya sky gray( which I use to prime most things) I

over thinned the dark gray which ran off the highlighted detail and recesses when I went to re-coat it it actually looked pretty good so

I left it as is!

• Like 1

Fuselage is together after placing a few pieces on that had to go first. I'm not sure why there are so many panels to be put on up front around engine as there is no engine in kit to be displayed, unless it is for those that want to scratch build interior detail. As someone said earlier on this topic, they built Revell's G-10 and fuselage halves were more complete. An improvement in my opinion. Nevertheless, you do need to pay attention when lining up the halves and gluing, as if not aligned properly could cause the other fuselage panels to not fit flush. I haven't test fitted yet so I am keeping my fingers crossed. Good day, and God bless.

IMG_3483.jpg

IMG_3484.jpg

• Like 1

That cockpit looks the business. Nice work.

Must get me some of these larger scale kits.

You know me, I like them small. At the same time I'm also digging the fun of the bigger kits. Sometimes though, it can be harder than 1/144 because on such a large palette, flaws in your body and paint work show up like a sore thumb. Long plastic joints can be a nightmare to make flush. Opening one is like a kid at Christmas looking into the package and all those big beautiful parts jumping out at you. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I actually purchased my first 1/144 kit the other day.

DSC_0003.jpg

Didn't know what to expect, but it was a lot smaller than I expected. It's going to be fun, with my fat fingers.

I bought this kit last week. That's too funny. I like it. One thing about 1/144 scale is, you don't spend too much time on cockpit detailing. Sometimes there is not a cockpit. I hope you find it a pleasant experience. One tip I share is to keep Ziploc storage bags on hand to help organize parts and keep from losing them. You know they always find a way to escape through the cracks of those Revell side-opening boxes. God speed and let me know how it goes when you decide to start it.

Edited by yankeemodeller

Must be catching! I got a pair of Revell Hornet's yesterday only ever built an airliner in 1/144 up to now.

It must be said you can always find room to display them. And, you can build two or three in the time it takes to build a larger scale kit.

• Like 1

Here is the prop and wheels painted with RLM70 and flat black. The instructions called for wheel hubs to be painted black, but my experience with German fighters tells me black/green is correct color. I didn't research this particular plane so I hope I was correct. I will be cleaning up fuselage in prep to put forward fuselage panels on as well as vertical stabilizer and rudder which in the case of this kit look really nice. God bless.

IMG_3507.jpg

• Like 2

Nice prop and wheels :goodjob:

Can you please expand on the wheel hubs color? I'm about to paint them on my G6, and Academy instructions call for black too :confused:

TIA

Ciao

Nice prop and wheels :goodjob:

Can you please expand on the wheel hubs color? I'm about to paint them on my G6, and Academy instructions call for black too :confused:

TIA

Ciao

I wiil talk only from my own experience with the understanding that my experience with these planes is not at expert level. I have built 4 different bf109s and they all called for black/green color. I used RLM70. I immediately assumed, because sometimes they are, that the Revell instructions were in error. I had a bottle of RLM70 on hand so I hooked it up and sprayed. If I'm wrong I am Ok with that. It was a chance on being right that I took for convenience sake. After seeing your post, I did some research and found that some BF109s did have black wheel hubs,so my hastily made assumption could certainly be wrong. I also noticed that the black wheel hubs seemed to be placed with later version tires If I am wrong in relation to this kit, I won't be changing it, but I will certainly note my error and do further research next time. That's the drawback to not being an expert :thumbsup:

Edited by yankeemodeller
  • Like 1