Bell Airacobra I+Navy version 1/72 RS models

Hi, here is two Bell Airacobras Mk.I from RS models build OOB.

Autor Horr!do.

Airacobra Mk.I, 601. Squadron flown by F/Lt. Himr(Czech), Manston 1941. Colors Agama Red line and Tamiya acryl.

AiracobraI_1_zps66b7ee99.jpg

AiracobraI_2_zps9f5c57a0.jpg

AiracobraI_3_zps49b2f406.jpg

Autor Martin Nikl

Airacobra Mk.I Navalised version, used to carrier landing trials by Royal Navy on the end of WW2. Colors Agama Red line and Tamiya acryl.

AiracobraNavy_1_zps079bfbe1.jpg

AiracobraNavy_2_zpsa2a6a143.jpg

AiracobraNavy_3_zps1ce5de76.jpg

AiracobraNavy_4_zps8e61e02c.jpg

AiracobraNavy_5_zps072f16eb.jpg

I hope you like it.

Edited by Horr!do
  • Like 2

Hello Horr!do,i love your models,especialy the second one,can i make one small point,i think you have put the arrestor hook on back to front and upside down,but apart from that they are second to none,and better than my efforts i have to say........Neil

This Navy Airacobra used to first carrier landing by a tricycle undercarriage aircraft on 4 April 1945 on HMS Pretoria Castle. Its mybe tested for future aircraft carrier based Jet planes. It was scrapped on the recommendation of a visiting Bell test pilot in March 1946.

Very nice indeed and I especially like the navalised one. I`ve just bought the kit myself so hope that mine comes out half as nice, what was the kit like to build?

Cheers

Tony O

Good grief, carrier landings would have been VERY punishing on the nose gear leg. I can see why they did the hook that way, so it would drop down pretty far (that way the aircraft could theoretically come down at a flatter angle, probably to minimize nose gear bounce). I had no idea the RN even used an Airacobra for this kind of testing. I might want to do the same thing with a Hasegawa P-400 kit in 1/48. The black and white photo roundels also make the thing look like a flying "crash test dummy".

Very nice work on both of these!