Robby the Robot & GUNTER Robot B9 double bill + surprise (maybe)

Looking better and better each time I look.

Seems daft that you can only fit the arms pointing straight out, looks like it will overballance to me, maybe it was designed this way with the intention of holding that figure of altaire?

yeah, PL have made the arm sockets oval instead or round, so there's no room to maneuver at all.

Even the hands point straight out - I should maybe have thought that one through before assembling everything. It looks like he should be carrying a tray full of tea and biscuits or something (that's tea and and cookies to you George)

• Like 1

Whatever you do - if you try and move the arms, you end up with gaps. It's just not worth the hassle.

I may fill the inside of the legs with resin before I close him up. At least that will help provide additional stability

I think you have done a bang up job on the head. There is far more detail to it than I thought you could possibly get. Well done. For a small post according to you, it seems like you got a lot accomplished. Robby looks great.

It looks like he should be carrying a tray full of tea and biscuits or something (that's tea and and cookies to you George)

Just out of curiosity, what do you call biscuits?

what you call biscuits are more like what we call scones.

And generally the British like their biscuits with a bit of crunch to them. - none of this soggy moist nonsense. That comes soon enough as you get old(er)

Doesn't sound like it would go good with cream gravy, what is the point of biscuits then?

that's what we have doughballs for, as in mince 'n' doughballs.

and you bring up another point.... gravy is markedly different on both sides of the pond. In the UK, it's a thin(nish) meat based sauce poured over the meat and potatoes.

Over here, it's thick, very thick, can contain bits of sausage or other unidentified solids, can be eaten by itself for breakfast. Served usually on the side, but can be used to obliterate other foodstuffs. Oh, and is served with scones biscuits in it.

.... can contain bits of sausage or other unidentified solids,

begads, I forgot to mention - even suasage is different here. believe me when I tell you, you can't get a decent sausage for luv nor money.

I have to make my own square sausage

doughballs? you mean dumplings...

edit: oh and the head looks amazing, beautiful bit of work there!

doughballs.... dumplings..... we know what we mean.

My grandmother was from Ireland and she always called them doughballs (the dumplings that is.....)

Edited by hendie

Bet you we are making Nigel jealous as we have taken away his monopoly on food talk. Notice he is particulary silent regarding this conversation? Hmmmm. . . .

Sorry had to ask, how different can sausage be, some sort of skin/packaging sheath; unknown or questionable parts from animals ground up into an unrecognizable mush so you cannot determine the part's origin; seasoned to taste; optional amount of filler material, also of unknown or questionable origin. Voila, sausage!!

• Like 1

Have you ever seen the difference between oscar meyers bacon and good old british bacon?

Tried some of the american stuff I found in asda, it was good, but totally different to ours.

I like the square sausage as well, I find them here called lorne sausage.

You got me thinking of a good old fry up now, you sods.

Matt.

• Like 1

George, until you have tasted square sausage on a roll, you ain't had sausage, believe me.

You would think that sausage couldn't be that different, but I have to admit, the old British banger takes a lot of beating. And as for black pudding - well, I think at some point I am going to have to try and make my own here. I've bought what I can find but it really isn't up to much.

I do like the bacon here though, and even scrapple has it's place.

With this build nearing it's end, I have to start thinking about the next adventure.

I stated at the beginning of this thread that there was a surprise - that was a land speeder for Robby. The question is - do I continue this build thread and scratch build a land speeder for Robby? It's fairly simple geometry, so shouldn't be too difficult. Certainly easier than anything I have done so far (I think)

or do I head off in a completely different direction? and take a break from this for a while.

I have a small helicopter I started a while back but never than gluing about 3 pieces together.

I won a small non military type aircraft on ebay the other day - 'funny how it turns out - I have been trying to get one of these for several months, and was always out bid at the last moment. This time I forgot that I had made a bid and I actually won it.

I also have several Wessex in the stash, but I want them to be detailed builds, so I'll maybe save them for later.

oh, almost forgot - I also have the Comet Dalek which is on another thread here - but that's my "go to when I'm bored or frustrated" build

So my options are:

Continue and scratch build Robby's land speeder

Small Helicopter, actually a Dauphin

Small aircraft: BN Islander

thoughts? suggestions???

Edited by hendie

Has to be the BN Islander in the livery of the shortest flight in the world. I wonder how much a 2 minute flight costs? And do you still have to get to the airport 2 hours ahead of time to fly it?

Bet you we are making Nigel jealous as we have taken away his monopoly on food talk. Notice he is particulary silent regarding this conversation? Hmmmm. . . .

Sorry had to ask, how different can sausage be, some sort of skin/packaging sheath; unknown or questionable parts from animals ground up into an unrecognizable mush so you cannot determine the part's origin; seasoned to taste; optional amount of filler material, also of unknown or questionable origin. Voila, sausage!!

I have been busy Banana Building, sorry.

Change direction and do the helicopter

Not sure if this is the right place to for this, so mods feel to relocate. Paragrafix are to shortly release an etch set for the recently released B-9 Robot.

http://www.paragrafix.biz/product_detail.asp?PPartNum=pgx185

Marty...

Looks nice but am I alone in thinking that these are vastly overpriced, and that they always seem to miss some really obvious parts that would really make a difference to a model?

For example, 1) the knee joints, 2) the control panel inside the front waist window - the one with the tape machine etc., 3) The panel opening on the front of the tread box, 4) anything else.

Looking at this particular one, it seems to me that they've added the "bonus" medallions purely to fill up the remaining space.

I might have considered paying $10 for it, but $30 by the time I pay P&P??? Not a chance buddy, sorry.

Golden opportunity missed in my opinion.

Now, where were we??? Oh yes, I had just blu-tac'd a clear shaped moon thingy onto Robby's ear. I really must gen up on my terminology on these things.

Here are all four glued in place. The two on the left were stuck in place using standard liquid polystyrene cement. I left them overnight before I attempted to remove the blu-tac support. They seem secure enough, but were not completely rigid - they will be fragile but I am not intending to handle this much at all.

The two on the right I decided to glue using superglue. I realized there was a risk of the parts fogging, but I reckoned if that happened, they could be broken off easily, and I could make two more without any problem. - It seemed worth a try!

They were duly blu-tac'd in place, then I applied superglue using the end of a pin. I then spent the next ten minutes gently blowing over the parts in the hope that I could keep any fumes from fogging the parts. They were then left overnight also.

S5001302.JPG

Upon inspection the following day, I could see a very slight fogging right at the root of the parts where they joined the ear, nothing more. Success. I can live with that amount of fogging.

The scummy marks you see on the parts around the center portion is blu-tac residue which I cleaned off.

S5001303.JPG

I then had the crazy idea of filling the legs with resin in an attempt to stabilize Robby, as he is pretty top heavy otherwise - made worse by holding his arms straight out in front of him.

Just to make sure I didn't get any resin on the body, I did a quick masking job.... just in case.

S5001304.JPG

Of course, after I had poured the resin into the leg cavities, I remembered the reaction - heat !!!

I then spent a very nervous half hour as I could feel the heat building up inside the legs, and I had visions of the paint peeling off, or the seams separating.

Thankfully, after a while I could feel things cooling down and there were no apparent side effects.

Tonight I closed him up, gluing the head into place on the body......

S5001305.JPG

S5001306.JPG

S5001307.JPG

S5001308.JPG

S5001310.JPG

Robby needs a bit of a dust down, but.... Build finished !!!

I really think that the work I did scratch building the ears made a world of difference to the model. I couldn't have lived with using the kit parts. The work wasn't too difficult and I think anyone with moderate scratch building skills would be able to accomplish the task.

On a larger scale, I may have attempted to scratch the saxophone tubes as well, but on this scale - they'll do.

now for the next project.... whatever that turns out to be....

... or will it be the land speeder???

Edited by hendie
  • Like 3

Looks superb, nicely done. The head looks excellent well worth the effort.

You must be feeling bereft now with all the hard work of the two builds out of the way now!

• Like 1

I would not discount the making of the 3 white wire thingys in his head (another very technical term, I know). The work you did on the ears and to put inside of the very large clear head section coupled with the wire loops on the side of the head have made a world of difference to Robby. It looks great Hendie. In fact, I don't know which one is more impressive Robby or B-9. I am waiting on the Moebius 1/6 B-9. It was on sale on Squadron and I was a very bad boy late one night. Squadron will love me, but I gots a bit carried away. I will tell you, one of the benefits of living in DFW is the fact Squadron is so close and it is like a junkie's paradise when they will open their doors to the public in May as they do every year for a weekend.

Back to this build. I really think between this build and the spy car you should pick an easy, no fuss, OOB build to recuperate. Then, tackle something outrageous!!!

• Like 1