A VC Winners Hurricane

Many months ago when I first noticed there was to be a Battle of Britain group build I felt the urge to join. I've been a little slow in starting though, there is nothing in my stash that was suitable and I have a lot of other builds going on I'd like to clear. However I do have an Airfix 1/72 Hurricane from the VC winners set.

The kit is old and is no where near the modern standards that most of us come to expect. Raised panel lines and ill fitting parts are definitely on offer here! However it is just what I need, after a few builds which have dragged on and not come out quite as expected I need a low expectation, quick and fun build!

So here is what we have got.

3039bc1faa841c5a89626a58db2bf3c2_zpssvku

It is Nicholson's Mk1 Hurricane GN-A. He won the Victoria Cross flying this aircraft during The Battle of Britain.

"During an engagement with the enemy near Southampton on 16th August 1940, Flight Lieutenant Nicolson's aircraft was hit by four cannon shells, two of which wounded him whilst another set fire to the gravity tank. When about to abandon his aircraft owing to flames in the cockpit he sighted an enemy fighter. This he attacked and shot down, although as a result of staying in his burning aircraft he sustained serious burns to his hands, face, neck and legs. Flight Lieutenant Nicolson has always displayed great enthusiasm for air fighting and this incident shows that he possesses courage and determination of a high order. By continuing to engage the enemy after he had been wounded and his aircraft set on fire, he displayed exceptional gallantry and disregard for the safety of his own life."

So I'm not looking for a magnificent build here, hopefully I can bash it into something half decent, in a short amount of time, and have some fun along the way!

Thanks for looking.

Edited by DAG058
  • Like 5

Here is an image of the box from which the kit belongs.

dd9c52100545c6c4ce97a214d806b26f_zpsuwhp

The Fairey Battle from this kit was the first proper model I made, around about this time last year! I've been hooked ever since no have made about 15 models since, the majority of which I have RFI's for on here, hopefully you will be able to notice an improvement in my skills since that original build!

As previously mentioned, the models in this box are all old tooling, raised panels and giant rivets. As can be seen on the wings, here...

f9fd5b2a0a324ec7feb116683bb0243f_zps2klz

I have decided to sand these down and remove them completely. I am still undecided whether to try and rescribe panel lines. I know it's an area where modellers opinions can vary. My gut feeling is to leave it smooth with no panel lines, the model is 1/72 scale and it is a small aircraft, I think any panel lines may look a bit over the top. However it may be a nice feature and add a bit of depth to the model.

Opinions please?

9efa234ecef41c0cad8fd3c965cfca6c_zpswxi9

Finally here is an image of the decals. Quite a basic affair as to be expected with these old airfix kits. They look fine though, a satin finish and they don't look too thick, they should do the job nicely.

b0abd1a16a0beec6f37c1577fdcabea1_zpsp1rm

I'm about to down tools for the day. I have just attached the wings to the fuselage. I will allow them, and the mass amount of filler that was needed, to dry whilst I'm out watching football. Happy modelling!

Edited by DAG058
  • Like 5

Looking good DAG, especially that pilot - close up shot please!!

Panel lines? Your model, your choice and I think I agree with your comment on the scale, but others will, no doubt, provide more guidance :)

• Like 1

I have decided to sand these down and remove them completely. I am still undecided whether to try and rescribe panel lines. I know it's an area where modellers opinions can vary. My gut feeling is to leave it smooth with no panel lines, the model is 1/72 scale and it is a small aircraft, I think any panel lines may look a bit over the top. However it may be a nice feature and add a bit of depth to the model.

Opinions please?

Quite agree that any visible panel lines are out of scale in 1/72, whether raised or recessed. But equally they can give a bit of depth to those of us who need assistance! From the looks of your pilot, you won't have much problem finding depth on a blank canvas like that - super job.

It's a bit like weathering, which is an art form in itself. I've seen plenty of finished models that have been weathered beautifully, but the art has been pursued to the point where you have a completely inaccurate model!

• Like 1

This is a lovely kits for its age and a worthy subject! I have build the same set.... I didn't, and I hope you didn't either, pay full price for it as the kits involved are pretty bad and need a lot of work... A part from the hurricane really.

Kit decals are sparing of details e.g. stencils but are nice quality and settle down very nicely!

Looking forward to your work! As for the panals, either or its up to you! I personally like them as long as they are not over done

Rob

• Like 1

Re panel lines: Think of three different standards as applying.

1. Anything that has to be moving (ailerons, flaps, elevators, canopy) has a significant gap - especially on any hinged edge.

2. Removable panels (around the engine, gun access, radio bay, fuel cover) has a noticeable gap, even in 1/72.

3. Butt-jointed permanent structure panels are barely visible if at all, and on/near leading edges are likely to be filled anyway.

I suspect that the meeting line between fabric and metal structure on the Hurricane probably belongs in category 2, but it's an interesting point to look at next time you see one.

What that Hurricane kit would benefit from is a widening of the top cowling at the front of the engine, but it looks as though you've gone a bit far to achieve that.

• Like 2

Thank you everyone for your help with this. I am still undecided, I won't be doing anything with it until tomorrow so I have a bit of time to think it through. I am itching to get on with it though, these simple, old-school builds really do wonders for the modelling mojo!

Edited by DAG058

I've spent a while sanding today. The raised panel lines are gone, I've filled all the gaps and sanded the seems down. There was also a lot of flash from misalignment of moulds. Tomorrow I will do a bit more sanding, I've added a bit more filler to the gaps so that will need a tidy up.

I have come to a decision on the panel lines. I am not going to scribe them. I plan to prime the model in a light grey. Then I am goin to attempt to draw panel lines with a pencil. I won't be doing any preshading, however I will apply the paint onto the model as if the pencil panel lines are pre shading and see if they show through. It may work, it may not, either way I'm having fun!

• Like 1

I remember a Hurricane build where the panel lines and rivets were all sanded off and then the lines drawn in with a fine pencil. It was the old MK.I/II kit rather than this one. It looked quite effective when completed. The lines came out a darkish grey colour when varnished. Maybe you could try that first?

Also, someone elsewhere on BM recently suggested cutting the gun bay panels from thin foil and sticking them on. I'm considering having a bash at that myself at some point as I find scribing a bit of a challenge.

Enjoy the build.

John.

• Like 1

A quick update.

I spent an hour or so tonight giving the model a bit of a tidy up. It's fitting in nicely between my othe builds, whilst paint is drying etc.

48542d6bc461090baf9e7a247b70efff_zpsdodb

Still unsure on the panel line situation, I'm now think I will try applying them with pencil after I've done the paint work.

• Like 4

Not a great deal to report today, spent most of my modelling time puting paint onto the Lightning F6 and Fairey Gannet that are also on the bench.

All the Hurricanes small parts are off of the sprue and have been cleaned up ready for priming. I've fitted the canopy and prepared the spinner and prop for painting.

Up next will be masking the canopy which should take not time at all, then it will be time to prime.

6034de5d54b9e84da9e18b5d15d64bb0_zps3x6r

So everything is prepped and ready for primer. I've stuck the prop of just to make sure the fit is ok, I'll whip it back of for painting though.

The spinner on that prop was pretty terrible, they had it so it was two seprerate part. The fit was not good so it's packed out with plent of filler.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a quiet week with this one. Finally back on track with it today though.

I've thrown some brown paint onto it today. I've tried varying the tone, a darker base colour then some lighter patches over the top. I was fearing the lack of panel lines and solid block colours would make it look too 'new'. Hopefully doing this colour variation will break it up a bit and make the aircraft look a bit more weathered.

b3e9f3b05a562de75276d1cfe01ed34d_zpsg5it

• Like 5

Don't ask me DAG, I'm still dithering too! Stew produces great results hand-brushing the second colour, but he does two or three thin coats (needs patience). My Spit has had a thinnish coat of H30 and another thinned coat because you could see the brush marks... rats.

Oh, hang on, you mean free hand with an airbrush?? Way beyond me but I'll watch with interest! Surely you must at least mask the demarcation? (And stop calling me Shirley) :)

Don't ask me DAG, I'm still dithering too! Stew produces great results hand-brushing the second colour, but he does two or three thin coats (needs patience). My Spit has had a thinnish coat of H30 and another thinned coat because you could see the brush marks... rats.

Oh, hang on, you mean free hand with an airbrush?? Way beyond me but I'll watch with interest! Surely you must at least mask the demarcation? (And stop calling me Shirley) :)

Airbrush all the way, I'm not skilled enough to use hairy sticks! I can free hand with a fine needle and get a fairly tight line. It is not as sharp as it would be If I had masked it though.

I think I've just answered the question, I should really take the time and mask it up!

• Like 1

I've got some green on. Decided to go free hand, it worked alright I think, quite good fun too and saved the boredom of masking.

I plan to do a bit more work on it, similar to what I did with the brown, just to try and break it up a bit.

edf28efb41d867397545f52442a636b4_zps47xf

• Like 3

I've just tried mixing the Tamiya paint I used for the green with some Vallejo white to make it a lighter shade for the effect I was going to try. It turns out they don't like to go together though, the Vallejo paint went flecky and sunk to the bottom! Seeing as this is supposed to be a quick build I'm just going to crack on, I'll have to try some other weathering techniques instead.