Is the Airfix 1/48 Lynx HMA.8 fit really bad ? DECISION MADE

Rickpadwick1801

Hi guys,

I'm keeping the kit. I just need to see if I can get some aftermarket decals for HMS daring's aircraft (daring darling).

I will have a look at the lynx stgb threads when I get home tonight as I will be on my laptop.

Thanks again.

Rick

Pity you are down under Rob, Tesco in the UK has them at 12 Pouns 50 online... If you have friends or relatives there, maybe they could get you one but I think you'd have to be quick.

Colin

Edited by heloman1

Pity you are down under Rob, Tesco in the UK has them at 12 Pouns 50 online... If you have friends or relatives there, maybe they could get you one but I think you'd have to be quick.

Colin

I do actually have family in Bordon, Hants, just around the corner from the closest Tesco (I've shopped there.) And, according to the Tesco website, I can order from overseas for delivery to a UK address. However, given the cost of postage from the UK, I'm not sure that there'd be much to gain from doing it that way.

I do actually have family in Bordon, Hants, just around the corner from the closest Tesco (I've shopped there.) And, according to the Tesco website, I can order from overseas for delivery to a UK address. However, given the cost of postage from the UK, I'm not sure that there'd be much to gain from doing it that way.

Order two, still cheaper than the original price... Yep, the postage is the swine, which is one thing I don't understand. The more the PO becomes automated the more the cost of postage rises. I thoughth the expensive componant was the labour?

Colin

Edited by heloman1

Hi Rick,

I built one of these for another forum's Fleet Air Arm SIG. As others have mentioned the only real fit issue is the inner cabin parts with the outer fuselage halves, all that was needed was a bit of sanding and a couple of check fits. Everything else fits just fine, I'm pretty sure I didn't use any filler at all.

There is a difference between the regular boxing and the gift set boxing, at least with mine, the decals for the gift set are much less comprehensive, however a quick email to Airfix and they sent me the regular decals for a small charge.

For the aftermarket side of things I used the Eduard Big Ed set, Rotorcraft resin sponsons and the Xtradecal 48110 decal set. For me the aftermarket was a must but I maintain the things for a living and I'd know if a certain feature was missing. In fact the gift set boxing was my Flight aircraft, so I had to buy it and that's what got me into modelling.

There are a few knowledgeable chaps on here regarding Lynx's, particularly Lynx 7 and his stickies, but if you need any help with what's what send me a pm and i'll try and assist.

DSC_1598-1_zps8910c183.jpg

DSC_1601-4_zpsf06efad5.jpg

• Like 2

If it helps Rick, I'll build mine alongside. A sort of 'buddy build' thread. That way we can encourage each other as we progress. But looking back there are good links and plenty of inspiration threads here.

• Like 1

If it helps Rick, I'll build mine alongside. A sort of 'buddy build' thread. That way we can encourage each other as we progress. But looking back there are good links and plenty of inspiration threads here.

Hi Paul,

I won't be able to start the kit until sometime in August as I'm not allowed to have it till my birthday (which is 23rd July) and then I'm away for the 1st week of August. If your OK to wait till then a buddy build would be good ?

Cheers,

Rick

Are the parts included to do an early Danish aircraft?

This pic is from airliners.net, but I saw one in these exact colors (it may have been this one) decades ago in Keflavik, Iceland, while on deployment and I've been wanting one in 1/48 ever since.

0316733_zpsc9796a46.jpg

I do know the current kit has Danish markings for the newer version, but I kind of like it without all the excrescences on the nose... :tumble:

Thanks guys,

Luckily as it is through tescos I can just say I've changed my mind and get a refund for it.

I'm not really into the filling of gaps and sanding things down to make them fit together properly.

Oh well back to the drawing board for this years birthday present from the missus.

Cheers,

Rick

To be fair ANY kit is going to have fit problems somewhere so filling and sanding is part and parcel of modelling I'm afraid.

To be fair ANY kit is going to have fit problems somewhere so filling and sanding is part and parcel of modelling I'm afraid.

I know, I have experienced some very good models i.e. Revell USS Voyager NCC-74656 which needed no filling.

I am keeping the Lynx kit.

Thank you, Andy, I'll have to keep that in mind when (if) I pick up a Mk.8. I've already got the AH.7, and it looks pretty nice, in the box, but of course, that doesn't really give any data about fit. :ike:

Hi Paul,

I won't be able to start the kit until sometime in August as I'm not allowed to have it till my birthday (which is 23rd July) and then I'm away for the 1st week of August. If your OK to wait till then a buddy build would be good ?

Cheers,

Rick

Perfect by me! I'm not exactly in a hurry. And depending on the real world I may or may not be in work after the news I got today so will have by the look of things have plenty of quality modelling time. Its a date Rick!